Sony Now Charging Publishers For PS3 Downloadable Content

Roboplegic Wrongcock

Only problem is, apple is even more money hungry than all of the rest put together, but the console would just look and play :)

If it's like their computers, it'll be awful. I use Apple computers at work, and they are fucking shit compared to my Windows XP comp at home. I mean seriously, it may look all neat and clean, but it has none of the weird, dodgy, home-coded hack job programmes that a Windows computer has. I mean SMD to BIN? APE to WAV? Decent emulators for obscure Japanese computers like the NEC PC88? Strange indie games? I mean, WHERE is the weird shit which I've got clogging up my XP rig?

If it wasn't for In-Design and every journalistic publication propping them up, Apple computers would have died a much deserved death. Utterly useless for anything non-vanilla and pedestrian.

Apple Macs are like nouveau cuisine in a sleek restaurant where all the walls are white tile and the food is pretty but has no flavour, costs too much and is unfulfilling.

Windows XP is like a dodgy order at a hotdog stand inside a forgotten docklands basement on the dodgy side of London - it's probably the flesh of illegal immigrants as opposed to pork, but it's cheap, extremely plentiful, and full of spice.

Yeah, Sony are cunts because Microsoft make YOU pay for the bandwidth instead. Well done everyone.

Indeed. And charging for patches, that's working out awesomely.

The idea that this news would stop demos being released on PSN suggests that people are having trouble with the concept of what demos are for.

Saying that the iPhone is "Apple getting into gaming" is like saying ... ooh, I can't think of a good analogy today. It's like farmers who rent their land to music festivals being expected to know/give a shit about music. The iPhone is flooded with more crap software than the Atari 2600, because there are no technical requirements for iPhone software like there are on the consoles. Apple's internal culture just doesn't take games seriously in the same way MS and Sony do.

The idea that this news would stop demos being released on PSN suggests that people are having trouble with the concept of what demos are for.

Depends on what the ROI of a demo is, and how that badly that number is modified by a bandwidth charge.

Why has this become a discussion about Live subs?

It's a negative thread about Sony fucking up again so derailment attempts are to be expected preferably ones that can somehow drag the 360 in and try to show it in a bad light (evil MS, "idiots" who pay for live subs) - you'd have thought people would have given up by now.

Most likely because of the argument that if Sony had had similar charges to Live for PSN they wouldn't be needing to charge for downloads.

Not saying I agree with that view mind you, I have no idea if it would be true or not.

If it's like their computers, it'll be awful. I use Apple computers at work, and they are fucking shit compared to my Windows XP comp at home. I mean seriously, it may look all neat and clean, but it has none of the weird, dodgy, home-coded hack job programmes that a Windows computer has. I mean SMD to BIN? APE to WAV? Decent emulators for obscure Japanese computers like the NEC PC88? Strange indie games? I mean, WHERE is the weird shit which I've got clogging up my XP rig?

If it wasn't for In-Design and every journalistic publication propping them up, Apple computers would have died a much deserved death. Utterly useless for anything non-vanilla and pedestrian.

Apple Macs are like nouveau cuisine in a sleek restaurant where all the walls are white tile and the food is pretty but has no flavour, costs too much and is unfulfilling.

Windows XP is like a dodgy order at a hotdog stand inside a forgotten docklands basement on the dodgy side of London - it's probably the flesh of illegal immigrants as opposed to pork, but it's cheap, extremely plentiful, and full of spice.

Strangely enough my entire company uses Macs and I have a MacBook Pro of my own that sits in work also next to my iMac so that I can work on presentations on my MBP and then do email etc from my iMac. No problems. No shutting down, switching off or freezing up programs.

It does everything I need to do my job and does it better than the PC at my last job. However, this isn't a PC/Mac debate it is whether Apple could make a good console - personally I hope they don't enter it because it would make four machines on the market and I only have two at the moment.

Apple are already in gaming but there is only small amount of good games on the iPhone compared to the majority of shit that is out there.

However, this isn't a PC/Mac debate it is whether Apple could make a good console

So why did you make that post?

Anyway, given Apples history of dealings with third party developers and their general dismissal of gaming I would doubt a games console would get off the ground. At least with Microsoft and the launch of the Xbox you had a combination of a huge cash mountain, their long history of superb developer support and a well known and supported games development API. Apple would have to come to market with essentially none of these.

So why did you make that post?

Well to be fair it was Sketch who brought the tired old Windows vs Mac debate into it, and given the amount of flame bait lol that post contained, I thought Phelan's comments were well retrained.

Anyway, given Apples history of dealings with third party developers and their general dismissal of gaming I would doubt a games console would get off the ground. At least with Microsoft and the launch of the Xbox you had a combination of a huge cash mountain, their long history of superb developer support and a well known and supported games development API. Apple would have to come to market with essentially none of these.

I agree with that. For Apple, games are very much an afterthought of whatever they're doing, be it iPod's or OS's. That said, they have shown a keenness to get a box under the TV with Apple TV and games have proven themselves to be one of the most effective means of getting a proprietary box under peoples TV's.

If they ever felt that Sony or MS were seriously eating into their iPod sales and iTunes usage because of their alternative services, I'd bet on Apple getting into gaming ASAP, or maybe partnering with Nintendo, to install iTunes on Wii2.

I questioned the outrage directed at Sony for charging publishers for bandwidth in order to keep the service free for customers whilst seemingly being happy to pay £40 out of their own pocket to Microsoft. I mean it's touching and everything. Maybe we should have Fairtrade Demos to make sure Publishers aren't being exploited.

Indeed. And charging for patches, that's working out awesomely.

Charging for patches? Really?

It could potentially affect the decision to make a demo for a lower budget game, but for the larger ones then it's not such a consideration.

Saying that the iPhone is "Apple getting into gaming" is like saying ... ooh, I can't think of a good analogy today. It's like farmers who rent their land to music festivals being expected to know/give a shit about music. The iPhone is flooded with more crap software than the Atari 2600, because there are no technical requirements for iPhone software like there are on the consoles. Apple's internal culture just doesn't take games seriously in the same way MS and Sony do.

I do agree that's the situation at the moment, but I also know that some publishers have started making plans to start developing for the iPhone as a platform, and I mean proper publishers with decent IP. Well, having said that they may license the IP for these projects, but it's certainly on the radar.

It's a negative thread about Sony fucking up again so derailment attempts are to be expected preferably ones that can somehow drag the 360 in and try to show it in a bad light (evil MS, "idiots" who pay for live subs) - you'd have thought people would have given up by now.

Nah, I started it and have absolutely no interest in this fanboy bullshit.