IGNORED

Mass Effect 2: More waxing goddamn nostalgic.

Vin

It was ok - I'm not gonna be humming any of it or downloading any of it (Like the main game or LoTSB) - but it was good.

The bit where

The Normandy arrives and the Asteroid hits the relay

was the only bit that had any impact though.

IM NOT READING ANYTHING.

I'm updating my progress. I downloaded the current lot of DLC before this arrival thing (I've got no idea what it is!!).

So far I've got all but 1 of the squad members and was just told I could get the IFF thing if I wanted; but I'm gonna Hoover up the last chap and then do the loyalty missions.

I want to take Thane and Garrus, my latest two chaps, out on missions; but it's always the women! One of my favourite outings saw Kasmi, Jack, and myself out - at one point I levitated an enemy only or jack to shotgun the bastard from close range at the same time...he flew through the air like he's been hit by a train!

At another time I levitated an enemy, closed in, and as he floated down punched him in the head! Proper lols.

I'm about 20 hours in at the moment, I'm concerned things are coming to a conclusion...yet with plenty of missions to go theres no chance of that!

Amazing game, can't wait to play again - just busy :(

Well, after all the negativity, I really rather enjoyed it. :coffee:

Me too, it's certainly no shadow broker but I still enjoyed it. I was, up until a few days ago, expecting this to lead right into the beginning of ME3.

Time for some ME3 news now Bioware oh and that Dragon Age 2 patch while you're at it.

The name of an achievement could be considered a spoiler.

Anyway, Arrival is pretty short but quite fun. Obviously it is a mission pack in the main, its addition to the storyline of ME felt minimal. As others have said, these themes have been explored before, and in more compelling ways. It was not as if there was any grand choice, which would've been impossible with the way they set the story up but still, this is ME and there should be choices with consequences. LotSB stood on its own brilliantly, offering a distinct experience that felt like it had a large impact on the ME universe.

Saying 'the reapers are going to be here any minute' and then only showing one of them, by hologram no less, was a let down. I don't see why the threat had to be so imminent. It seemed contrived, and if the threat was further off, at least the player might've been offered some choice. Would've still been a no-brainer, but the only choice we get is shooting or not shooting scientist lady. Which doesn't really affect anything. Who we called before setting us up the bomb might have an impact on that trial thing though, but it'll probably be minor.

I echo most of the sentiments. It's too combat heavy. Now I don't mind combat, but I do feel it really needs a shake-up in Mass Effect 3. It's all way too samey, with almost every combat area being the same. They really need to open it up a bit and allow for more creative gameplay. I liked the first part of Arrival though, being able to sneak my way around enemies is something I want more of. Give me missions where I have multiple options and missions in which I never need to pull a trigger if I don't want to.

It's decent for what it is, but nowhere near as good as the last two.

Finished.

Who needs the "Reapers"? Just make some shit up about every single relay being the kind of magic relay the "Reapers" need, and Shep'll obliterate all organic life for you.

Or, if you're an immortal god-machine wanting to destroy all life in the galaxy, with the patience to spend aeons drifting through the intergalactic void, why not just make some planet-sized bombs and snipe all the relays from dark space?

I don't think BioWare have thought very hard about this.

Finished.

Who needs the "Reapers"? Just make some shit up about every single relay being the kind of magic relay the "Reapers" need, and Shep'll obliterate all organic life for you.

Or, if you're an immortal god-machine wanting to destroy all life in the galaxy, with the patience to spend aeons drifting through the intergalactic void, why not just make some planet-sized bombs and snipe all the relays from dark space?

The Reapers don't want to obliterate life though, the want to 'harvest' it.

Finished.

Why not just put a bullet through Shep's brain first chance you get? Why not destroy the asteroid as soon as you get back, just to be safe? Why, if you're an incalculably ancient AI construct of incredible power, show up via hologram just to say "HMPH. I'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME, GADGET SHEPARD." Yup, it's disappointing alright, and the finalé's gonna need more than just Batarians, husks and indoctrinated humans to be the suitably epic final fight we're all expecting.

But hey, I got to kill 300,000 Batarians and meet the man, the myth, the bucket of aceness that is Admiral Hackett so I don't hate it too much (it'd be hilarious if taking the Paragon option means you definitely have to stand trial for their deaths whereas no one knows what the fuck if you're Renegade and just keep schtum).

Oh yeah, while it's easy for the covert achievement, it mainly blows for Infiltrators, mind. Or maybe I'm just rusty.

Finished.

y''know they don't want to just nuke all life in the galaxy, right?

Your pathetic organic brain can't possibly comprehend what they really want!!!

If you want a future, forget your past

If you wanna get with me, better make it fast

Now don't go wasting my precious time

Get your act together, we could be just fine for a biomechanical construct that spends eternity sitting on its arse in deep space, mind you the TV is shite

Say you'll be there

I'm giving you everything

All that joy can bring this I swear

Last time that we had this conversation

I decided we should be friends

Hey

But now we're going round in circles

Tell me will this deja vu never end, Oh

Now you tell me that you've fallen in love

Well I never ever thought that would be

This time you gotta take it easy

Throwing far too much biotics at me

But any fool can see they're falling

I gotta make you understand

I wanna really really really wanna zigazig ahh the twat's blown up another fucking relay

I always knew there was something dodgy about those birds.

I echo most of the sentiments. It's too combat heavy. Now I don't mind combat, but I do feel it really needs a shake-up in Mass Effect 3. It's all way too samey, with almost every combat area being the same. They really need to open it up a bit and allow for more creative gameplay.

Yeah I've been having similar thoughts. Playing as different classes mixes things up a bit, but you still spend the majority of the time crouched behind cover picking off enemies.

Maybe it's as simple as just improving the enemy AI a bit, à la Halo - enemies flank and throw grenades to flush you out of cover, killing their leader causes them to become scared and disorganised etc etc.

I also think the whole shields / barrier / armour thing could do with improving / scrapping. I find it makes it very stop/starty, esp. in high difficulty modes, as you end up having to invoke the central wheel thing a lot as you keep switching between overload / warp etc.

They also need to "fix" biotics, it's annoying if you are meant to be some sort of all-powerful biotic god, but have to spend ages whittling away someone's shield / barrier before you can unleash hell on them. Not sure what a better solution looks like though without making them ridiculously over-powered though

Here's one to ponder as far as The Arrival goes.

In two days 15 minutes, the entire Reaper fleet will arrive at this Alpha relay doodah...so, instead of smashing the asteroid into the relay before that happens, why not time it for 10 seconds after it happens?

"WE HAVE ARRI-"

"Sup, Harby. Thought I'd make sure you guys get a nice warm welcome."

"OH BOBBINS."

Big. Badda. Boom.

But nooooooooooooooooo. Pah.

I guess it's the same reason

Shep wasn't just shot in the back right at the beginning of the DLC, or the asteroid wasn't simply destroyed at the outset, or why in any case he wasn't simply not led all the way to the one place he could make trouble after everything he needed to know to foil the plan had been explained to him just before he was miraculously awoken by sheer hard-assedness out of a chemically-induced coma.

The usual writers were on holiday with the voice actors.

Arrival is full of signs that the budgeted funds and/or time for this piece of DLC just weren't enough.

How easy would it have been to give Joker just one line, recycled from all the assets they have? Surely there's a "yes commander" in there somewhere. I bet licensing issues made it prohibitively expensive to do even that though.

Actually showing the Reapers would have meant creating expensive assets that weren't going to do much to extend the gameplay, so we have to put up with the hologram we saw at the end of ME2.

A: "Oh shit, we blew the budget on a giant reaper flower, what are we going to build the level with?"

B: "We've got, err, corridors and tubes?"

A: "Brilliant!"

Why do Batarian helmets only have two eye holes?!?!

I think the point is harvesting rather than destroying.

Anyway, I was surprised at quite how awful ME2 is without your squad. I think I missed the bickering as much as the tactical complexity.

Why do Batarian helmets only have two eye holes?!?!

This bugged me possibly even more than anything else,

did anyone else's Shep quip 'right in the eyes!' upon killing a Batarian? It seemed ridiculous that they had thought to include that quip, but to put helmets on the Batarians that restricted most of their vision. Is there some fluff in the codex about the rest of their eyes being redundant or was this just ill-thought armour design?

Otherwise, agreeing with most of what's said. Going solo takes away the tactical team-based gameplay that makes ME2's combat interesting and fun, this was frustrating and boring. There are no interesting or long-reaching decisions to be made, and nothing is added to the story except a few plot-holes and another unnecessary climax.

I think it would have been impossible to just re-use actors' lines from previous episodes without paying them more, which seems fair - it only seems fair to pay someone if you use their work to create new content that you're selling.

As for the actual episode, it was OK. The plot issues weren't all so bad -

Kenson didn't kill Shepherd because, as that old cliche dictates, "we need him alive!". What they need him alive for wasn't specified, but its not unreasonable to assume that the Reapers would want him for their own disgusting purposes.

I think the larger problem was that there were loads of these little plot niggles all the way through, like Shepherd miraculously overcoming the induced coma, or the Project staff keeping him in the most ludicrously insecure cell ever, complete with army of remote controlled robots and a handy locker containing all his weapons and armour located just outside. Or Shepherd being happy to do an Adrian Veidt and end 300,000 lives at the touch of a button, but strangely reluctant to shoot one woman and save everyone in the galaxy (although maybe that's just down to him being a Cerberus agent, and a massive human supremacist).

None of these points are episode-wrecking in themselves, but in aggregate, they do make The Arrival feel a bit wonky and rough. In fact, the whole thing felt a bit Pound Shop - the actor who played Kenson was truly shit, the dialogue was comical in places (like Shep thinking aloud to himself, in the style of Adam West), and the combat was repetitive and a little dull.

All of the issues could have been resolved with a bit more time and money (i.e., the scene of Shep magically waking up at the right time would have been better executed if Shep had come round to gunshots, bodies hitting the floor, and a blurry face saying "Cerebus picked up the tab first time Shepherd, and this one's on me, but three deaths and you're on your own" which clears to reveal SPACE BATMAN smoking a fucking cigar. "Garrus! You son of a bitch," shouts Shepherd as they grapple rowdily, "What's the matter? Cerberus got you doing too many calibrations? Huh? Had enough?" and then takes his pants off sorry got carried away there) but given that they clearly didn't expend much cash this time, they had to make some shoddy compromises.

It's still not bad - the central idea is cool, even if it is a bit of a ripoff of 'Bring Down The Sky' - but it's a large-scale idea that for some reason lacks much of a sense of the epic.

Agreed on the other stuff, but I immediately attributed sheps miraculous awakening to the fact that he is now half machine. Something I expect to see more on in ME3.

Afterall, it never was made totally clear what they did to bring him back....

:o

The Illusive Man stuck Reaper tech in you to bring you back, maybe?

Just finished it. Quite enjoyed it even if it wasn't quite the epic finale I was hoping for. Plot impressions below..

Most of the plot holes didn't really bother me, the Alpha Relay was pretty much just named as such as it's the first one the Reapers are going to get to, it's not the same thing as the Citadel which actually lets them in from Dark Space. Likewise, it's pretty clear that the Reapers are interested in Shepard for one reason or another, the Collectors went to great lengths to get hold of her ( :P ) and so it makes sense that the Doctor and her associates would just want to keep Shepard out of it until the Reapers actually turned up, i'm sure their reasons will be explained in the sequel. I do agree about the jailbreak though, that really didn't make a lot of sense.

In terms of gameplay I thought it was good fun though I did miss my squad members, mute would've been better than absent in my opinion (did anyone else think it's odd that the base is littered with Medigel machines when there's no-one for you to heal? :P). The set pieces were interesting even if the combat was less so as it was just me as a soldier. Overall, not a patch on Shadow Broker (it's pretty obvious that they're done by different teams) and we probably think worse of it because it followed that, but not a bad piece of DLC really and the ending does leave a nice thread to be picked up in ME3.

(did anyone else think it's odd that the base is littered with Medigel machines when there's no-one for you to heal? :P).

You can use them on yourself, you know. I certainly went through a few during a certain section

that leads to an achievement if you survive all the waves of attackers,

so I was glad of them (I didn't start out with many). But maybe I'm rusty.