Mass Effect 2: More waxing goddamn nostalgic.

Vin

Say you start the game, finish it, then import the final save for a NG+. You'll get the code showing on all the saves on that first game but it doesn't appear on the squad screen for your NG+ if you don't change it further.

I tested it out, loaded up a save from my first playthrough and sure enough, the code was there. None of the NG+s have it, though.

Edit - Hahahahahahahahahaha, Kaiden's wearing that crappy pink & white armour. I should have left his ass to die on Virmire after all.

FUCK INSANITY MODE!! They should rename it Soul Destroying mode! Is the PC version on insanity easier than the 360 version? Check out this vid and look how quick he manages to take the collectors down, and how his team stays alive throughout. :)

Only in the sense that there's more finesse possible with the controls. Unlike Dragon Age, difficulty across versions is constant.

I made a big mistake. :)

When I got to choose my special weapon on the Collector ship, I went for the sniper rifle, as I found it a a nice way to mix things up a bit on Normal.

But this means I have no access to the Claymore now, which my Vanguard kinda needs on Insanity.

Crap.

Guess I'll have to go for my back-up plan for tougher enemies now, which is Heavy Charge + Firestorm.

FUCK INSANITY MODE!! They should rename it Soul Destroying mode! Is the PC version on insanity easier than the 360 version? Check out this vid and look how quick he manages to take the collectors down, and how his team stays alive throughout. :)

Now, I'm also a sentinel, but by the time

Harbinger has turned up at least one of my team is dead, usually both.

At the end of the vid he shows where he's put his skill points and also proves it's on insanity, but he makes it look easy!! The advantage of mouse control maybe? I'm noticing controller lag during this fight, I'll press A to go behind cover, but she doesn't do it quick enough, I press it again and then she vaults over the cover! :D

Where he puts his squad in that video is exactly the same place I put mine to do it with my Vanguard, the key thing for me on my Vanguard on that part was as soon as I dropped a collectors barrier I'd put my squad mates on the next enemy and I'd pull, throw or charge the one whos barrier had just dropped and they'd be out of the fight then I'd start attacking the one my squad mate was on and rinse and repeat.

If I had 2 collectors close together I'd drop the barrier on one charge him so he flys off into the distance and put a claymore round into the other guys face which is 2 kills in less than a couple of seconds. Looking at that video the Sentinel seems like a more straight forward cover up and gun when you get the chance but the same thing should apply with dropping their barrier and using a biotic power to take them out of the fight instantly.

EDIT:His squad mates do die a couple of times in that video he just resses them instantly, you'll see them go grey when they die.

Now, I'm also a sentinel, but by the time

Harbinger has turned up at least one of my team is dead, usually both.

At the end of the vid he shows where he's put his skill points and also proves it's on insanity, but he makes it look easy!! The advantage of mouse control maybe? I'm noticing controller lag during this fight, I'll press A to go behind cover, but she doesn't do it quick enough, I press it again and then she vaults over the cover! :D

He was lucky his team stayed alive so long - it really makes all the difference. Bit surprised he didn't take both scions down to negligble health together to make the mopping up at the ned a bit easier.

Cheer up, Cap'n! You're almost home and dry, that's as bad as things ever get on the harder settings.

On the basis of the first few missions, I'd say the main problem with Insanity is there's no leeway with bringing different characters. You need Miranda and you need an Incinerate from somewhere as others already pointed out and that rules out the main advantage of being an Infiltrator so either you give up your cloak or bring Mordin along.

Even so, it's not *that* bad though. I needed one reload on the warehouse shutter as a Varren and Krogan ripped me apart, another when Garm showed up to attack Archangel and we got bogged down with his buddies downstairs and the final assault from a squad entering downstairs while the gunship appeared, the one and only time Archangel died on me. Still, that was just 3 reloads on a mission I was absolutely dreading beforehand.

The best part was the YMIR with its IFF fucked up. About half a dozen Eclipse mercs surrounded it trying to bring it down, at which point I zoomed in, put a finishing shot through its head and...

..well, you know what happens next.

Nuke%20Test.jpeg

Suckers.

I miss the hell out of my Widow though. Damn pesky fresh game.

:)

I started a fresh Soldier last night and it's proving nowhere near as challenging as Insanity with my NG+ Infiltrator. Clearly the level scaling does evil, evil things.

Whilst I died several times on Horizon, it was mainly against the Praetorian at the end, cheap bastard that it is. I can take out a Collector with roughly 4 bursts of Vindicator fire, and Husks aren't much of an issue as a shotgun aimed at the crotch — seriously, don't aim for the head — takes them down in one. All in all things are challenging but not frustrating, the moral of the story being that you shouldn't attempt the hardest difficulty with a New Game+ character unless you've more than a passing interest in masochism.

The Witcher is one of those games I've tried to get through about 4 times now and keep giving up from sheer boredom once I hit the Vizima/sewers/swamp parts of Act 2. A pity, as I'd like to at least see Shiani's party or meet that scary beast princess thing from the CGI intro but all the running around in swamps and the dark bored me senseless.

The Witcher is one of those games I've tried to get through about 4 times now and keep giving up from sheer boredom once I hit the Vizima/sewers/swamp parts of Act 2. A pity, as I'd like to at least see Shiani's party or meet that scary beast princess thing from the CGI intro but all the running around in swamps and the dark bored me senseless.

I'm the same. I quite enjoyed Vizima itself but the swamp bored me.

I think I met a gratuitously naked swamph nymph before getting utterly frustrated by nigh-unkillable plants.

the moral of the story being that you shouldn't attempt the hardest difficulty with a New Game+ character unless you've more than a passing interest in masochism.

I figure that if I survive the Collector ship, I'll survive it all. So that will be the point that either makes or breaks my Insanity run.

If it proves too tough, I'll import my ME1 save and start a new Vanguard Insanity run.

Just finished off my first femshep playthrough after putting Insanity on hold for a bit, kept a few extra people from the first alive in this one (I normally take Wrex with me to Chora's den, so Fist is usually dead for example) and it was rather amusing to see them. I really really do love her smirk right at the end of the game though, you called that right Ulala :)

Fist is the boss of Chora's Den, the sleazy club on one of the Citadel Wards. Tali gets in touch with him thinking he's an agent of the Shadow Broker but he's actually working for Saren and tries to have her killed because she has 'data' (a fucking mp3 file, more like, definitely my idea of CONCLUSIVE PROOF) revealing Saren's part in the attack on Eden Prime. Wrex is hired by the Shadow Broker to kill Fist, Garrus' investigation leads to Fist...basically, all roads lead to Fist. If you take Wrex, he'll shoot him at the end of the meeting. Alternatively, Shepard can choose to kill him herself (and it's worth it for the look on Garrus and Kaiden's face alone).

Basically, the dude almost never survives but if you decide to spare him for some reason, he apparently shows up on Omega bitching and stuff. Given it's so much fun to bring Wrex/kill him yourself, I've never done it.

"We have an eye witness!"

"Pfft, he's just a dockworker, he knows nothing!"

"He hates humans!"

"That's because you get on our nerves, I know how he feels."

*goes away - sulks - finds some shifty looking ninja chick with an iPod*

"Yo, check this shit out! 'Eden Prime was a major victory.'"

"Holy shit, that sounds like Saren, it must be him, it's CONCLUSIVE PROOF of his involvement! You were right all along, sorry we ever doubted you"

*comes back two years later*

"Ah yes, 'Reapers'. Fuck off, crazy person."

I swear that motherfucker is just trolling us.

Fist is the boss of Chora's Den, the sleazy club on one of the Citadel Wards. Tali gets in touch with him thinking he's an agent of the Shadow Broker but he's actually working for Saren and tries to have her killed because she has 'data' (a fucking mp3 file, more like, definitely my idea of CONCLUSIVE PROOF) revealing Saren's part in the attack on Eden Prime. Wrex is hired by the Shadow Broker to kill Fist, Garrus' investigation leads to Fist...basically, all roads lead to Fist. If you take Wrex, he'll shoot him at the end of the meeting. Alternatively, Shepard can choose to kill him herself (and it's worth it for the look on Garrus and Kaiden's face alone).

Basically, the dude almost never survives but if you decide to spare him for some reason, he apparently shows up on Omega bitching and stuff. Given it's so much fun to bring Wrex/kill him yourself, I've never done it.

Ahhh yeah that rings a few bells. Cheers Ulala!

I almost definitely had Wrex in my party, so Fist is most definitely dead.

"We have an eye witness!"

"Pfft, he's just a dockworker, he knows nothing!"

"He hates humans!"

"That's because you get on our nerves, I know how he feels."

*goes away - sulks - finds some shifty looking ninja chick with an iPod*

"Yo, check this shit out! 'Eden Prime was a major victory.'"

"Holy shit, that sounds like Saren, it must be him, it's CONCLUSIVE PROOF of his involvement! You were right all along, sorry we ever doubted you"

*comes back two years later*

"Ah yes, 'Reapers'. Fuck off, crazy person."

I swear that motherfucker is just trolling us.

:)

To be fair to the game logic, you do wander in on the proceedings at the end of Tali's presentation - it's entirely possible that beforehand the evidence was checked over by C-Sec (or similar) to make sure it wasn't fabricated, before being presented to the council.

I figure that if I survive the Collector ship, I'll survive it all. So that will be the point that either makes or breaks my Insanity run.

If it proves too tough, I'll import my ME1 save and start a new Vanguard Insanity run.

Nooooo! Keep going, Vems. As someone else commented earlier, Insanity with NG+ is (for the first half of the game, at least) another level of difficulty altogether over straight Insanity. They should have a special achievement for it, really; Masochist Dickwad, or something. But the ship bit's not that bad*: you just need a little bit of perseverance and perhaps a little bit of luck, and not be too put off by having to have a few cracks at it in quick succession.

After that, though, everything just seems like easy street. Relatively speaking. It's funny how that part of the game almost mirrors that equivalent storyline bit in Halo CE on Legendary, both in terms of ascending into the bowels of the enemy craft, and also in terms of it being the middle-of-game difficulty spike that sorts out the saviours of humanity from the kids playing with toy laser pistols. Like that part of Halo on Legendary, though, once you've got past it in a NG+ Insanity run, the elation and relief are a real buzz. If there were an online component of this you'd be a terror to all humanity/non-humanity at this point, honed to hard-assed perfection by the cleansing fire of the Collector Ship.

You can do it, Vemsie. I'll knock us up a couple of Masochistic Dickwad badges for when you're done.

* It is that bad.

big rllmuk hug - reading through the last 45 pages today as I completed it today, it's nice to see the hive mind on here in agreement generally.

Great game, great characters and the I love people sharing their own version of events and how they did things.

For the record;

at the end, I deliberately put Jacob through the ventilation shaft, hoping he'd die. When he got shot in the face, I almost imagined that Enzo Shephard's reaction was one of 'feigned sorrow' rather than crap animation.

Legion bought it on the Normandy and Jack didn't make it at the end.

Also the crew snuffed it when I made them chance it back to the shop on their own. This leads me to the most important question of all for Mass Effect 3 - who's gonna cook my fucking dinner now!? Miranda?

I DID IT!! Fuck knows how I'm gonna manage later levels with loads of husks, but YES! I've done it! I've passed it. This game is gonna be the death of me! :omg:

Well done. I reckon it'll be relatively plain sailing for you from now on.

Gorf, did you do insanity as your first run?

No, my first was an ME1 import on Veteran. With hindsight, most parts were perhaps a bit too easy, but the compulsion of the storyline and character stuff was well served by that and the new combat system, powers and so on took a while to sink in anyway. So not a bad introduction. Second and current playthrough was with the same character in a lvl 30 NG+ on Insanity*. Obviously, the difficulty hike right from the start was huge, and a far bigger leap than the equivalent in the first game. I read somewhere that on Insanity NG+ against a fully levelled character, the enemies start off at something like lvl 35 vs your 30 with no upgrades at all, and basically that they stay at lvl 35. No idea if that's true, but it feels that way and, because of the way some intrinsically more difficult enemies/situations occur throughout the first half of the game up to the dread bit you've just completed, after half way the game gets progressively easier, more or less, as you get stronger. Or at least, it has so far.

I don't think they've got the difficulty curve right there really (if you can call it a 'curve' at all), and the spike at the Ship 'O' Shit is just a tad harsh imo. Like Hitler was probably a tad harsh on the Jews.

* I briefly fired up a new char for a virgin Insanity run to see what the opening was like for the sake of comparison. It seemed very much easier, naturally.

I read somewhere that on Insanity NG+ against a fully levelled character, the enemies start off at something like lvl 35 vs your 30 with no upgrades at all, and basically that they stay at lvl 35. No idea if that's true, but it feels that way and, because of the way some intrinsically more difficult enemies/situations occur throughout the first half of the game up to the dread bit you've just completed, after half way the game gets progressively easier, more or less, as you get stronger. Or at least, it has so far.

Is this true does anyone know? Going to start an Insanity playthrough meself soon and was considering importing an ME1 character (just because I don't want that sod Udina thinking I picked him, the twat).