Mass Effect 2: More waxing goddamn nostalgic.

Vin

Finally finished this on PS3 the other day, really fantastic stuff. I played it for a couple of hours when it came out, but it seemed a bit rough around the edges and my hideous create-a-freak and unimaginative name I christened him with ('Shit Shepard' :facepalm:) did little to change that. Then I was a bit bored a couple of weeks ago and I've hardly stopped playing it. It reminds me a bit of Phantasy Star Online, all very familiar environments and healing squadmates etc. Roll on number 3!

Pretty disappointed Thane didn't die in my game though, he's such a cunt. Him and his stupid RDJ Sherlock Holmes impression. Although to be honest they could have all died apart from Kasumi and Garrus really and I wouldn't have cared..!

• 1 month later...

40 hours into my PS3 Insanity run through with all the downloads. Amazing stuff! I'll try to squeeze in a second run-through to mop up trophies after this before ME3.

Anyone know if there'll be a chance to change your appearance again in ME3 if you import your game? Liked the way they handled it last time, also my female Shepherd looks a bit like a giraffe that's had too much plastic surgery.

Started my last playthrough of this before the third one comes out. I'm an adept this time. I'm having a blast. It seems a little weird to say that as I've enjoyed it every other time I've played it but I kinda thought I'd just be going through the motions to get the last two achievements but I'm having the most fun I've had since I first played it.

Had my first negative Mass Effect 2 experience yesterday courtesy of Firewalker. Playing through on Insanity improves the rpg elements of the combat no end imo, with you really having to plan out how to deal with the hordes. Except on Firewalker that is, where instead of any strategy you just bounce up and down from a distance, spamming a Geth Trooper and Collossus until dead, with the Hammerhead seemingly having a weaker shield than your space-suit.

Got stuck for quite a while. Finished now and back to the greatness, thank goodness.

Finally got around to giving ME1 a serious go. I think I'm around half way, just been in this big skyscraper and found out about the Thorian and reunited Lizbeth with her mother.

Question though, is there anything I should be doing with this character to properly prepare for ME2 in terms of finding items/getting paragon/renegade/upgrading abilities or am I OK just ploughing through for the story?

Mostly story, but the sidequests/random planet missions can pop up in ME2.

I think your level in ME1 could give you a level boost at the start of ME2- up to level 5, which makes life easier on insanity initially- but thats about it.

Actually, having a higher level makes life harder on insanity, as the enemies level up with you, ignoring the fact you're stuck with basic equipment.

You do get benefits in the forms of more credits and resources, however.

Mass Effect 2, great game but not as goddamn good as The Witcher 1 :D

I've got the Director's Cut Not Shit Honest To God This Version Works Stop Running Away Buy My Game version of The Witcher on my Steam queue of shame, so I'll get back to you on that.

So erm... still no news of the GOTY edition (all the expansions + game) yet?

If it never does come out, can the ME2 veterans tell me a list of all the DLC worth playing? e.g. in Dragon Age there were clearly fillers - Golems of Algamarak, Witch Hunt - but Soldiers Peak, Shale and obviously Awakening were great.

On the preceding page:

Overlord and Lair of the Shadow Broker are worth it (particularly Shadow Broker, which is better than anything in the main game). The third piece of DLC, Arrival, is not so good. It's okay. Just... not so good.

On top of that, Kasumi is also good, and the firepower pack is worth it for a few extra weapons which are pretty nice. The rest? Eh.

Obviously remember to download the free DLC activated with a new copy, Zaeed (who is excellent and available from the start of the game) and Firewalker. Firewalker isn't much fun but it isn't too long and you'll need to understand how to use its vehicle for Overlord.

Speaking of which, here's a spare Cerberus Network code for the 360 version: 83PD-QLMM-4GTT-MA84

Used, thanks so much!

Just bought Shadow Broker, which other DLC/packs are worth a look?

I'm only up to Omega so far though, so no major spoilers!

Side note: Are people pre-ordering ME3 already?