Retail prices on the highstreet

Ketchup

Went looking for GTA: Chinatown wars on the DS. Play.com and amazon currently have it for sale at £17.99. Yet in PC World, Blockbuster, Sainsburys, GAME and Gamestation it is £29.99. Only Argos (as far as i know) has it for £24.99.

It's a no brainer, i could pay an extra £12 to get it right now or either pay for first class post from amazon or have ordered it a day or two earlier.

Sega games you also have to watch out for. Madworld is currently £32 in the local shops, but i'd say give it 2-4 weeks and it'll be £20. For some reason Sega drop their game prices hugely within weeks of launch. No point buying their games at full price no matter how good (or not) they are.

The high street really has to catch up because im sure im not the only sale they lost and play.com gained.

And even if you do bite the bullet and buy it on the high street half the time they take the disc from a cardboard envelope with the internal consistency of sandpaper and stick it in an empty box in front of you. I know it's anal but if I'm paying full whack for a new game I like to get it sealed up and scratch free.

Exactly, we have this thread every 6 months or so and the same tripe gets rolled out. "ZOMG IT'S SO EXPENSIVE!! HOW DO THEY STAY OPEN?!?!"#

Because the majority of schmo's shop in game and gamestation and HMV and don't trust online shops. Also, never underestimate the power of instant purchase gratification.

Trying to find Fifa 09, Fight Night Round 3 and Pure today. £30, £15 (preowned) and £32 minimum for all of them.

Without as much as looking for cheaper prices, £25, £8.95 and £18 on the internet. Shocking.

At least HMV's trade ins can be used on other stuff, got rid of my trade-ins to replace my headphones and couldn't bring myself to pay any of those prices for any of them in the end.

And even if you do bite the bullet and buy it on the high street half the time they take the disc from a cardboard envelope with the internal consistency of sandpaper and stick it in an empty box in front of you. I know it's anal but if I'm paying full whack for a new game I like to get it sealed up and scratch free.

This really bloody bugs me, especially seeing it in GAME stores.

Yes, we know fine well that you're trying to make things more secure in the store, but for fucks sake, that's what security tags are for.

More annoyingly, seeing GAME stores that keep the new games stored away in a shitty drawer, yet have the pre-owned games all security tagged and fully boxed, presumably because they can't spare the drawer space.

This really bloody bugs me, especially seeing it in GAME stores.

Yes, we know fine well that you're trying to make things more secure in the store, but for fucks sake, that's what security tags are for.

More annoyingly, seeing GAME stores that keep the new games stored away in a shitty drawer, yet have the pre-owned games all security tagged and fully boxed, presumably because they can't spare the drawer space.

Security tags are only even moderately useful if you have a big, burly security man to run after them when the security tag sets off the alarms. My local one certainly doesn't have one of those.

You can't trade online, and that's why people will still shop on the high street, because people want to trade their horrible pieces of shit for new games, and other people want to buy the horrible pieces of shit second hand.

Amazon in the US have just started a trade-in scheme (for Amazon credit) where you enter what game you want to trade, get offered a price, and then print off a free-post label to send it off.

Amazon in the US have just started a trade-in scheme (for Amazon credit) where you enter what game you want to trade, get offered a price, and then print off a free-post label to send it off.

If (when) that gets introduced here, I'll have NO need to visit a shop. Ever. I rarely trade in, but that will be the preferred method.

At least you have the choice. In Holland prices in the highstreet or for mailorder are the same. So I can either have GTA:CW from the store or online withing a day for 40 euro's (with the current exchange rate that's about 36 quid) or order it from the UK and pay about 25 euro's delivered but having to wait at least a week.

At least you have the choice. In Holland prices in the highstreet or for mailorder are the same. So I can either have GTA:CW from the store or online withing a day for 40 euro's (with the current exchange rate that's about 36 quid) or order it from the UK and pay about 25 euro's delivered but having to wait at least a week.

Yuk.

Is that some crazy legal requirement for the prices to be the same? Or just the way things are?

I used to trade games in, but when they started offering insulting amounts of credit I packed it in and switched to selling them directly, either on here or via Amazon. The mark up on trade-ins that GAME make must be obscene cos they buy for next to nothing and then sell for far higher. I know that's just good business, as long as people are willing to let it happen. But why would somone trade in a game for say £5 credit when you could sell it direct for say £12? I guess it's just down to convenience.

Let's just pin this down precisely...

Retail will continue because we're a hunter-gatherer species - we like to go out and get shit - we do NOT get the same kick out of clicking some buttons and awaiting a random visit from a postman who may, or may not, deliver shit to us (or he may make us goto the post office or even steal our shit).

Don't get me wrong - I love internet shopping, I was doing it when most people were saying "it will never take off" etc. etc. - but it in NO WAY replaces the joy of getting things in your hand...

That said - GAME is (and Gamestation is fast turning into) FUCKING AWFUL places to be - they are full of games no-one cares about and have staff who pounce on you 20 secs after you enter and ask if you need any help and .....

Were it not for our local indie chain (Grainger Games) I'd buy WAY fewer games I suspect - they fullfill my need for 'hunter gatherer' moments - oh and they offer fair trade-ins and second-hand games cheap/that you can't get new anymore and - y'know' things we NEED.

It may be cheaper online but frankly it's a soulless and joyless way of getting things - there's no 'thrill' in it at all...

I rarely buy a game on launch any more because I'm never that excited by videogames. So I buy pretty much exclusively in shops because when I decide I want a game, I want to go out when I've made the decision and come home with it. I don't want to wait 3-5 business days. Maybe I'll have lost interest by then. I am the Platonic highstreet shopper.

I feel that unlike clothes shopping, where you can tell a lot more about a garment when it is physically present, reading the box of a game in your hand offers no benefits over the reading the same information on a website.