The iOS gaming thread

Scog

Nope, you can pick any stage for it. But obviously that one is the best, if you can do it right.

Nah... you want Renfield on the Bucket stage or Splork on the stage with the three concentric circles (large, small, large), with the orbiting pegs, making sure you wait and get get greens in the centre circles, surrounded by lots of orange pegs and the purple.

Das Bucket:

peggle.jpg

This Peggle is truly a rather fine game, is it not?

Never actually played it before. I think these PopCap chaps have a real knack for adding just the right mix of polish, humour and features to a basic concept in order to turn it into a really satisfying experience.

Not that, now Peggle is out, anyone will be playing Flashback, and not that I've suffered this, but watch out for save-load confusion - it could be costly!

It took me bloody ages to figure out just how to pick up the damn holocube :unsure:

Flashback looks absolutely dreadful. The original game had an elegant, discreet HUD that was virtually invisible in normal play; the iPhone version has about three quarters of the screen taken up by horrific late-nineties-web-design eye-clag. It’s fucking hideous.

Flashback looks absolutely dreadful. The original game had an elegant, discreet HUD that was virtually invisible in normal play; the iPhone version has about three quarters of the screen taken up by horrific late-nineties-web-design eye-clag. It’s fucking hideous.

True, and I'm not excusing that. But that's effectively the emulator, and if you can see past that then the game is pretty much the same as it was. The buttons could be more distinct, and the joystick is a pain (would tilt controls have worked?) but I'm really enjoying my run through.

(Okay, I am excusing it by what I say, but yes, it is rough.)

And yes, picking up the holocube took a while. Right now I'm working my way up Death Tower, and having a whale of a time. Do wonder if the more flexible save system is taking the edge off it, but think I'll need it to later on.

I'd never played Peggle before! For some reason, I mistakenly thought "Peggle" was that other game called Zuma, which I thought was a bit boring. So I never understood when everyone said Peggle was the most addictive thing ever.

But then I had a look on the app store. And bought Peggle. I now know what Peggle is... it's digital crack cocaine.

I've just yarred Sonic 1 (I always try before I buy), and it's a bit shit. It looks nice (although the front-end is ugly as hell), but either the physics are wrong or it's too fast: Sonic seems really heavy, and the framerate is bloody awful. It controls well enough in the arcade view (I love how the Mega Drive d-pad tips around as it would in real life), but it's a complete dog to play.

The iPhone is more than capable of emulating a decent version of Sonic, so it's clearly just a case of them whacking it together in a few hours to peddle out on the App Store for a few quid at a time. They obviously don't care. And just take a look a look at Columns, which was released alongside the App Store, and which I stupidly paid £3 for: that was fucking awful, too. Lazy cunts.

A fucking shame, really. I'd love a decent version of Sonic 2 that I can play on my iPhone every now and then, but this doesn't really bode well.

In between Peggle sessions, I've been playing iShift (:shift: on the app store). Very nice. It's apparently based off a flash game, but I've never heard of it. I wasn't sure that touch controls would work for a platformer, but they do.

Has anyone tried Tocco Robo?

Looks like it might be a decent Zoo Keeper clone.

Looks a bit garish. MM Park is the best Zoo Keeper clone I have, but there are loads of good match 3 games with a different style of play to Zoo Keeper like Smiles, Trism, Montezuma, Azkend.

Color Drops is also good.

Motenzuma, Azkend and Color Drops are currently 59p.

Still playing through Rolando in anticipation of Rolando 2... however, this just happened on one of the Lost levels. Arse.

stuck in the spinner... Not game-breaking in any way, but very annoying.

3564303276_b9da3f6736.jpg

I've had stuff like that happen a couple of times.

Whatever I'm playing, I always go back to Drop7 eventually.

Bought that GTa clone Car jack something, as it was 59p over the weekend. Not too shabby, really.

6/10 for no map and weird controls.

Check your app store - I got an update earlier that added the GPS map and a different (albeit equally awkward) control scheme for the vehicles.

The game's not incredible, but you can't complain for 59p. Well, I can, because I paid full-whack for it. But still.

I can't stop playing Ninjas Tokyo. It's just the same thing as iMafia or any other Playmesh game but I settled for this one and it's amazing. You can only play a bit at a time which keeps it interesting and it's a constant supply of RPG style level strategising - health or energy? Big spell or small? It's really great. Also free.

Well, many of the more polished apps will have required as much funding as games on other platforms - not everything was coded by a bedroom keyboard warrior. Plus, there's advertising and whatnot, which can be make or break on the app store.

My guess is they provide an avenue for developers who lack resources to get their app developed and publicised.