IGNORED

Max Payne 3 - Join the crew!

The Mighty Ash

I have to say, you lot really aren't selling this to me :D People saying it's hard though, that's always good to hear.

Cheers woo for the info.

First of all the gunplay is cinematic but you are in control. The gameplay makes it cinematic so to speak. Secondly, if you wouldn't have quoted me selectively, you would have seen that I said that I hardly use cover. It's just another tool in the shed. :)

Finished this a few hours ago and it's quite comfortably another jewel in Rockstar's ridiculous crown.

Subtle and obvious lessons learned from other R* titles came into play; golden handles on useable doors and over the top DDB. The complaints about bad checkpointing are fair enough but I've been given painkillers and more ammo, even on hard difficulty which I think more than balances it out. Meanwhile, excellent set pieces (which are all essentially the same thing) mixed in with the very cool drunken effects only add up to brilliance in pacing and narrative.

Favourite moments (Post-Completion):

- Diving through the nightclub window using a body as a cushion

-Diving through a window in the bus station, headshotting two guards before rotating 180 in mid-air and headshotting two more

- Diving onto the trolley and headshotting snipers on the police HQ roof

- Seeing the shotgun pellets in slow mo from the enemies perspective

- Any successful melee attempt, brutal and awesome

- The narrative piece which cuts off when Max drops the picture of Fabiana

- Unlocking PC/PS2 Max Payne for use in single player

As you can see, it involves alot of diving :).

Only negatives from me really; few graphical glitches, Max feels way too weighty and cumbersome on getting up, throwing grenades online is like winding up a car jack and online TDM (so far) feels like a mindless clusterfuck.

Otherwise, it's surely the best game of this year so far. Now I'm just about to run through some missions again on the New York Minute mode. The only advice I give to newcomers: if in doubt, dive.

This has to be some of Rockstar's finest character work. That scene

In the bar as young Max and the shootout with Tony

was jaw dropping. I genuinely forgot I was playing a game during that, it was so expertly directed and shot - and then you take over the controls. Pure brilliance.

I think the gameplay has much more in common with Manhunt than Max Payne, especially the second half of Manhunt. The way some of the gunfights are positioned with, say, Max looking up a flight of stairs, the way it's framed, stylised and cropped - straight out of Manhunt. The music is very similar too. Classic Rockstar.

Didn't expect it to be anywhere near this good.

I loved that chapter 4 scene as well, the facial expression Max pulls when they mention

'the old lady'

had me on the edge of my seat, you just knew it was going to explode into violence, the question was when.

I'm upto chapter 6 again now on my Hard Run through and with the medium experience behind me and a full grasp of the controls I'm really enjoying myself. I just did the first shootout on that stage and it was awesome,spraying Uzi fire hitting the first goon in the neck and seeing papers and glass and blood fly eveywhere, running the right hand of the room spraying Uzi at arms length and watching the world crumble to pieces. Launching in to a shoot dodge and headshotting the guy at the end of the hall, hitting the ground hard lying prone spraying 9mm rounds into his buddies legs and watching eurphoria do it's thing as there's no time to go for the headshot. Hitting B to bring Max into cover, I blindfire left to right to keep an eye on my attackers (and to look cool as fuck) in super-slow mo goodness. I spy a goon going for a flank through the centre so I rise up, still firing and pepper his chest with 9mm rounds, as he falls to the floor more round fly over his head and crack the glass behind him, I start running to the left do a sweet roll and grab another 9mm and launch into another shootdodge, taking out another 2 guys on the descent and watching them roll backwards over various furniture while blood splatter everywhere. Now it's just me and one guy trying to take me out, i double tap A and do a sweet roll, spy a Benelli Shotgun glistening in front of me, I grab it, twist hard and pull the trigger, stagger the guy but don't kill him, a second shot and the bullet cam kicks in and the little pellets shred him to bits. And the beauty of this is the next 10 times i play this section, it will be different every single time.

It's good stuff man, an action junkies dream. Be sure to turn Bullet Time FX OFF so you get the SLICK MP1 slowmo, it makes a real difference and you can see all the devil's details.

Also that bit on Chapter V where you

are riding the boat with passos, and shoot a grenade in mid air from some goon on the pier, the explosion sets off the barrels and he looks at them as if to say ' oh, FUCK' then flies through the air in a ball of flames NEVER GETS OLD !!!

The action in this game is absolutely top tier. It's a different game from Remedy's efforts, not as good in my opinion but then again you can't improve on perfection. I'll give Rockstar some serious credit for this title because it's by far their best release of this gen for me. It's a shame the control out the box is so fucked, because it's put a lot of my friends off it.

2012 challenge : 1000 point this bad boy. And looking at the upcoming release schedules it's a good job there's so much replay value.

My main points of contention are (and this is nit-picking I know, but meh)

• The dark humour of the Remedy games is really missed for me, I used to love hanging about listening to the enemies dumb conversations about action movie cliche's and the like. Lords and ladies and Address Unknown, the Baseball Bat costume stuff, the parts in the police station etc .... I loved those, it was much needed lightness in the the sheer depressing nature of the world.
  • The Health score is brilliant but the score for MP2 is in my top 5 ever ..it had a real 'crime movie' vibe to it. Only Chapter 11 came close to that for me, and after the half way point you don't hear the classic Max theme again which was a real shame
  • Weapons! I do enjoy the guns in MP3 (particularly the UZI and the M300) but they do seem a bit conservative. The Sawn off was dramatically underused, as was the Desert Eagle. I was looking forward to getting something like the Striker from MP2 and going absolutely hog-wild on the enemies, but that never came. Grenades and Molotovs would've been a massive help for some of the crowd control situation,and we all know how cool explosions + slow mo are.
  • The bad guys were really undeveloped for me, I enjoyed the overarching story but it was like they wrote too many strands and had trouble tying them up. Nicole Horne was a real bitch and Vladmir Lem was a smooth talking asswipe, so taking him out in MP2 was just awesome. I didn't get the same, fist pump, FUCK YEAH moment because in this case the main villain just wasn't developed or scummy enough.
  • Bald Max - I know i know, but even in the story progression it just made little sense. Dude is mad enough to shave his head but not his shitty beard? I think that would've helped. It's like someone watched Death Sentence (cool movie btw) too many times and thought yeah i'll have some of that. I did like the postgame extras that go some way to addressing this, so that's cool.

Other than that.....it's a fucking great game and along with Binary Domain the most fun i've had on the 360 for ages!!!

really enjoying the multiplayer and havent been off it for a couple of days.

The pistol vs Assault rifle trade off can sometimes feel really unfair as the assault rifles are far too underpowered., as does chipping away at a player to have them hit you once in the head for the kill?

Also coming across some bastard whose level 20 with that scoped death rifle is a tad annoying. But overall it has far more depth than anything they have tried previous and it all seems stable and lag free, and when you get a run on the go it can be glorious. Plus there are enough modes especially gang war that keep me playing it.

On day one I had an issue trying to download the 11mb update on 360, but as I wanted to play the story first I wasn't bothered. Now I'm having a play with "new york minute" mode thing, I want to see friends times etc. so I'm trying to get the patch, but it just fails to download every time (the bar fills like 5% then stops) - anyone else had this? I've tried clearing the system cache, I've also deleted the disc 1 install file (didn't bother installing disc 2) and a partial update download, but nothing seems to work - very annoying!

Just finished this. A game that gets better and better as it goes.

The last level, I absolutely loved:

The fights through the huge terminal areas followed by the lights out tram station and tram fight was possibly the best sequence of a single player shooter I've played. The music was just incredible and I didn't mind replaying the parts when I died one bit.

The final boss was tricky but satisfying. I wouldn't have finished it were it not for pressing x from a dive to go straight into cover. I was headshotting like a king. Complete contrast to when I started and could barely hit one.

I'll have a go at hardcore mode but hard felt about right. A real challenge throughout and I felt incredibly vulnerable. As you should do when you're getting shot at.

Euphoria never gets old.

A word for the AI which was incredibly aggressive and convincing throughout.

Absolutely fantastic game, I'll write more when I've digested it.

Let me shoot any reviews saying the balance is out right down. There's two or three very tricky, long parts but they are clearly purposeful and if anything are hard to challenge the player. I was infinitely better at the game when it ended than early on.

Let me shoot any reviews saying the balance is out right down. There's two or three very tricky, long parts but they are clearly purposeful and if anything are hard to challenge the player. I was infinitely better at the game when it ended than early on.

Yep, absolutely agree. It's definitely the game trying to teach you the intricacies of its combat rather than letting you just blunder and fudge your way through it. I tried rushing my way through a few of the longer sections - forget it. The gunplay is slow and deliberate, and let's not forget you're playing an ageing, jaded alcoholic, so that must also be compensated for. You really feel Max's world-weariness and grizzled fatigue coming through in the combat.

Brilliant line of dialogue I heard earlier when Max was in the bathroom of his own apartment during a massive firefight: "I always imagined my face getting blown off in front of this mirror, but didn't ever think it would be someone else doing it" - laughed my arse off at that.

One thing I noticed during multi is when you hold down the sprint button your character is a lot more responsive and lighter compared to when you're at normal run speed, even compared to single players run.

One thing I noticed during multi is when you hold down the sprint button your character is a lot more responsive and lighter compared to normal run speed, even compared to single player.

Wut?

*checks manual*

Ok, I'm on the penultimate mission and I discover there's a sprint button.

Oh great, I'm on the

Wut?

*checks manual*

Oh great, I'm on the penultimate mission and I discover there's a sprint button.

I wouldn't worry too much Karzee, I don't recall using the sprint button that much in single player. Poor ol Max gets knackered very quickly :D

It says in the manual, "Sprinting is essential to survive all missions and only those with hardcore mad-skills will succeed without it".

Yep, I reckon that sounds about right.

*saunters of to start the last chapter*

We played through this this weekend, and I thought it was pretty amazing on a technical level, a little less so on the gameplay front. The shooting is very well done and it feels very satisfying to pop 7 heads in one slow mo burst, but clear a single room in the game and you've pretty much seen the whole game apart from a few turret sections. That said, it's very well done, it plays really well and the whole cinematic angle is just amazing. The attention to detail is incredible, and the way the story flows and the way the game moves between present time and the past is just wonderfully done. As we played Boutros' copy, I can't try any of the other modes or settings, but if the PC version turns out to be good, I might take the plunge when it comes out, otherwise I'll probably pick this up for the 360 when it's cheap.

Just beat the game, what a rush. I will state here and now and please bear in mind ladies & gentlemen it is just my opinion and mine alone but I do feel this is the best 3rd person shooter ever crafted and a modern day masterpiece. I should also add it has the best melee action in any game period.

I was able to acquire 5 golden guns during my first run so I will have some pimped up firepower for multiplayer.

Max Payne, what a guy !

I should also add it has the best melee action in any game period.

Really?

I think I meleed about two people in the entire game, and it's the exact same system as Red Dead. The melee in MP is ridiculously weedy looking (even though it's a one hit kill).

Just beat the game, what a rush. I will state here and now and please bear in mind ladies & gentlemen it is just my opinion and mine alone but I do feel this is the best 3rd person shooter ever crafted and a modern day masterpiece. I should also add it has the best melee action in any game period.

I was able to acquire 5 golden guns during my first run so I will have some pimped up firepower for multiplayer.

Max Payne, what a guy !

In many ways MP3 is a brilliant action game and I love the many additions it makes to the genre such as the satisfying combat, the funny as hell killcams where you can keep putting bullets into people and epecially the wonderful euphoria engine which more developers really need to use whilst making games. All wonderful additions without a doubt. But I'm going to be honest here, for me a perfect action game needs to nail absolutely everything and with the slightly clunky controls I just don't think Rockstar are there 'quite' yet. Now this is just my own personal opinion and I know some of you don't agree and that's fair enough but to me it's just too slow in character movement. I don't mean bad, I don't mean unacceptable, I just mean for me character movement isn't quite there yet. I apologise if that doesn't really make sense, it's just the way I feel about it. Compared to a few of my other favourites such as Uncharted 2 I much prefer that style of character movement and how much more nimble it is. Now I can at least understand their perspective of it for single player. Max is an old fella, drunk and a bit of a bum so he isn't exactly going to be super fit. For multiplayer though I still think things could be improved but this is their first multiplayer experience I've actually liked so that says a lot for how far they've come.

It probably sounds like I'm hating on it and I'm genuinely not, it'll be one of my favourite third person shooters this year (along with Binary Domain). But if they ever took Uncharted movement and then gave me everything else from MP3 it'd probably be one of my favourite games ever :lol: I just love the combat and guns so much - the slowmo, the crack of the guns, all the weaponary is awesome.

Any tips for what I assume is the final fight. No matter what, a grenade from that grenade launcher will find me at the worst fucking moment i.e. when I've just been shot to the ground, when I'm reloading or when I've just come out of shoot-dodge/bullet time. I can't dodge them, and they come over too quick for me to aim unless by a stoke of luck I happen to have some bullet-time in my meter and I enable it immediately. It's a one hit kill so I'm just dying over and over and over and over

I know me, I'll do it first bloody time tomorrow but right now it's pissing me off when I can't figure out what to do.