Mass Effect 2: More waxing goddamn nostalgic.

Vin

God i hope, you can change how he looks at the start of Mass Effect 3.

I was almost tempted to go back and start again but i'm 8 hours in now.

I was thinking about this the other day - they put that facial reconstruction thing into ME2, but it only lets you remove the scars. Given the other crazy sci-fi medical stuff going on, I don't thing having something to let you rebuild your face completely is far fetched at all. Fingers crossed for ME3.

That's the point though. The grind just seemed too steep. I tried to get through it, i really did. But it just got so frustrating that i started to question why the hell i was playing it in the first place.

You don't need to grind at all. In my case, I had real trouble getting past one side mission I attempted early on, and I didn't have a save before it that I could escape to. I just kept plugging away at it until I beat it though, and after that I was never held up for long. If you're finding it a chore though then you might want to turn it down to easy, at least to get you over the hump. It really is worth playing for the story, and it makes the second game all the better as a result.

I'm with Elmo on the first game, I gave up on it back in 97' and have pretty much given up on it again in 2011. There is just something that isn't right about the game, the characters for the most part are awful, the side missions an absolute bore, if it wasn't for the story I wouldn't even be tempted to force myself to complete it.

I cannot get over how much I loved Mass Effect 2 after how much I did't like Mass Effect 1

The first game wasn't hard for me really; the item problem was awful mind and it did get grindy - but only grindy and not difficult.

Elmo is just rubbish ;)

I think asking people to play through Mass Effect 1 in 2011 is a bit much, I mean look how much of a bad reception Dragon Age 2 got for repeated environments that weren't nearly as bad as ME1's sidequests, and that's ignoring the other gameplay elements that are frustrating or just not up to scruff nowadays. Plus it's all connected, tell someone to play the straight plot missions and it's much harder to save Wrex, which kind of eradicates the main reason for completing an ME1 save for import -_-

I'm sure people (me included) have some nice memories, but you should like - make a Youtube playlist or something. Stick the Virmire cutscenes and the two exposition dumps together and then the ending space fight and just tell people to watch a hour of video, than play through a rather uneven game.

Mass Effect 1 gets a lot of shit but it's still for me, in many ways, better than Mass Effect 2. I never found the combat that bad in ME either. ME2 improves it but it's hardly a standout amongst third person shooters. I just really hope for ME3 they don't go for another bullshit, build your team up core gameplay experience. I didn't like it much in ME2 but came around to it eventually. From a main mission/story point of view ME1 kicks its ass. If they do it for ME3 it's just a fucking copout. I don't want to do the same fucking thing yet again. It should be more about fighting the reapers and the missions involved with that. I probably sound a bit more negative than I mean to be as ME2 was a great game but I've had enough of the 'do missions to recruit someone' in one game thanks.

Yea, ME2 was quite formulaic in that most of the main missions were either recruitment or loyalty ones, I hope Bioware now feel comfortable enough to break away from that tried and tested system (which was perfectly fitting for a middle of trilogy game imo) to bring more meaningful objectives / choices back - not just WHO WOULD U FUCK? MIRANDA OR JACK? / Care to do some soppy errand to gain loyalty?

:lol:

I'm not saying ME1 is all bad, it had better exploration, more interesting loot, the driving missions were far superior but at the end of the day if it was for Sauren I wouldn't give ME1 a second look. When you couldn't give a damn if your teammates died or not (Kaiden & Miranda) something isn't quite right. For me Mass Effect is all about story and characters and ME1 only fulfilled half of that

ME3 could be gaming nirvana if Bioware combine right the assets of what the fans love about the series

You can literally play all of the core ME1 content in only a handful of hours.

I reckon 6-8 is how long it will take, even less if the difficulty is stuck on easy. It really is a rather vital precursor to Mass Effect 2.

But if you're not doing the sidequests you probably won't save Wrex and then PLAYTHROUGH WASTED.

But if you're not doing the sidequests you probably won't save Wrex and then PLAYTHROUGH WASTED.

But Wrex doesn't show on the default Mass Effect 2 playthrough anyway, so it's still worth playing a quick run of the first game for everything else.

ME1's main missions are better than ME2's main missions. Noveria is better than any ME2 mission except maybe LOTSB. Fact.

ME1's story is better than ME2's story. Fact.

ME1's Citadel is better than ME2's Citadel. Fact.

ME1's outdoor locations have a much better sense of scale than ME2's. Fact.

ME1's final battle and ending are much better than ME2's. Fact.

Elevators>loading screens

ME1's music is far more evocative and memorable than ME2's orchestral bombast.

Deal with it.gif

Currently playing through ME1 I can't help but disagree with most of those. You're right about the Citadel, but all the Mako use in Noveria and other places makes ME1 quite tedious. And then it's just shooting with a sub par cover system. And the elevators, my God those elevators, a thousand times slower than loading screens. I'm leaving all my crew in the lower deck to die a lonely death, never to be spoken to, because the journey is just too long.

I thought you could save Wrex by completing the Wrex's family armour mission, thus saving you the hassle of building up a high paragon/renegade score?

Currently playing through ME1 I can't help but disagree with most of those. You're right about the Citadel, but all the Mako use in Noveria and other places makes ME1 quite tedious. And then it's just shooting with a sub par cover system. And the elevators, my God those elevators, a thousand times slower than loading screens. I'm leaving all my crew in the lower deck to die a lonely death, never to be spoken to, because the journey is just too long.

Yeah, but the ENDING.

I think Mass Effect is more than the sum of its parts. I found the elevators better than a loading screen because loading screens pull me out of the story. The Mako made it feel like you were actually exploring worlds. I can understand why people found it dull, but it's about a million times more fun than the scanning in the second game. The inventory system is appalling and it runs like a dog, but it drew me into its universe far more than the sequel did.

What it boils down to, for me: Mass Effect 2 is a better game, Mass Effect is a better story. So Mass Effect wins every time.

I didn't especially like the ending of ME1 that much. While it was all good very Saren to blow his own face off...then he came back to life OMG! And that last battle I found pretty annoying.

I think, for me, I was so desperate to finish the bloody thing to get it done the ending lost impact for me. Also I was very much "fuck the council the citadel is more important", so yeah...just a bit bored at the end.

I think Mass Effect is more than the sum of its parts. I found the elevators better than a loading screen because loading screens pull me out of the story. The Mako made it feel like you were actually exploring worlds.

I though creating a seamless world not separated by loading screens was a commendable goal, but also fucking stupid in a galaxy-spanning scifi game that features you travelling between multiple locations separated by thousands of light years.

I can understand why people found it dull, but it's about a million times more fun than the scanning in the second game.

God I hate this strawman. Mako was replaced by the N7 missions, which were more varied and less dull. The planet scanning was just an elaboration on planet scanning in the first game.

God I hate this strawman. Mako was replaced by the N7 missions, which were more varied and less dull. The planet scanning was just an elaboration on planet scanning in the first game.

I know that. I was saying the scanning was by far more boring than anything in the first game.

• 3 weeks later...

On the one hand, I guess the price is comparable to a physical comic book, plus it's got the narration as an added bonus. On the other hand, the comic isn't at all in keeping with tone of the games and the narration is laughable. It really should be free.

The only advantage it would offer me would be to allow me to have a new renegade character set up before play ME2, having played through as a Paragon peviously. But the idea of playing ME1 for a third time hardly fills me with disgust. It is just an enjoyable chore before getting to the meat of ME2. I would use it if it were under 100 points. But a 320 points, it is a bit cheeky.