Mass Effect 2: More waxing goddamn nostalgic.

Vin

It has 5 missions (I think), so probably longer than Kasumi but shorter than Shadow Broker. Maybe similar in length to just the missions in Overlord (not all the hovering around the small area looking for packages)

:)

Cheers Sarge. That's tomorrow night sorted then.

How long is 'The Arrival'? Are we talking 'Shadow Broker' length or 'Kasumi' length?

Reading reports that it's about an hour long. Disappointing if that's true. I'll hang on and buy it when I have finished my insanity run. Thought I'd be all over it tomorrow, but I can wait after hearing that.

Downloading The Arrival. I've also never seen Overlord, so i bagged that too. And with my spare 160 points i bought the Firepower Pack for the sake of it.

Any recommendations on class for an Insanity run? I've never used a Soldier or Engineer, so they're my options. I'm not sure whether straight gunning appeals to me in this sorta game. What special abilites do they both have?

And done. Not as long as I hoped it would be...

And the story was pretty much throwaway with it only really setting up a trip to Earth in the third game, something I think we all knew would happen anyway. Very disappointed that no Reapers came through the relay before it was destroyed, but the touch with Harbinger at the end was nice. And how cheap are BW not to bring back Seth Green to record a few lines?

And timeline wise, it appears to be set just after the Horizon mission with Shep telling Hackett he'll return to after his mission (I assume he means the mission to shutdown the Collector's) is complete...

Overall, I'd rate it 6 out of 10. It's decent but it's not essential or must play DLC. I expected a lot more from the last, bridging DLC to be honest.

Would like to echo sarge's opinion it's good but story wise it's nothing major apart from the final scene which sets the beginning of ME3 it's good but expect more overlord than shadow broker took me about 90 minutes total for those that care. I would recommend doing it after you have finished the game it works better that way personally.

Agreed with Prof. It's best played post end game, even though it seems to be set earlier in the time line.

Anyway,

Possible ME3 Teaser (and I really do mean teaser, it's from the PC version)

Is that Illium or possibly Earth? And it looks like everyone from ME2 is back as well with Ashley gate crashing. And I could have sworn I saw a glimpse of the Illusive Man.

:omg::D

Is that Illium or possibly Earth? And it looks like everyone from ME2 is back as well with Ashley gate crashing. And I could have sworn I saw a glimpse of the Illusive Man.

:omg::D

Yeah he's there at about 7 seconds - standing in between what looks like Ash and Miranda in the group line up - which, just given what it is, I expect is promo work and not from ingame. Why would they all be lined up like that?

Yeah he's there at about 7 seconds - standing in between what looks like Ash and Miranda in the group line up - which, just given what it is, I expect is promo work and not from ingame. Why would they all be lined up like that?

Mass Effect 3 Teaser Spoilers

That was my first thought, but look again...

Unless I'm imagining it, there appears to be a Reaper descending. You can see it's tentacles (or whatever they are) in the shot.

:omg: I had a feeling he'd return, but not actually alongside Shep and co.

:D

The DLC is ok, but it's only even ok if you really like ME2's combat and want more of the same. Well, less of the same I should say, because

of course you go in solo, and so the combat is for the most part pretty one-note. It may be because of this lack of squad power/tactical variety that I found it a little less than engaging, and I reckon this DLC shows the form of the current gameplay system reaching the end of its useful life: there's only so much you can do with the mechanic, especially when you're missing your squad, and yet another corridor with a couple of goons at the end, followed by another room full of crates, repeat, occasionally punctuated by throwing a switch and watching a cutscene, was getting a bit dull here for me. Especially when the plot, too, is a bit recycled.

I think the occasional reaper shakes fist at that meddling Shep, man you are becoming a pain to interstellar overlords the universe over scene is getting a bit played out by this point. There are just too many foiled, oh-so-close attempts in these episodic pieces, and you can't just keep ratcheting to a climax over and over again. This one was one too many I think, and the storyline seemed contrived and out of place - in fact, I don't really think it made any sense in the context of what we've seen already in the game (why most of what happened happened at all doesn't really make any sense to me - if she was indoctrinated, why did she even ... oh, never mind). As has already been mentioned, the content fits uncomfortably within ME2's plot whether you complete it during a playthrough or at the end (although it does sit better at the end, even then, after the final mission of the main game, it doesn't really seem to make sense).

So I'm a bit meh on this DLC - it's definitely the worst pay-DLC for ME2 - and I'm looking forward to Bioware shaking things up a bit both with the combat/squad mechanics in ME3, as well as giving them a chance to break with the episodic nature of ME2 and make the rhythms of the game fit a bit more naturally with a long, mainly single-thread plot that has time to slowly develop over the course of 40 hours or so. I'm thinking they should do something radical to break things up between ME2 and 3, as a result of which ME3 can start on a relatively low key, and gradually build up a head of steam. Sure, there could be a big opener, perhaps an elliptical one, but then it needs to be calmed down quickly and brutally, and gradually and consistently built up to one proper climax. Maybe Shep can be disgraced or exiled, or something, and end up in some backwater somewhere. Maybe the reapers could end up making good on their threats for once and actually succeed in their enslavement of most sentient life, and maybe the majority of ME3 will become a bitter old man's desire for revenge, hiding out in the arsehole of the universe, nursing grudges and searching for a way to make the bastards pay. And hooking up with some large, equally grudge-bearing, space arachnids along the way. (Or not, if you're a damn fool genocidal maniac.)

I dunno, but any more

thwarted plans involving mass relays

would definitely be at least one thwarted plan too many. To be honest, I think this one was.

Excellent post, Gorf King. +1.

I was actually expecting something along those lines at the end...

With Hackett coming abroad to tell you to run as you're being hunted by the Alliance, Batarians, Council, etc. Or maybe end it with the Council or Alliance fleet surrounding the Normandy and storming the ship to capture Shep. A prison break by orchestrated by Hackett, Liara and/or IM would have been the perfect way to begin ME3.

Well, I'm sure I'll be downloading soon, but I'm not entirely certain why they decided to release this at all really. No, that's wrong - I understand a desire to have a 'bridge' between ME2 and 3, but surely they could have spend a bit longer doing it - I mean, after Shadow Broker set the bar so incredibly high for DLC, it seems slightly odd to do something like this really. Should have left it a few more months and then get it real good?

Oh well, I guess it will be enjoyable enough though.

It was short but that would have been fine if it developed the experience of ME2 somewhat, like the new situations Lair of The Shadow Broker put Shepard in, like crime investigation, fancy party, urban car chase (man that was good). But really there's nothing that puts a new spin on things. It's good because Mass Effect is good, but this is not a very engaging version of it.

I thought setting up the next game would involve outlining the reaper threat more, but it didn't set that up better than the end of Mass Effect two when it zoomed out to show the Reaper army. Zero character development really. You've got Hackett, who we've only seen from afar before, and Shepard being alone (though you can tell it's just because they don't want to bring the whole cast back), and I don't think they did much with that.

And with the scientist, I feel they've written the mind-controlled character better before, like with Saren.

Oh and there was a crane before you got to the scientist. Did anybody do anything with that? I messed about with it for a bit but moved on because I figured space marines on rescue missions don't fiddle about with light machinery.

Oh FFS. I purchased the DLC while I was on my laptop downstairs, and after a while I went to turn on my 360 to download it, salivating at the thought of more ME2. I bought a 360S last month when Amazon were selling them for £159, and it seems Microsoft didn't transfer my content licenses, as they said they did. My download queue now has the message "assigned to another console" next to the listing for Arrival, and selecting "download again" in the Marketplace on the 360 doesn't help. On hold with MS support now. :facepalm:

EDIT: OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE! Have to wait a few days for MS to transfer my licenses, as the DRM tool on their site is down (and has been for a month or more). God damn it, I spent the whole day looking forward to this, and now I have to wait even longer! All because (a) I was too fecking lazy to go and turn on my 360 to buy it and (b) Microsoft cocked up my DRM transfer when I got my new 360.

:(

EDIT 2: Now it's downloading, for some reason! Stay tuned for more exciting updates! I might buy a domain name and liveblog the download process.