Mass Effect 2: More waxing goddamn nostalgic.

Vin

Yep,

I too felt Garrus' character development worked really well. It felt utterly believable. He became a much more interesting character as a result. I used him on missions a lot more in ME2 than I did in ME1. It was cool to have him around.

And Liara's was a bit odd. From a naive, soppy brained nerd to a hard bitten information broker in the space of two years? Seemed a bit daft. I could imagine her maybe working on the fringes of such a profession, having been changed by the death of her mother, and the things she's seen, but not someone who takes charge. By the way, what did the Shadow Broker do to her? Do we ever find out? I guess that could've been an influence on her current character.

You do find out, in game.

If you help her out on Ilium and then ask her about it afterwards, she says that the Shadow Broker tried to sell your body to the Collectors, but she intervened and gave it to Cerberus instead. There's some backstory about this in the promotional comics they made for the game, too, which apparently have something about how a friend of hers was killed by the Shadow Broker's agents too while she was mixed up in this.

It's a stretch but I guess it kind of works over two years.

edit: Ulala! :omg:

And Eighthours, I would recommend either Infiltrator or Soldier.

Aaaaaaand finished! Time: a measly 56 hours and 23 minutes :)

I've stopped reading this thread ages ago once people started posting about finishing the game merely two fucking days after it was released! Anyway, I'm too excited about it all to go into great detail but this was awesome amazing scenes from beginning till end and Mass Effect 3 is now my most anticipated game by far :omg:

Now off to finally read the rest of this thread!

Just finished this today and went back through some of the thread. Obviously, I loved the game and thought it was amazing and I'll definitely go through it at least one more time.

Ending:

Regarding the human reaper, I think I'm the only person that found its appearance really disconcerting, especially during the actual fight. Aside from that, the idea was interesting, though Mass Effect 1's reveal on Ilos had a much greater impact on me and the ending sequence in general felt a lot more epic. Still, I thought it was a good explanation for why the reapers had been taking humans (it makes sense that humans were the chosen species after the incident with Sovereign). Overall, there were some very interesting developments and I can't wait to see how they'll pan out in ME3.

Perhaps most interesting to me was the very understated meeting you have with a certain asari on Illium who is passing on a message on behalf of the Rachni.

Anyway. A quick question:

I want my first playthrough to be the one I continue with in Mass Effect 3. If I go and NG+ with that character and complete a second playthrough, will it overwrite the first playthrough in terms of importing the character?

Anyway. A quick question:

I want my first playthrough to be the one I continue with in Mass Effect 3. If I go and NG+ with that character and complete a second playthrough, will it overwrite the first playthrough in terms of importing the character?

If it's anything like how ME2 interacts with ME1, then each individual playthrough will create an end-save that you'll be able to choose from. The ME1 importer lists every completed save as well as time played and the date it was last played.

Not going to read any of those spoilers as I'm playing it at the moment but just wanted to mention that I'm really, really enjoying it.

Tbh, I think almost all 'action' games should have the a similar character development and conversation possibilities,most other things from now on may seem quite bland if it's just simply shooting.

That said, I still do like a more traditional RPG but if the action type RPG's behave a bit like this from now on then good stuff.... generally speaking.

ME2 is different, because you can keep playing after the end. It does make an end-game save, but every save you make after the end of the game can be imported into NG+ so I'd assume it could be imported into ME3 too. Especially because you can even do recruitment/loyalty missions after the end of the game.

I chose to carry on with my character, because I'm hoping for Bioware to finally live up to its DLC promises.

ME2 is different, because you can keep playing after the end. It does make an end-game save, but every save you make after the end of the game can be imported into NG+ so I'd assume it could be imported into ME3 too. Especially because you can even do recruitment/loyalty missions after the end of the game.

Ah right, didn't realise as i've yet to carry on a character after the ending. Is it worth bothering with if you've done all the anomaly and loyalty missions?

Restarted my Insanity run with a fresh ME1 import and yes, it's easier :omg: The music for the (post Freedom's Progress spoiler)

Normandy reveal

is still giving me goosebumps, such a lovely piece.

I've just played through Archangels recruitment mission with imported female shep. Holy shit, being a Vanguard is a LOT of fun. I'm playing on veteran or hardcore one of the two, and doing charge is risky ass move, get it wrong and you'll get shot to bits. Get it right, and you feel like such a fucking badass.

Also shockwave is lolz- the way it makes everyone fly about.

And Liara's was a bit odd. From a naive, soppy brained nerd to a hard bitten information broker in the space of two years? Seemed a bit daft. I could imagine her maybe working on the fringes of such a profession, having been changed by the death of her mother, and the things she's seen, but not someone who takes charge. By the way, what did the Shadow Broker do to her? Do we ever find out? I guess that could've been an influence on her current character.

On Liara's character, theres a reason why

she's after the Shadow Broker. She saves you from the Shadow Broker selling your dead body to the Collectors

.Thats why she's like she is mostly. Least she was for me as she was my romance in ME1, dunno if that changes anything.

Edit: bah didnt see the replies further up

Ah right, didn't realise as i've yet to carry on a character after the ending. Is it worth bothering with if you've done all the anomaly and loyalty missions?

It's worth at least doing a round of your ship to talk to the crew, because they've all got something to say about what has transpired. And it gives you a chance to do stuff like

bring Legion to the Citadel

I was reading a blog sort-of-review-thing on this, and it came up with a few points and flaws that I hadn't considered.

The whole Cerberus thing is really abrupt, they go from being a super-evil organisation in the first to a largely whitewashed group in the next and the ease with which people go to working for them is kind of silly. I mean, I give it a bit of a pass because the first game was so affected by its deadline that they couldn't really elaborate on Cerberus there, or make them look a bit better (In fact, I seem to remember rumours of Mass Effect "1.5" story DLC for the first that never came out that could have done just this), and that ultimately I can see it for the rather over-elaborate way of resetting your character that it is.

I agree that Cerberus' change in direction was abrupt but I found the pill pretty easy to swallow. I thought the

'rogue cells'

explanation was straightforward yet effective, and that idea was further reinforced by the circumstances surrounding

Jack's loyalty mission.

And the doctor joined up because she liked space travel! Isn't that like joining Al Qaeda because you got fired from being an air hostess and wanted to fly again?

She certainly has a taste for space travel and adventure. However, I'm sure she states that her main reason for joining was simply to follow Shepard, just like Joker and the Scottish engineer.

It's very successful with the small-scale, more personal stuff, but I've always thought the furthering of the main storyline's not its greatest achievement. There was a real dramatic arc and epic sweep to the first, and everything felt really weighty and consequential (sometimes surprisingly so, but never incongruously). ME2 seems to break off from that narratively as well as in tone.

Absolutely. As much as I loved recruiting all the squad members, it didn't do the pacing any favours. It rather felt like the overarching story was treading water until my squad had been assembled, then I was dropped right into the finale. I don't think there was enough substance within the 'main quest' to replicate the way in which Virmire, Ilos and the Citadel built up the tension so brilliantly at the end of the first game.

I'm torn when it comes to the ending itself.

On the one hand, I'm so relieved that I was able to bring everyone back home safely. It's also proof positive that I'm some kind of tactical genius.

:omg:

On the other hand, the supposed suicide mission was rather anti-climactic. I think enforcing a death or three would have lent the game a better sense of consequence and much more in the way of gravitas.

Wow,

I honestly missed that with Liara. Even though I helped her out. Not sure how I fucked that up. Maybe I didn't even ask her!

I think there was a small, seemingly innocent dialogue option that suddenly developed into a full-blown conversation in which she revealed all.

With regards to Archangel,

I do wish he'd clean himself up. Even after his loyalty mission, the fool still has blood all over his face and massive holes in his armour.

:) Like I said before, he tries way too hard.

The whole Cerberus thing is really abrupt, they go from being a super-evil organisation in the first to a largely whitewashed group in the next and the ease with which people go to working for them is kind of silly.

They're obviously not hard to find since they signpost all of there operations, vessels and bases with insignia. Even Jacob

'lies' to you in the opening section even though he's wearing a Cerberus badge

Shepard, open your eyes.

They put a distress beacon next to a Thresher Maw nest, marines come and investigate and...................chomp, Their story picks up form there then.

They play a large part in ME1 subplots and are in the game throughout, I was quite WTF about Cerberus, only thing in the entire game that bothered me but then I spent most the game telling them to get fucked.

With reguards to how the reapers are made, Sovereign says in the first game that the Reapers come back to harvest the organic life of the galaxy, so how they're shown to be made at the end makes perfect sense really.

Plus they murdered Admiral Kohaku and his marines.

I got a mail from Toombs telling me he'd kill me on sight cos I was working for Cerberus, even though I was like best pals with him cos he was in my squad back on Akuze. Not seen him at all though oddly.

Also still dont trust em as far as I could throw em.

Of course, the Akuze thing is only for Sole Survivors. Being a Spacer, I just have to worry about nagging emails from mom, which is quite sweet really. Of course, I fully expect the bastards to write up a horrendous Spacer only dilemma in the next game where you're tasked with either saving Captain Hannah's ship or a colony full of civvies. That would just be cruel, man.

I've just played through Archangels recruitment mission with imported female shep. Holy shit, being a Vanguard is a LOT of fun. I'm playing on veteran or hardcore one of the two, and doing charge is risky ass move, get it wrong and you'll get shot to bits. Get it right, and you feel like such a fucking badass.

Also shockwave is lolz- the way it makes everyone fly about.

It's even better once you level charge all the way up and then combine it with a maxed out Krogan Shotgun.

It's even better once you level charge all the way up and then combine it with a maxed out Krogan Shotgun.

Yes, make sure you spend the points on the heavy charge, Uzi. It's pretty awesome to dash into whatever is in your way and everything slows down on impact. Time to go to town with that shotgun.

The new DLC shotgun is great by the way. Stick some damaging ammo on it and you'll kill even the big opponents in mere seconds.

Yes, make sure you spend the points on the heavy charge, Uzi. It's pretty awesome to dash into whatever is in your way and everything slows down on impact. Time to go to town with that shotgun.

The new DLC shotgun is great by the way. Stick some damaging ammo on it and you'll kill even the big opponents in mere seconds.

Yep, am intending to max it out- not sure to go for area charge or heavy charge- the latter does some cool stuff like slow time down and recharges your shield super fast but the former sends everything flying.

The DLC shotgun is really good. I still think Bioware are massive dunces for not giving you the option of taking your helmet off outside of battle/hostile enviroments. I've got 5 great pieces of armour now and refuse to use any because it hides my shepards face :o

Not going to read any of those spoilers as I'm playing it at the moment but just wanted to mention that I'm really, really enjoying it.

Tbh, I think almost all 'action' games should have the a similar character development and conversation possibilities,most other things from now on may seem quite bland if it's just simply shooting.

That said, I still do like a more traditional RPG but if the action type RPG's behave a bit like this from now on then good stuff.... generally speaking.

I agree, but I thought this thing wot Shamus Young wrote was pretty good.

CYNIC is sitting on a worn sofa, chain-smoking and expressionless. OPTIMIST is sitting beside him, grinning. He’s holding a controller and playing a videogame. We hear various cheerful electronic BEEPS from the game.

OPTIMIST: Why, it will be awesome! Imagine if the shooter games did this! I could talk to Master Chief’s friends and learn all about the Halo technology, and the gamers who don’t like stories could just skip it.

(Pause.)

They say the books are really good!

CYNIC: That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard.

OPTIMIST: It would be beautiful! Everyone would get what they want. I would get rich details and characterization, and they would get to play without having all that stuff shoved down their throat.

CYNIC: They would never do that. Nobody gives a crap about you and your stories.

OPTIMIST: I would actually play Gears of War if they did that.

CYNIC: You sicken me with your self-delusion.

OPTIMIST: I wish you could see the future I see. It’s so perfect.

CYNIC: Ok genius, let's imagine someone at Epic actually wanted to change their incredibly successful and profitable formula to make it more to your liking.

OPTIMIST: Yes! I knew you'd come around.

CYNIC: Who would write it?

OPTIMIST: What?

CYNIC: Just because they're using BioWare-style dialog trees doesn't mean they'll have BioWare's writers.

OPTIMIST: Oh.

CYNIC: Yeah.

OPTIMIST: Shit.

CYNIC: Yeah.

OPTIMIST: I hate you.

CYNIC: Imagine a dialog tree filled out by the cement-head that penned Unreal Tournament 3. It'd be this looping, tangled mess of bravado and smacktalk.

OPTIMIST: Shut up! You always ruin everything!

CYNIC: You wouldn't be able to leave the coversation until you'd used up all the options, just like in Silent Hill Homecoming.

Optimist is looking increasingly upset and brittle.

CYNIC: It would be worse than a cutscene you couldn't skip. It would be a cutscene you couldn't ignore. You couldn't leave the room while it played. You'd have to just sit there and click, and click, and click while characters grunted out cliches and quotes from Michael Bay movies.

OPTIMIST: I’m going to kill myself. (Runs out of room crying.)

Yep, am intending to max it out- not sure to go for area charge or heavy charge- the latter does some cool stuff like slow time down and recharges your shield super fast but the former sends everything flying.

The DLC shotgun is really good. I still think Bioware are massive dunces for not giving you the option of taking your helmet off outside of battle/hostile enviroments. I've got 5 great pieces of armour now and refuse to use any because it hides my shepards face :o

I tend to use the headshotty one

Just finished. What an amazing game.

What I loved about it in point form

-The cover system actually worked. It's the first time since Rogue Trooper that I've gotton on with a cover style game.

-The inventory system was painless.

-The paragon/renegade quick time choices worked well. OK, the paragon ones were mainly hug or hug to stop someone from blowing someone's face off but with the renegade choices I loved how you could tell exactly what Shepard wanted to do every time.

-The voice acting and 'filming'/capture was fantastic.

What I missed.

-I missed the Mako a little. I suspect I'm the only one.

What I hated.

-Stupid power armour that would cover your face.

-Not being told pre landing if you would need a helmet which would have been my cue to change into power armour.

-Resource mining got old quick.

Should we start a thread for Mass Effect 2 veterans who don't mind spoiler talk?