Disgaea 3 : Absence of Justice

ravnaz

I'm really enjoying it. The PS2 sprites do look bloody shocking at 1080p. I can understand that a niche game like this probably has a very limited budget but it looks pretty bad.

The story is awful (well too silly and convoluted for me) and the US voices are grating. You can switch to Japanese which is a bit more bareable.

The gameplay is ace though. Thoroughly addictive and pretty daunting in scope. You can create new character and set up your party however you like. It's really enjoyable doing stuff like trying to involve weaker characters indirectly in each attack so they can partake of the experience points. Every map you beat remains available as a training (grinding?) ground for your characters.

Yeah the story in Disgaea 2 is pretty awful as well, it's all about the fractal gameplay.

Japanese VO is a must.

I want a PS3 for this.

What's "fractal gameplay"? I'm quite interested in Disgae as I'm hungry for PS3 RPG-type stuff, but I don't get quite how it works.

What's "fractal gameplay"? I'm quite interested in Disgae as I'm hungry for PS3 RPG-type stuff, but I don't get quite how it works.

I think he means the feature where you can go 'inside' any item and play multiple (generated) levels. Doing this actually improves the item. So you can play inside your axe and make it a better axe whilst also levelling your characters etc. Pretty much endless (if samey) gameplay.

I know that I will end up buying this game - even though I'm currently playing Valkyria, MGS4, fallout 3 with Killzone 2 and RE5 on preorder and not forgetting playing chronotrigger on my DS ;). I'll also get eternal sonata for sure as well!

I'm definitely going to finish Valkyria Chronicles first though.............

I know that I will end up buying this game - even though I'm currently playing Valkyria, MGS4, fallout 3 with Killzone 2 and RE5 on preorder and not forgetting playing chronotrigger on my DS ;). I'll also get eternal sonata for sure as well!

I'm definitely going to finish Valkyria Chronicles first though.............

Feel I should big up Eternal Sonata, as it's fantastic :D

How repetitive is the core gameplay of Disgaea? I'm more of a straight RPG than tactical RPG fan, but this just sounds pretty appealing and I'm dying for any sort of RPG on the PS3, really.

Well, if you can happily slug through Eternal Sonata then enquire about the repetition of ANY game, I'm pretty sure Disgaea will have you happier than a pig in shit.

I heard Eternal Sonata was awful. Is there a demo somewhere I can check it out (I recall seeing a Japanese one on PSN, dunno if there's one on the US PSN)? I must say, I'm not interested by the idea of a game about a Polish music composer, even if it is culturally relevant to me.

Questions to JP:

The PS2 sprites do look bloody shocking at 1080p.

Is that because they're blurred? The sprites look blurred in a video, which put me off buying this, but someone said you can change that in the options menu so they end up looking just like normal pixelated sprites. Then he said something about the rescaling being done either via Lanczos or Nearest Neighbor, which affects how the sprites look.

As a developer you might be able to answer this: why is it in a lot of games, upscaled 2D pixel sprites look blurred as hell (old sprites in SSFII HD Remix, Disgaea 3, Megadrive Collection etc, etc, etc etc,), when really, there isn't any need for this. Surely it should be as simple as double/tripling their size but keeping the aspect ratio and not anti-aliasing them? I upscale images in various art packages, and it's easy as hell to do so without blurring them.

Do developers blur sprites on purpose when upscaling (or because they don't care), or is there something inherent in the hardware that forces this to happen? Because blurred sprites is enough to put me off a game.

Take Megaman 9. Blurred as hell on a PS3, whether on HD or SD TV. Yet I hear the Wii version has crystal clear pixels as if you were playing an older system through RGB SCART. I miss the days of razer sharp pixel edges. ;)

Questions to JP:

Is that because they're blurred? The sprites look blurred in a video, which put me off buying this, but someone said you can change that in the options menu so they end up looking just like normal pixelated sprites. Then he said something about the rescaling being done either via Lanczos or Nearest Neighbor, which affects how the sprites look.

As a developer you might be able to answer this: why is it in a lot of games, upscaled 2D pixel sprites look blurred as hell (old sprites in SSFII HD Remix, Disgaea 3, Megadrive Collection etc, etc, etc etc,), when really, there isn't any need for this. Surely it should be as simple as double/tripling their size but keeping the aspect ratio and not anti-aliasing them? I upscale images in various art packages, and it's easy as hell to do so without blurring them.

Do developers blur sprites on purpose when upscaling (or because they don't care), or is there something inherent in the hardware that forces this to happen? Because blurred sprites is enough to put me off a game.

In Disgea 3 they aren't blurred, they are just really blocky. Some developers apply filters to low-res bitmaps to hide the blockyness - you see this mainly on XBLA ports.

I don't think there's any way to upscale low-res sprites without some sort of blurring. You can't pull detail out of nowhere so you either accept the blockyness or end up with a blurry image.

Take Megaman 9. Blurred as hell on a PS3, whether on HD or SD TV. Yet I hear the Wii version has crystal clear pixels as if you were playing an older system through RGB SCART. I miss the days of razer sharp pixel edges. ;)

Well the wii version is just showing the sprites at their original size. CRT's generally have a natural softness which prevents low res graphics looking really blocky. On a HDTV scaled up graphics (without blurring) will show each original pixel as a very sharp square which was not the original intention - hence the application of various blurry filters to hide this.

In Disgea 3 they aren't blurred, they are just really blocky. Some developers apply filters to low-res bitmaps to hide the blockyness - you see this mainly on XBLA ports.

Ahh, but the thing is, I really, really, really like the blockiness. And I have a great dislike of filters. Since very few games offer the option to turn the blurring off, I just assumed it was unavoidable except via some complex programming workaround.

If it's there by choice of the developers, I'd like the choice to see the blockiness. I know this wasn't how the game was meant to be seen (the original NES had a wavy affect on vertical lines on CRT TVs), but I prefer blockiness to filters.

Each to their own I guess.

I heard Eternal Sonata was awful. Is there a demo somewhere I can check it out (I recall seeing a Japanese one on PSN, dunno if there's one on the US PSN)? I must say, I'm not interested by the idea of a game about a Polish music composer, even if it is culturally relevant to me.

I really like Eternal Sontata. It's better than, say, Tales of Phantasia. It's better than FFVIII.

Makes an nice change from other RPGs, especially the musical intersections (you learn about Chopan whilst hearing a piece of music).

The chopin stuff was the best bit of Eternal Sonata, by a long way. That side of the game was the only aspect of it that seemed even slightly fresh or different or interesting. I really liked the little switches back to photographs and documentary stuff between chapters. It made some kind of sense to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found out there are no Trophies for this game (and a few more games still).

Sony need to get their shit together and enforce same kind of standards that Microsoft have been doing this entire generation. I love using the PS3 at home, lots of nice games available at the moment but LIVE is just so much better than PSN. The Achievement system is arguably the most important addition to the world of videogames since Mario made 3D a standard.

Disgaea 3 however is fantastic :lol:

Oh man, who gives a shit about trophies when you're given digital crack in the form of Disgaea 3? o_O

On saying that, I can't wait for the inevitable PSP version. I can't get on the TV long enough to sink a massive amount of time into this, which is so far a better game than number two in my opinion. OK, the story is bobbins but there are some cool new tweaks that alter the way the game plays, something which wasn't quite so forthcoming in the second game.