Mass Effect 2: More waxing goddamn nostalgic.

Vin

Are you saying that gay people don't have a defined personality?

You humans are all homophobic.

No i'm saying that the personality of Shepard seems to be pretty well defined as hetrosexual throughout both games, the Liara romance in the first game with a female Shepard just feels wedged in for 14 year olds to wank over and doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Making progress on Insanity with my infiltrator. Naturally it's a bit stop start at times but

Horizon

was easier than expected using my tried and trusted tactic of running to the side area and staying there (a few husk pop up in that area but otherwise it gives a good vantage point and decent distance from all other enemies). The three uses of the cloak - extra damage, cover to change position or cover to pick up ammo - mean that sections where nothing comes forward to charge you are all do-able with sufficient patience, even with both team mates dead. Incinerate gets you out of realy tight spots where the angles don't work or you have no ammo at all. I've gone back to warp ammo as the bonus skill because I want cloak to be available as often as possible. Team wise its usually Miranda because whilst she is otherwise insufferable she has both warp and overload, and Grunt as tank who is about the only one capable of surviving a husk rush. Miranda needs to be tethered to cover though since she gets gung ho at times. A few tips so far (no story spoilers just refer to places, team members etc)

On the mission to recruit Grunt put on the cloak and run down to the door below to avoid the procession of krogans which come from the walkway above. Same mission climax, if you are really struggling to put down the woman quickly, retry - about one in three times I have found the big mech gets stuck on the upper level opposite and does not attack you - leaving you to concentrate on her and to direct your teammates to attack the first krogan which will hopefully also be the LAST krogan. On Jack's mission at the end take down the shield as quickly as possible to minimise the number of other enemies which appear.

Not looking forward to THE Spike TM at all.

Anyone else have a chuckle over the news of the day yesterday re Valentine's day potential being recognised by Asari and Volus?

I'm pretty sure the on-disc thing was just ME1. Kaidan and Ashley romance dialogue for male/female Shepard respectively was recorded and included on disc but not implemented. ME2 doesn't have this, I'm fairly sure.

It's in the second too, I heard the recorded dialogue on a Youtube, I'll look it up later.

If it looks like a girl, it's a girl.

Until you find they have a wang :lol:

You should be safe, as far as I can tell Asari have sex Demolition Man style using melding.

I have to wonder how detailed BioWare's internal story bible is about this sort of stuff. Must have made for some interesting round table discussions.

That’s because they cut out all the dialogue that relates to homosexual relationships.

I can understand if they took gay romance out of the second game, it'd be very weird if Shepard all of a sudden started showing affection for men when you haven't seen a hint of it before and especially as he'd been shown to be nothing but hetrosexual in the first game. Same goes for the female Shepard as well, I just didn't buy the lesbian romance in the first one as I said previously.

Speaking of Asari, that Salarian out with his Asari daughter looking for a present for his wife to remember him by once he dies was really depressing.

(for the Codexphobic of you out there, Asari tend to live 200 times as long as Salarians)

It's like the 'oh man' version of the Asari and Turian in Citadel Souvenirs. "Is this the lifespan talk? I'm not having the lifespan talk again."

Which I can understand if they took it out of the second game, it'd be very weird if Shepard all of a sudden started showing affection for men in the second game when you haven't seen a hint of it before.

You could say the same about the sudden xenophilia. "Hey there,

Tali, recently I've found your chicken feet incredibly erotic.

"

Personally I'm all for giving people's Shepards more options, although a more pressing inclusion would be hair that doesn't look like it's constructed out of papier mache.

I can understand if they took gay romance out of the second game, it'd be very weird if Shepard all of a sudden started showing affection for men when you haven't seen a hint of it before and especially as he'd been shown to be nothing but hetrosexual in the first game.

Are there unavoidable instances in the first game where Shepard acts in a particularly heterosexual way, regardless of the player's intentions? I mean, if he rejected the advances of the Ashley and Liara in Mass Effect, then struck up a relationship with a male character in the sequel, would it seem that weird and out of place?

A complete failure in other words! At least I have my picture of Liara to keep me company.

Mine got turned face down because I cheated.

I was reading a blog sort-of-review-thing on this, and it came up with a few points and flaws that I hadn't considered.

The whole Cerberus thing is really abrupt, they go from being a super-evil organisation in the first to a largely whitewashed group in the next and the ease with which people go to working for them is kind of silly. I mean, I give it a bit of a pass because the first game was so affected by its deadline that they couldn't really elaborate on Cerberus there, or make them look a bit better (In fact, I seem to remember rumours of Mass Effect "1.5" story DLC for the first that never came out that could have done just this), and that ultimately I can see it for the rather over-elaborate way of resetting your character that it is.

But it still leaves niggles. The Illusive Man is never really built up as an important character, just quickly introduced; the size and capabilities of Cerberus seem to fluctuate between galaxy spanning Illuminati and small-but-lucrative terrorist cell. If you chose the "Sole Survivor" background, like I did, Cerberus are responsible for the incident on Akuze in Shephards backstory, but it's never mentioned by anyone in the game. And the doctor joined up because she liked space travel! Isn't that like joining Al Qaeda because you got fired from being an air hostess and wanted to fly again?

Also

Mordin

has a

Seeker

that he's studying, but we never encountered them at that point. All we'd seen were CCTV pictures of them.

I thought they were very successful at focusing on the characters and their dramas since, being the middle part of a trilogy and all, they couldn't really offer us an amazing conclusion that we wanted. The main plot does come off as the weakest part of it though.

It's very successful with the small-scale, more personal stuff, but I've always thought the furthering of the main storyline's not its greatest achievement. There was a real dramatic arc and epic sweep to the first, and everything felt really weighty and consequential (sometimes surprisingly so, but never incongruously). ME2 seems to break off from that narratively as well as in tone.

As well as the things you mention, I found the fates of a few of the original characters didn't really gel with what had happened in ME1 and thereafter. Or, at least, that they fell too easily into other walks of life and attitudes towards the recent, apocalyptic, past. Some of the continuations just felt a bit like lip service (although others were excellent and wholly congruous with what had gone before).

But, yes, the Cerberus thing was a niggle story-wise throughout, and even the reappearance of the Protheans was a bit... well, odd. If they were there all along as slaves of the Reapers you'd have thought they might have made a play a bit earlier in the timeline rather than wait until just after ME1 ended ("Oh - what are Collectors?", Shepard's reaction seems to be. "Good job they never showed up when Saren did, or we'd have been royally fucked!"). But the main thing for me was the just too-convenient revelation that suddenly, after God knows how long, the Geth we've known and reviled for aeons weren't really the Geth at all, just a lunatic sect, and the True Geth haven't been seen by anyone until now, just in time for one of them to join Shep's party. A bit of a Halo 2 moment, that.

But it all worked really well in the context of the smaller scale and the denser personal relationships in ME2. As much as I love the game (and I do), it doesn't quite click with ME1 for me.

Having had time to let my first playthrough sink in, I'd rate this one about the same as the first one. Combat, inventory etc. are much improved, but I did feel the story was a little bit weaker than the first one, more episodic and stop-start in nature.

There was such a huge, slow build up as you gather your team, that the suicide mission when it finally arrived felt rushed. I somehow got the feeling that the human reaper was meant to be scary, but I actually laughed when I saw it. It looked daft. The boss fight reminded me of the awful boss fight at the end of Bioshock. I couldn't quite believe I was fighting this stupid looking thing in an otherwise utterly cool game.

Having had time to let my first playthrough sink in, I'd rate this one about the same as the first one. Combat, inventory etc. are much improved, but I did feel the story was a little bit weaker than the first one, more episodic and stop-start in nature.

There was such a huge, slow build up as you gather your team, that the suicide mission when it finally arrived felt rushed. I somehow got the feeling that the human reaper was meant to be scary, but I actually laughed when I saw it. It looked daft. The boss fight reminded me of the awful boss fight at the end of Bioshock. I couldn't quite believe I was fighting this stupid looking thing in an otherwise utterly cool game.

There's artwork of what it originally looked like doing the rounds. It's disappointing they went with the latter design, as the one in the artwork looks great and much more believable.

*SPOILERS*

http://imgur.com/hsOPm.jpg

*SPOILERS*

That's much better, and anything more Gigeresque's usually preferable. Perhaps they thought it was a bit too organic-looking, but given the macguffin that justifies the boss they might as well have torn up the Reaper Rulebook altogether and gone for it. With some metal bits glued on.

There's artwork of what it originally looked like doing the rounds. It's disappointing they went with the latter design, as the one in the artwork looks great and much more believable.

*SPOILERS*

http://imgur.com/hsOPm.jpg

*SPOILERS*

That looks great. I can see why they might have taken it out

considering it looks like an unborn child and in the US right wing groups and media might have gone mental over it. When the original ME came out I'm sure some politican said it encouraged rape or cyber sex crimes

But the main thing for me was the just too-convenient revelation that suddenly, after God knows how long, the Geth we've known and reviled for aeons weren't really the Geth at all, just a lunatic sect, and the True Geth haven't been seen by anyone until now, just in time for one of them to join Shep's party. A bit of a Halo 2 moment, that.

I really like this, actually.

Showing that the Geth have more motivation than being simply reaper-worshipping synthetics was one of the best parts of ME2, for me. It could have been simply the switcharound that you describe, but instead the situation with the Heretic Geth and the True Geth shows that they both have the same goals - to eventually construct a single super-Geth so that they can all be together and more connected - but with different ways of achieving this goal. The True Geth want to do it by themselves, while the Heretic Geth wanted to use Reaper technology to achieve it faster. This plays into the larger themes that are especially prevalent in ME2, which is that technological advancement due to outside forces is wrong. For instance, the Salarian uplift of the Krogan, or at the very end, using the Collector Base to fight the Reapers. It's thematically very satisfying, for me, and has the bonus of making the Geth actually interesting.

As well as the things you mention, I found the fates of a few of the original characters didn't really gel with what had happened in ME1 and thereafter. Or, at least, that they fell too easily into other walks of life and attitudes towards the recent, apocalyptic, past. Some of the continuations just felt a bit like lip service (although others were excellent and wholly congruous with what had gone before)

I agree, although I realise that the time-skip is to change them as characters so:

i) new players won't be lost and...

ii) they'll have something fresh to chat about...

Garrus and Liara did rather go against what they said they'd do in the first game. Garrus planned on going back to C-Sec and taking the Spectre trials again but became the Punisher in Space, and Liara talked about continuing her archaeology on Ilos but became Baron Vos crossed with Benezia. I've got to wonder if the same thing'll happen in the sequel, what with Samara talking about staying on Omega awhile.

Must disagree with you on the Geth though. The "Enemy Civil War" is a well-trodden concept (Battlestar Galactica, the main influence for the Geth and the Quarians, did the same thing [and what in scifi isn't a well-trodden concept?]); I found them and the additions to the Geth lore to be really interesting.

Blimey, embedded brackets. I really need to structure my thoughts better. And b ) B) ruins so many posts.

Regarding characters since ME1...

I felt Garrus was entirely in line with his character. The first time you meet Garrus, he's chafing at C-Sec for being too restrictive and not letting him do what he feels is necessary to do his job. He expands on this theme throughout ME1, embodying the paragon/renegade conflict. It's not much of a stretch to think that, in the two years since Shepard's death, he would have finally snapped and had enough of C-Sec and decided to do the vigilante thing.

Liara, yeah, that one stretches credibility.

Geth:

I've just started going through ME1 again and one of the first things they say after the Eden Prime mission is that the Geth haven't been seen outside the veil since they drove the Quarians off their home planet. It's easy enough to assume from this that all Geth are therefore evil robot bastards but the new touchy-feely ones in ME2 don't contradict anything from ME1.

I like the idea that most of them are peaceful and they've just been looking after the Quarian homeworld for them until they come home. It makes the inevitable war all the more bittersweet.

Regarding characters since ME1...

I felt Garrus was entirely in line with his character. The first time you meet Garrus, he's chafing at C-Sec for being too restrictive and not letting him do what he feels is necessary to do his job. He expands on this theme throughout ME1, embodying the paragon/renegade conflict. It's not much of a stretch to think that, in the two years since Shepard's death, he would have finally snapped and had enough of C-Sec and decided to do the vigilante thing.

Liara, yeah, that one stretches credibility.

Yep,

I too felt Garrus' character development worked really well. It felt utterly believable. He became a much more interesting character as a result. I used him on missions a lot more in ME2 than I did in ME1. It was cool to have him around.

And Liara's was a bit odd. From a naive, soppy brained nerd to a hard bitten information broker in the space of two years? Seemed a bit daft. I could imagine her maybe working on the fringes of such a profession, having been changed by the death of her mother, and the things she's seen, but not someone who takes charge. By the way, what did the Shadow Broker do to her? Do we ever find out? I guess that could've been an influence on her current character.

Just finished it, so can finally read this thread.

Worried that every other videogame is going to look like utter shit from now on. Some small flaws in ME2, but overall it's my favourite game of all time by some distance. Felt like it was made for me, and hopefully the future DLC will be worth getting. :omg:

Okay, so for the first playthrough I was a male goodie-two-shoes Sentinel. Unfortunately I don't have a female character save from the first game - I want to play an evil bitch, but which class should I pick to have a really different experience from my first ME2 playthrough?

ME3 is obviously now my most anticipated game of the forever.

Character development spoiler:

I agree with most of what's been said - Garrus' was the best (it developed a slightly second-rate character into something far more compelling and fit brilliantly with his own renegade blossoming), and Liara's the worst (just ... didn't make any real sense at all in view of her history and previous character).

About the Geth stuff: sure, it's been done before in other sci-fi. I just found it a bit disappointing that a potentially great baddie was turned into your bezza mate. As usual. I'm going to forgive it this time, but if a renegade Prothean group teams up with you in ME3, I'll shed real human blood.

If you ask her, she tells you but strangely enough, you only get one chance in the entire game to find out her motivation.

The Shadow Broker got hold of Shepard's body and was all set to sell it to the Collectors. Liara and some Drell pal of hers went to get it back, with her friend getting killed in the process. She then went against all her (and presumably Shepard's) wishes and gave the corpse to Cerberus because the Illusive Man convinced her they might be able to restore Shepard back to life. Liara just couldn't handle Shepard being dead and so would agree to anything to bring them back. She's all cut up about it, and the death of her friend so she's just focussed on crucifiying the Shadow Broker no matter what.

In short, bitch is crazy.

As for those fellows lurking in the Perseus Veil...

Legion was So. Damn. Great I don't care if a potentially great badguy potential is wasted. Legion is awesome. The Geth are awesome. Second only to Mordin.