Mass Effect 2: More waxing goddamn nostalgic.

Vin

Wait. What? I thought Medigel just fueled Unity and Unity was just a revive ability? Is this the point where I look very stupid for having missed an extremely useful mechanic? :huh:

There are a bunch of research upgrades which boost the Unity ability - first of all making it recharge you (and squadmates) to full health, then full shields.

There are a bunch of research upgrades which boost the Unity ability - first of all making it recharge you (and squadmates) to full health, then full shields.

Hmmm.

I got the upgrades, but assumed that they only worked when Unity was applied to someone who'd carked it. Because every time I popped the biotic/tech menu, the icon would be red - I assumed this was because no-one was dead, because this is the behaviour you see at the beginning, but are you saying it's because everyone had full shields and health?

Given that you'd only need this in a firefight, I guess I may have missed the fact that I could use it before someone died; it would be pretty hectic at that point.

I'll remember that for my next run-through.

Anyway, for ME3, I hope they spend some time improving Shep's smile; every time he chatted someone up, it was like he was channeling Gordon Brown. They got *that* smirk right in ME1, so fingers crossed...

Just started my second playthrough on insanity, after finishing the first game (and loving it). Wondering if the other DLC is worth getting for ME2? Will get arrival even though reactions have been mixed.

Thanks

I think the slightly negative impressions of this actually say more about the quality of the previous DLC to be honest. It wasn't as good as Lair of the Shadow Broker but then what is? Don't forget, a few years ago we were getting shit like Oblivion's Horse Armour. Anyway, I was more than happy to have another hour or so in ME2's universe - I liked that there seemed to be fewer Bypass/Hacking games and more stuff like blowing up a canister to make a new route through the map - hopefully something we will see more of in ME3.

Played this last night, finished it in a bloody hour using an Infiltrator on normal mode. Bit disappointed really, it wasn't the DLC I'd hoped for (but then I'd read the reviews that it was a bit poo.)

Still enjoyed firing up Me2 again though. My thoughts below:

I think it was a bit naff they didn't reuse any voice, the doctor's voice was shit and the batarian helmets really annoyed me - THEY HAVE MORE THAN 2 EYES YOU BW GOONS!

The thing about the Alpha Relay makes perfect sense though. I assume that (I haven't played ME1, PS3 user) the original plan was for the Reapers to get to the Citadel via the relay there which was meant to have been opened by the Vanguard/Sovereign. Obviously this never happened because of the events of ME1. So, the bit of Dark Space they're sitting in must be nearby to the Mass Relay which was designated Alpha - literally just as the Normandy went through it, then, and it was destroyed, the Reapers arrived and were like "lolz, where is everything?!" So the reapers are now sitting where Alpha Relay used to be and are probably heading towards the Citadel. Or you know, the Earth, because that's the next nearest place. Or maybe ME3 will open with Tuchanka being destroyed and the reapers then heading to the next closest system, the Solar System! How exciting!

On that basis, killing the 300,000 people on that planet doesn't really matter - they were either gonna die then along with the rest of the galaxy when the Reapers arrived, or 10 mins earlier when Shep exploded the Relay.

I wonder though, how long would it take for the reapers to reach the next system using their FTL drives? Now the relay is gone and they're sitting in the middle of nowhere, could take a long time?

Or maybe that's why the Earth gets hit next - because the local cluster is the nearest one to their location (well, apart from maybe Tuchanka?)

I just don't know.

Ramble over.

In ME1 the Reapers were meant to control the Citadel via the Keepers, a race of servant aliens on board it. The Citadel is a mass relay hub that can connect out into dark space and on to any other relay you like, and the Keepers are meant to activate it in order to allow the Reaper fleet to invade through there. Unfortunately for the Reapers, the Protheans managed to build a prototype mass relay of their own that dropped the last survivors of their race into the Citadel, where they reprogrammed the Keepers to stop them activating the relay again. So Sovereign spends several centuries, including the events of ME1, setting up an attack on the Citadel to let them assume control.

The whole "alpha relay" thing annoyed a few people because relays are only meant to point one way, and aren't meant to be close enough for the Reapers to visit one and attack the Citadel and the rest of the universe through there; one does not just walk into Mordor, so to speak.

I think they just worded it badly.

I imagine that when they say the Reapers can get anywhere in the galaxy from the Alpha Relay they just mean it's their entry point into the Relay network itself, not that they can just warp to any relay they so wish.

Some rumoured story info about the movie that's currently in the works...(guy claims it's not an April Fools)

Mass Effect the movie will, in fact, NOT follow the game's story about Saren and the Reapers. Here's the official summary as written by the film's producers:

"Mankind discovers ancient alien technology that enables faster than light travel. Using stored coordinates, mankind stumbles on a hostile alien race know as the Turians."

For those who may be unaware, this is the back-story to Mass Effect (the game) also known as the 'First Contact Wars'. It goes over the discovery of Prothean ruins on Mars, which jumps humanity's technology forward 200 years and allows FTL travel. The first race they come across is the Turians, which sparks a massive war. This happens roughly 50 years before the events with Commander Shepard. Whether or not he/she is even part of the story is up for speculation. By all accounts, he/she wouldn't even be born.

Mark Protosevich is writing the screenplay. He wrote I Am Legend, and worked on Thor, among other films. I am not certain he is the best choice. Avi Arad is a credited producer, who worked on Iron Man, Spider Man 1 & 2, Ghost Rider, and other generic films. Take that as you will.

It should be known that Ray Muzkya is not credited as a producer, and thus there is no oversight by Bioware indicated in this film. EA has taken a producer role, seeing as they hold the rights to the Mass Effect brand, and it's likely that a great deal of source material will be warped to appeal to a wide audience. This includes, but is not limited to, a likely PG-13 rating. Currently the film is still being scripted, so casting and a choice for director is still unknown.

Needless to say I am disappointed. This is nothing more then a weak move to cash in on the title without having to commit to a trilogy of films. Low budget, cheesy actors, cheesy writing and an A-typical Hollywood mentality is exactly what I expect out of this. If they fail to deliver, don't expect any others.

Source: IMDBPro

http://social.bioware.com/%25253Cbr%25253E%25253C/a%25253Ehttp:/social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/103/index/6874786/1

If true, fantastic news. I've always wanted them cover the First Contact Wars. I would have preferred it if it had been done via a prequel, but this will do...as long as they get it right and it's true.

:D

Some rumoured story info about the movie that's currently in the works...(guy claims it's not an April Fools)

http://social.bioware.com/%25253Cbr%25253E%25253C/a%25253Ehttp:/social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/103/index/6874786/1

If true, fantastic news. I've always wanted them cover the First Contact Wars. I would have preferred it if it had been done via a prequel, but this will do...as long as they get it right and it's true.

:D

If they do a whole series of Mass Effect movies Shepherd better be female!!!!

So, Insanity is a bit insane isn't it!

I'm playing an Adept and have just recruited Grunt, which was a pain. Especially fighting Jedore at the end with Krogan and a big Mech!

I'm hoping my Adept becomes stronger as I upgrade my abilities because if not I'm dreading Horizon!

Well I went to Horizon last night and my god that was bloody frustrating and difficult! The final part,

the Praetorian

was more than problematic to say the least but I finally managed to get it done after much effing and jeffing and some whining.

I've totally picked the wrong shotty, and the cryo rounds do NOTHING!

Go for the Eviscerator, level cryo up to 4 and go for team cryo, unless you're trying to take down something big with armour (basically Abominations or Scions), in which case go incendiary rounds.

When you get the choice of krogan shotgun / assault rifle / sniper then go for the sniper rifle. The Krogan shotty is not that big a step up from the Eviscerator, the Locust SMG is a good proxy for an assault rifle, so sniper is the way to go, gives you a good balance of short range (shotty), medium range (locust) and long range (mantis)