IGNORED

Kanye West is insane

Eats hoops and leaves

Don't feel sorry for me. It doesn't change the fact the Biggie / Tupac / Puff etc are from a different generation to my heroes of rap and hip hop, which in my opinion were superior in so many ways. I was surprised by your response though.

Woah there, nobody mentioned them.

You've made the error of seeing Hip Hop as one collective hive mind that's slowly been corrupted by shiny things, when really there are thousand upon thousand of artists making records for different reasons. The chains and grillzzzzzz crew are naturally more visible, that's all. There are still people making raw, furiously exciting records. If they were still dropping sirens 'n' rhetoric PE-style it would have worn pretty thin by now anyway.

:)

What has it got to do with anything? Ignorance of hip-hop is the mainstay of the know-it-all self-proclaimed intellect whose own trumpet blowing habits end up having them all patting each other on the back, becoming more pigeon holed as time goes on, whinging that it only counts if they have guitars in the song or they write their own music or are a 'band' as opposed to individual artist or whatever other childish criteria they live by.

What has it got to do with anything? Ignorance of hip-hop is the mainstay of the know-it-all self-proclaimed intellect whose own trumpet blowing habits end up having them all patting each other on the back, becoming more pigeon holed as time goes on, whinging that it only counts if they have guitars in the song or they write their own music or are a 'band' as opposed to individual artist or whatever other childish criteria they live by.

What?

Are you suggesting that I'm ignorant regarding hip hop or are you just having a bit of a rant?

In this thread

Kanye West VS. Thom Yorke

Clearly Thom Yorke would win because he is actually fucking talented. But whatever, the usual Hip-Hop Fanatics are out in full force. Unfortunately for them in this case, they're wrong. Kanye West is insane, comparing himself against Thom Yorke, oh dear.

Lol, Thom Yorke is essentially a ginger, one-eyed english version of Damo Suzuki. Only not as cool.

So. Lol again.

Secondly, you like Blink 182. So. Thrice Lols.

:) OLD SCHOOL vs NEW SKOOL

Definition of OLD SCHOOL

A purpose, a unified call to arms.

A message

A reason to exist as a musical art form

Definition of NEW SKOOL

How much money I have over what you have

How big my rims are

How I am going to shoot other black people who dis those other 2 points above

Are you kidding? Probably 90% of true old school hip-hop was about flaunting cash and being better than the next guy braggadocio shit. And whenabouts did the "old school" end, out of interest?

Are you kidding? Probably 90% of true old school hip-hop was about flaunting cash and being better than the next guy braggadocio shit. And whenabouts did the "old school" end, out of interest?

Englishbob was there, so englishbob is the knowledge!

Apparently.

After "Fear of a Black Planet" was released!

:D

Christ, you just don't get it. I'll write it down to make it perfectly clear:

The old-school period died in the mid-80s, soon after a new focused style was popularised by Run DMC. The new style was made from a very structured format involving some kind of flow, in comparison to the old-school/original style which tended to be excitable phrases put together, filling out spaces either with stock phrases or repeats or whatever (e.g. "and you don't stop"), or maybe stretching words to fill the same space occupied by more syllables.

Example of new-school, made in 1985, predating some of your examples

Passion for music is great.

But all this 'schooling' and Hip Hop education shit and beefing is well gay.

It's not about "schooling", it's about clarifying a very specific term used by the poster in question, who preaches that all music in a genre after such a time is crap. If everyone said that all music after Bach was crap then we'd be completely lost.

Is that it?

If you haven't got the ammo for the argument, then don't even bother.

Oh for fucks sake, this has got out of hand. When I made my old school / new skool post quote, it was hardly being incredibly factual. In fact everything is pretty much relative to your own personal experience and it was my way of saying that I think that rap has lost its way a bit. A lot in fact. In my opinion, and it is only in my opinion, that the majority of rap is pretty much the same the world over now. Its not to say I haven't liked a few rap LP's over the years though, Jay-Z's Black Album, Outkast, Missy Elliot being some great highlights.

What I never expected was someone to jump in and start to get all factual and educational on my ass. Liquid Myth, your previous post was everything I could possibly hate about music, being over analytical. Listen to the stuff, don't write a fucking essay on the music.

I agree with englishbob though, Biggie Smalls is way overrated in the hip hop community.

Personally, apart from 'Unbelievable', 'Juicy' and 'Hypnotize' I'm not fussed about him. And I spit rules for you forum fools.

I agree with englishbob though, Biggie Smalls is way overrated in the hip hop community.

Personally, apart from 'Unbelievable', 'Juicy' and 'Hypnotize' I'm not fussed about him. And I spit rules for you forum fools.

Well, there's all manner of reasons that caused Biggie to be put on a pedestal, but Ready to Die was a really good album and clearly the work of a hungry MC (no pun intended). Everything after that? Well, glossy, overproduced and marketable sums it up for me.

Well, there's all manner of reasons that caused Biggie to be put on a pedestal, but Ready to Die was a really good album and clearly the work of a hungry MC (no pun intended). Everything after that? Well, glossy, overproduced and marketable sums it up for me.

Everything after that as in Life after Death or hip hop as a whole?