Mass Effect 2: More waxing goddamn nostalgic.

Vin

I'm REALLY enjoying the vanguard combat on Veteran. Easy enough to be a bit bold and difficult enough to punish you if you're stupid and reckless. I just went through both the Omega recruitment bits and getting Jack (who is hilarious to have on your team because you can keep spamming shockwave which is brilliant) and I've been having as much fun, if not more due to the sheer awesomeness of charge and other powers, than most third person dedicated shooters.

The combat in this genuinely stands up as enjoyable and solid. I'd love some kind of rush/survivor mode as DLC where you play through combat only sections of the game. Even better- make it three players and let two human buddies control your allies- that would be amazing. Would probably never happen, but I genuinely enjoy the combat enough that I would be interested in playing them.

Am I the only one who feels sorry for Shiala? Probably, I expect most of you bastards just executed her in the first place. But anyway, she seems so devoted to the Feros colonists when none of it was really her fault. Girl should just move on with her life and go have a nice holiday somewhere. Say Blackpool, or Cleethorpes.

Nope, got her to help the colonists. Why would anyone execute her?!? :)

Nope, got her to help the colonists. Why would anyone execute her?!? :)

I just did that bit tonight on my evil playthrough. I shot her dead, amazing scenes and I refused to help the colonists and shot them all for experience points keeping the gas grenades for helping with the plant fight, happy times.

Here are some clips of the alternative romantic scenarios mentioned by RubberJohnny a few pages back:

The consequences in ME2:

It's odd that they were cut from the first game. It's even stranger that the sequel continues to support those different choices, although I have to give credit to Bioware for recording dialogue and scripting scenes that aren't even part of the game proper.

Ending spoilers:

You don't make it to the Collector's base in time to save your crew so they suffer the same fate as the colonists.

But I

fucked about my ship for ages before going through the relay, talking to everybody to see if they had anything left to say/if I could fuck any of them, and checking my upgrades and equipment etc. I take it that only doing an actual mission counts as a delay then? Because everybody was alive and well at the end

Ending spoilers:

You don't make it to the Collector's base in time to save your crew so they suffer the same fate as the colonists.

Ah right... that sort of happened to me anyway, but

only because I didn't send a team member back with them. "Sorry, the mission's too important. You're gonna have to find your way back on your own." Needless to say, I never saw them again :lol:

At least everyone that mattered lived.

My Insanity run is going a lot better than expected. I was trying to do the bare minimum just to get it out of the way but in doing so I've gone a bit backwards in that

on my first playthrough, I got the mission to the collector ship after picking up my 4th character and from there could finish the game. This time however I've picked up all but Legion (obv) without a hint of going to the Collector ship. This is probably because I've not done any loyalty missions.

It also means I've got a huge backlog of upgrades to research and no resources, so I'm gunna have to spend some considerable time mining as I've done none so far.

But I

fucked about my ship for ages before going through the relay, talking to everybody to see if they had anything left to say/if I could fuck any of them, and checking my upgrades and equipment etc. I take it that only doing an actual mission counts as a delay then? Because everybody was alive and well at the end

Sort of:

faffing about on your ship isn't an issue, but landing on planets, or even scanning them, counts as time lost. Possibly simply travelling to the wrong sector, though I've not checked.

LOL

Only do put the bit after 'v=' between the youtube tags, in this case 'sy-eRfupYbA'

Like so:

On a completely OT note, your change of avatar comes as quite a shock. You used to look so happy. :P

:lol:

That lovely happy pic of me dressed as mario will return! This one is just temporary because I'm all caught up in Aliens and Predator hype at the moment.

Near the end I tried to break the game.

I decided to take Legion with me on the Citidel. Surely that would warrent a military response. I mean fruit causes drama at customs. A Geth should cause major drama.

Especially since pretty much everyone blamed the Citidel being trashed on the Geth and the Reaper's weren't taken seriously even by the council.

Got through the checkpoints with Legion in toe. No-one even blinked.

So I decided to visit my old Commander and ask him specifically about the Geth.

On and on he rants about how the Geth aren't the big threat they used to be etc etc seemingly oblivious to one of them standing there.

"Got you." I thought.

Then he glances over his shoulder. "That's why your tame trophy bot over there isn't causing widespread panic."

Damn you Bioware! You think of everything!

Up to the end bit now having 100% every system last night for anomalies. This could have had ten hours of flab cut from it and have been an absolute humdinger. As it stands, for me at least, it's a very good game let down by a lack of variety. If your going to make something primarily a shooter - don't make it last around 30 hours. RE4 to my mind is the only action-based adventure to have warranted its 15 hour plus playtime by keeping the pace and changing things up.

This runs out of steam when you face your umpteenth cargo hold, warehouse, etc full of obvious cover.

The facial animation and performances are (mostly) superb and at times it's spellbinding watching a conversation (Mordin/ Pupil).

So, really good - but change it up a bit more next time, please.

Did anyone like the new take on navigating the galaxy map? I thought it did a reasonable job of conveying the idea that you were actually travelling physical distances. At the same time, it turned one of the most gorgeous user interfaces I've ever seen into something tacky and imprecise. I hated the way in which the Normandy would irregularly vibrate as it burned fuel between systems. It gave the impression of an aging freighter on its final voyage rather than the fastest stealth frigate ever constructed. The whole thing felt completely antithetical to the rest of Mass Effect's design aesthetic.

Did anyone like the new take on navigating the galaxy map? I thought it did a reasonable job of conveying the idea that you were actually travelling physical distances. At the same time, it turned one of the most gorgeous user interfaces I've ever seen into something tacky and imprecise. I hated the way in which the Normandy would irregularly vibrate as it burned fuel between systems. It gave the impression of an aging freighter on its final voyage rather than the fastest stealth frigate ever constructed. The whole thing felt completely antithetical to the rest of Mass Effect's design aesthetic.

I didn't think it added much, but it was a nice touch. I liked that you were increasing acceleration rather than speed, which was realistic, although the deceleration was still a bit too quick.

I also liked how travelling in a star system didn't drain fuel, just travelling between them. It was a good way of showing the order of magnitude difference in distance. You think Pluto is far away at 35 AU? Try reaching Tau Ceti at 750,000 AU.

I didn't like the way it could fly through stars with no adverse effects.

Well you weren't really. If planets and stars were to scale, they'd be invisible on the map. You were going through a blownup graphic for convenience but still could have been millions of kilometres off of those things.

I didn't like the way it could fly through stars with no adverse effects.

I don't think stars on a holographic map will do anything to your holographic ship :)

The map is just for plotting your course, EDI and ze pilot do all the actual moving around