Mass Effect 2: More waxing goddamn nostalgic.

Vin

Mass Effect 3 Teaser Spoilers

That was my first thought, but look again...

Unless I'm imagining it, there appears to be a Reaper descending. You can see it's tentacles (or whatever they are) in the shot.

:omg: I had a feeling he'd return, but not actually alongside Shep and co.

:D

That's your new squad member :)

(New DLC spoiler)

Oh and there was a crane before you got to the scientist. Did anybody do anything with that? I messed about with it for a bit but moved on because I figured space marines on rescue missions don't fiddle about with light machinery.

Yeah, I

moved one of the crates at the back. There are a couple of things to collect there - some minerals and either a bit of cash or another upgrade: can't remember quite what now, but it was nothing unique or particularly valuable.

I agree that the mind control thing has been done before, and better (several times). Same with the duplicate invasion method, the rescue-a-captive mission, and the solo combat scenario. Even the reaper's voice has been done before better. The more I think about it, the more this DLC seems unnecessary. Of course, businesses are in business to make money, but this isn't one of Bioware's better products, and seems to have had minimal effort or imagination expended upon it. Definitely a case of using up some of those goodwill credits the developers have got from us for making a generally great range of content (as well as more Moon Points, of course).

That's your new squad member :)

I sincerely hope that no-one at Bioware has, even for a second, considered this possibility seriously. But you never know.

Strangely enough it doesn't. Weird, as I did download the thing.

That happened to me as well. I had to quit the game and reload it, then a message appears on the terminal.

I for one, loved the The Arrival. A great end to one of the best games of all time. I especially liked the

ending where Hackett tells you you'll need to eventually go to Earth and answer for what you've done, hopefully that's how ME3 starts. And also, those Batarians are gonna be PIIISSSSSEEED.

And done.

It's a shame - it's not a patch on LoTSB. Prob on a par with Overlord. The overall plot wasn't epic enough (despite the stakes) and the environments really weren't impressive after the Shadow Broker's ship. It was basically a step back to corridor/room cover shooter of most of ME2 - but combat with only Shep got dull very quickly.

As someone above said - LoTSB took ME2 to new and exciting places - this just (largely) retread the existing ME2 mold - and not the best bits!

It was also rather obvious they couldn't afford/want the rest of the voice cast.

Kenson wasn't developed long enough for her betrayal to matter.

I didn't have a problem with the "Alpha Relay". The Reapers have travelled for what 3-4 years from Dark Space at the point to get to this relay - which the outermost one?

Admittidly it does seem odd that a race that's waited 50,000 years would be so upset by the Protheans sabotage of the citadel when it would just take a couple of years to fly back - but it wasn't completely game breaking.

So it seems Shep will be on Earth for a trial? I can't imagine the Batarian situation won't inform ME3 quite a bit - how will people who didn't DLC do?

6/10

The DLC is ok, but it's only even ok if you really like ME2's combat and want more of the same. Well, less of the same I should say, because

of course you go in solo, and so the combat is for the most part pretty one-note. It may be because of this lack of squad power/tactical variety that I found it a little less than engaging, and I reckon this DLC shows the form of the current gameplay system reaching the end of its useful life: there's only so much you can do with the mechanic, especially when you're missing your squad, and yet another corridor with a couple of goons at the end, followed by another room full of crates, repeat, occasionally punctuated by throwing a switch and watching a cutscene, was getting a bit dull here for me. Especially when the plot, too, is a bit recycled.

I think the occasional reaper shakes fist at that meddling Shep, man you are becoming a pain to interstellar overlords the universe over scene is getting a bit played out by this point. There are just too many foiled, oh-so-close attempts in these episodic pieces, and you can't just keep ratcheting to a climax over and over again. This one was one too many I think, and the storyline seemed contrived and out of place - in fact, I don't really think it made any sense in the context of what we've seen already in the game (why most of what happened happened at all doesn't really make any sense to me - if she was indoctrinated, why did she even ... oh, never mind). As has already been mentioned, the content fits uncomfortably within ME2's plot whether you complete it during a playthrough or at the end (although it does sit better at the end, even then, after the final mission of the main game, it doesn't really seem to make sense).

So I'm a bit meh on this DLC - it's definitely the worst pay-DLC for ME2 - and I'm looking forward to Bioware shaking things up a bit both with the combat/squad mechanics in ME3, as well as giving them a chance to break with the episodic nature of ME2 and make the rhythms of the game fit a bit more naturally with a long, mainly single-thread plot that has time to slowly develop over the course of 40 hours or so. I'm thinking they should do something radical to break things up between ME2 and 3, as a result of which ME3 can start on a relatively low key, and gradually build up a head of steam. Sure, there could be a big opener, perhaps an elliptical one, but then it needs to be calmed down quickly and brutally, and gradually and consistently built up to one proper climax. Maybe Shep can be disgraced or exiled, or something, and end up in some backwater somewhere. Maybe the reapers could end up making good on their threats for once and actually succeed in their enslavement of most sentient life, and maybe the majority of ME3 will become a bitter old man's desire for revenge, hiding out in the arsehole of the universe, nursing grudges and searching for a way to make the bastards pay. And hooking up with some large, equally grudge-bearing, space arachnids along the way. (Or not, if you're a damn fool genocidal maniac.)

I dunno, but any more

thwarted plans involving mass relays

would definitely be at least one thwarted plan too many. To be honest, I think this one was.

This is pretty spot on.

I enjoyed several of the combat setpieces, even though they were quite familiar - defending Kenson at the security console was a highlight for me, I think - and I did actually like the Project base environment, which had some lovely sci-fi corridors and tubes and views out onto the asteroid. The main problem with it for me was that everything was rather disjointed. There seemed to be several really weird loading points which broke the flow, like the return to the upper level of the project base and then walking through it for about a minute before getting another load for the tiny outdoor platform bit. Should really have combined those.

The non-choice of sacrificing the Batarian colony had very little weight, about as much as that N7 mission where you choose whether to save a commercial or residential district from missile strike, since you never have any contact with the colony or even see them at all. Kenson was rather undeveloped, but I guess was satisfactory for the purposes of the plot. I couldn't help but think during the reactor-saving bit that Half-Life 2: Episode 1 had done that particular sequence with more panache.

All that said, I enjoyed it overall. The promise of Shepard being on trial for his actions in ME3 is a good one.

Worth the purchase, but not quite what I was hoping for.

Joker being the most obvious one. Just sitting there and nodding. :(

Actually I thought the most jarring was

When the Normandy comes to pick you up and some guy you've never heard off, who I'm going to call Bert, radios that the Normandy's incoming to save you.

Me and Bert are gonna save the galaxy in ME3 I bet :hug:

Also - can this be played before the end of ME2?

How the hell does that work - The Reapers aren't here yet! ME2 ending shows them a fair way away flying towards the galaxy! Not just inside the rim going "I'm sure there used to be a Relay here! Bloody Google GalaxyMap!

Well, that was...short and disappointing. I'd actually class it as the poorest DLC. It was ok, just a bit throwaway. 6/10 sounds about right.

And what was up with Kensons face? It annoyed me all the way through.

I thought it was okay. Like everyone else has said, it isn't a patch on LotSB. Single person combat also gets dull quickly. On the other hand it lets my hyperactive mind go wild with speculation.

I don't think they've gone down that route, but wouldn't it be glorious if all this was a setup to cause Shep to murder some filthy Batarians. The evidence that the reapers are coming right now seemed a bit flimsy at best (crazy woman who wants to blow up a relay and we'll just take her word for it it? Sure, why not). Yes the device indoctrinated everyone else, but I would love for it to be all lies just to get the explosion to go off.

I wouldn't mind a Batarian/Human war to spice up fighting off the reapers. Having to defuse that situation whilst finding off impending tentacle death would be a glorious way to end things. Shame all I can see happening is everyone disowning Shepard and him trying to unite everyone using the twin powers of large guns and a giant Rachni death squad. Well I can dream, can't I? DLC does look completely disposable so I'd like to see exactly how they fit this into ME3.

Here's a fun, but scary twist:

Perhaps Shep really is losing the plot after all. Too much time spent around Reaper tech, the poor girl's starting to get obsessed to the point where she's willing to wipe out hundreds of thousands of people to get the job done. Is Shep starting to be indoctrinated now? There's something to drive some serious final-chapter drama in ME3.

Perhaps Shep really is losing the plot after all. Too much time spent around Reaper tech, the poor girl's starting to get obsessed to the point where she's willing to wipe out hundreds of thousands of people to get the job done. Is Shep starting to be indoctrinated now? There's something to drive some serious final-chapter drama in ME3.

Could be - the idea that there really was no Reaper arrival, just Shep killing 300,000 people is interesting.

Why did Kenson want/need to Keep Shep alive/sedated anyway?

That'd be a pretty amazing twist. :D

One thing...

When you assume control of the mech, was that through the control panel or did you actually 'assume control' Harby style?

And what about when Shep partially wakes up? Glowing eyes and what not? Maybe he got a dose of Reaper from the artifact, similar to the dose of Prothy he got from the artifact in the first game?

One more thing...

Anyone else think the artifact in Shep's room is going to play a role in ME3.

Sorry, Cthulhu. I loaded up an older save to make sure that didn't happen in my game. :wub:

Agreed on all above.

Must say though, I think it was that much worse in my case for having to tank my infiltrator through it. Hard work when solo.

For some reason when trying to load up other classes, the game aborted with an error message saying I didn't have the shadow broker dlc, which I do.

Anyone else get this?

I'll be well annoyed if my canon completist shep ends up out of date for importing to me3.

Also, anyone manage to get the last stand cheev? Needless to say, I got minced.

What happens?

Agreed on all above.

Must say though, I think it was that much worse in my case for having to tank my infiltrator through it. Hard work when solo.

For some reason when trying to load up other classes, the game aborted with an error message saying I didn't have the shadow broker dlc, which I do.

Anyone else get this?

I'll be well annoyed if my canon completist shep ends up out of date for importing to me3.

There's some chatter on the Bioware forums - it seems Arrival ends up having trouble recognising other DLC, and says you don't have Zaeed/Kasumi/LoTSB/etc and can't proceed.

No offical word yet though

I for one, loved the The Arrival. A great end to one of the best games of all time. I especially liked the

ending where Hackett tells you you'll need to eventually go to Earth and answer for what you've done, hopefully that's how ME3 starts. And also, those Batarians are gonna be PIIISSSSSEEED.

Sucks for the batarians - their so-called terrorist actually turned out to have no intention of wiping them out, but capturing her earned them a visit from Shepard who was more than happy to oblige. I did make the choice to try warning them I was launching it, but I think Dr Indoctrination interrupted the call. Ah well, batarians are no great loss really (please remind me not to say that in court).

I do wonder what the Reapers would've done with that system if they'd found it populated. Could be Shep saved them from something a lot worse.

A plethora of spoiler tags follow.

Could be - the idea that there really was no Reaper arrival, just Shep killing 300,000 people is interesting.

Why did Kenson want/need to Keep Shep alive/sedated anyway?

I think the Reapers wanted him/her to contribute to the human reaper

moved one of the crates at the back. There are a couple of things to collect there - some minerals and either a bit of cash or another upgrade: can't remember quite what now, but it was nothing unique or particularly valuable.

I agree that the mind control thing has been done before, and better (several times). Same with the duplicate invasion method, the rescue-a-captive mission, and the solo combat scenario. Even the reaper's voice has been done before better. The more I think about it, the more this DLC seems unnecessary. Of course, business are in business to make money, but this isn't one of Bioware's better products, and seems to have had minimal effort or imagination expended upon it. Definitely a case of using up some of those goodwill credits the developers have got from us for making a generally great range of content (as well as more Moon Points, of course).

Glad I didn't miss much.

My brother's playing it and I think the highlight was the bit where you control the droid, that was interesting/amusing. And I don't really see how this will carry down the line... all possible evidence of what Shepard did was surely destroyed, except perhaps a log of you calling your ship or calling the colonies.