Mass Effect 2: More waxing goddamn nostalgic.

Vin

I guess it's a bug. When you finish the game, it creates a hidden 'completed' save file linked to that career. I guess in hiding it, they're also making it invisible to the 360 when you transfer saves from one device to another.

That makes sense. Its a shame, as I reckon its probably happened to quite a few people.

I enjoyed going back to the original game though, but I imagine theres a lot of people who no longer have the original game and so cant continue with thier save. Seems like a really odd choice to make by bioware.

Making it less of a dead cert that people would join your team would have made for more challenge and upped the interest in getting them. Collecting my squad and the loyalty missions felt like side missions. As far as I could see, the loyalty missions just gained an additional power. Why did they not up sticks and leave if you opted not to do them?

Replaying me1 reminds me how much fun driving the mako was. Did anyone but the station expansion pack?

That makes sense. Its a shame, as I reckon its probably happened to quite a few people.

I enjoyed going back to the original game though, but I imagine theres a lot of people who no longer have the original game and so cant continue with thier save. Seems like a really odd choice to make by bioware.

I think it's a bug/oversight rather than a choice on their part. In order to fix it, they'd need to patch the original game to make the 'invisible completed save' visible when transferring saves from one hard drive/memory card to another. And then you'd need the original game anyway, in order to patch it, and it'd only work for saves that haven't been transferred yet. I guess they don't feel as though it's worth updating the game for this reason alone. I don't know why, or how much of a mission it would be to do that.

The loading times are irritating on the Normandy. Having gone to speak to someone as instructed, I return only to be told X now wants to speak -cue more bloody loading - fucking tedious cobblers that could have been better designed.

That said, I think the game has been ever so slightly overrated. It's good but not that good.

It actually amuses me how gushing the reviews have been compared to the first when to my mind as an experience it really hasn't changed that much from the original in terms of what you actually do.

I'm probably now as obsessive about this as I was about the first one as a game world but is the combat actually hugely improved like the reviewers think it is? Don't get me wrong - I personally love it but it's still to my mind as clunky as in the original - getting stuck on walls/cover still happens a lot, running about like a loony, crashing into squadmates. The cover system is actually even fiddlier than before, it seems to have difficulty distinguishing in whether you want to duck under a low platform or place yourself behind higher wall cover - especially on those H-shaped barriers (or diagonal balconies/stairs. Sometimes it'll arbitrarily not let me pop out of cover to fire when I press the trigger for no good reason, leaving me scratching my head, and necessitating more running about like a loon to a new hiding spot. Sometimes powers seem to shoot off in completely the wrong direction, despite me (as far as I know) having carefully targeted an enemy. Don't remember that happening in the first game.

Ditto for the 'improved' dialogue system - it's a bit more dynamic visually but you still find yourself going round in dialogue circles or missing stuff unless you take the same slightly repeitive 'investigate - click all left hand dialogue options until they disappear - click on right hand dialogue options' route. I missed out on a whole load of back-story dialogue with Archangel because I got caught up in the coversation and asked the questions in the order I wanted to, rather than strictly following the 'pattern'.

The loading times on the Normandy are annoying, especially when you only want to go to your cabin and change outfits or

feed your fish.

And personally I think the new load screens break up the illusion of moving through a cohesive ship more than the old elevators.

And I'm sorry, but the planet scanning mini-game is far more boring and pointless than anything you ever had to do in the Mako. Move cursor across spherical object while holding down trigger - press another trigger at random intervals- repeat until tedium sets in. I can't imagine what they were thinking.

Oh and another thing that got my goat las night after finishing a few side-missions 'PRESS B TO END MISSION' plastered across the middle of my screen. Actually I just want to wander around for a bit, enjoy the atmosphere and finish collecting stuff. Thanks for reminding me I'm in a game.

Heh, you woud'nt think I was loving this would you?

The combat is a completely different beast to the original. I finished a Lv 50 playthrough of ME1 a little while before ME2 hit. Those cover issues sound like the cover issues I've been having since R6 Vegas and Gears now and again in pretty much every game that uses them- but regardless of that, the ammo and new weapons system, new powers, body hit detection, fight areas designed for flanking- its massively improved.

Also as for powers shooting off, they were way easier to miss and waste them in the first game- esp if enemies were behind something- in ME2 some of the powers even curve around cover- generally much more effective than 1.

I've never gotten stuck on the terrain or walls and cover. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Me either at much if it all, but when people tend to have cover issues its usually across the whole genre- they all catch people out like that sometimes.

Same with powers, I find them very easy to aim in ME2 and curveballing an incineration around a corner to roast the blood pack pyro hiding behind it is just glorious.

Yep, in ME1 so many times a biotic power was wasted because the enemy dipped out of range or behind something. Way more ffective now

The combat is a completely different beast to the original. I finished a Lv 50 playthrough of ME1 a little while before ME2 hit. Those cover issues sound like the cover issues I've been having since R6 Vegas and Gears now and again in pretty much every game that uses them- but regardless of that, the ammo and new weapons system, new powers, body hit detection, fight areas designed for flanking- its massively improved.

Fair point, it did seem to come to head last night during the

prison

breakout due to the amount of fire I was under from all directions - having to change my angle of cover during an interesting flanking attempt was becoming a bit frustrating. Fabulous mission though.

Same with powers, I find them very easy to aim in ME2 and curveballing an incineration around a corner to roast the blood pack pyro hiding behind it is just glorious.

Must admit this is bloody marvellous and the main reason I'm glad I took the biotic route for my character.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... Infiltrator is an awesome class.

Sniper rifle for long range, pistol for medium range, sub machine gun for close range + incinerate, cloaking = pure WIN!

I've just learnt 'slam' too, which should be all kinds of awesome.

Ditto for the 'improved' dialogue system - it's a bit more dynamic visually but you still find yourself going round in dialogue circles or missing stuff unless you take the same slightly repeitive 'investigate - click all left hand dialogue options until they disappear - click on right hand dialogue options' route. I missed out on a whole load of back-story dialogue with Archangel because I got caught up in the coversation and asked the questions in the order I wanted to, rather than strictly following the 'pattern'.

Totally agree with this. I actually really like the idea of a game with a focus on conversation, but the mechanics haven't really progressed in any way since KOTOR. And I personally don't find the story/dialogue compelling enough to overcome the tedium of working systematically through a dialogue tree. Oh, and final whine: I often get Renegade points for no apparent reason.

I got some mystery renegade points too on my paragon playthrough. I assumed my morality meter was off and I had missed something naughty I had done or it was just a bug- I read somewhere it was the latter I think

This has new game plus, right? I'm playing as a good infiltrator but I fancy rushing to the end, switching to soldier and playing through on a harder difficulty. How much do I get to keep? Can I change sex?

You need to start a new game, not new game plus

I got some mystery renegade points too on my paragon playthrough. I assumed my morality meter was off and I had missed something naughty I had done or it was just a bug- I read somewhere it was the latter I think

That's good to know - ta, Uzi.

It's pretty cool when your entire team, you included, go crazy with powers. Pulling enemies out of cover so a team mate can set the flying body ablaze with a shotgun and inferno combo, enemies being frozen so my Vanguard can shatter them, dashing into a Krogan and toasting him with the flamethrower (tremendous weapon by the way)... Great scenes. :lol:

It's not a bug. Some actions are broadly 'paragon' but still have edge of renegade, or vice versa. Neutral options sometimes give you equal amounts of both.

An example would be convincing Patriarch to face down his enemies - it's a renegade choice but you're doing the 'right thing' and thus you get paragon points too.

I'll need to take note next time of the dual rewards so I see what I did, I can see why the patriach thing you said makes sense so I must have done stuff like that and not switched on to the edgey parts of my decisions

According to the ME2 site, you can have gay & lesbian relationships too?

You could have a lesbian relationship in the first one as well

Apparently dropped. There's dialogue for a F/F and M/M relationship with existing characters on the disc, it's just not enabled. A shame.

I'm pretty sure the on-disc thing was just ME1. Kaidan and Ashley romance dialogue for male/female Shepard respectively was recorded and included on disc but not implemented. ME2 doesn't have this, I'm fairly sure.

Shepard being gay whether Male or female just doesn't sit with me, it just doesn't seem right, the characters are so well defined that reguardless of Paragon or Renegade I can't see them as anything other than hetrosexual. I fucked everything I could in Dragon age with both my male and female chars but the people you play in that game seems to be left far more open to interpretation and they don't really have a defined personality.