The iOS gaming thread

Scog

So my hacked GTA just wouldnt sync last night and took itself off my first gen touch - loosing me several hours in the process - and I have no idea why.

A restore didn't help the situation so I've given up.

Shame as I was really enjoying it.

Will have to keep it sat in my iTunes for any potential hardware upgrade in the future.

An Assassin in Orlendes is very good, playing it lots last night. It's such a smooth examples of the gametype in this format and - for me - having the options after the block of text makes a huge difference. It prevents the flow of the narrative being broken up with "CLICK HERE TO HIT THE SERPENT" and means I can make an informed choice. Very enjoyable, £2.99 well spent.

I bought two £2.99 games today, Space Miner: Space Ore Bust

It's a fine little game. The controls works as well as the iPhone will allow and the game is very pretty and addictive with some genuinely amusing self-referential writing. It's not especially deep, folk have described it as an RPG which is going a little far - think of it as Asteroids meets Miner Dig Deep. Talking of which an XBLA/Indie release of this would be perfect.

I didn't play the wolfenstein rpg but so far, doom 2 rpg is pretty fun! It's not uber deep and the start is needlessly slow and constantly interrupted by tutorial stuff. However, it picks up the pace quite quickly and has a surprising amount of interactivity. You can rip off environmental details and throw them at enemies, blow out windows and depressurise rooms, hack terminals etc. The three character classes offer some variety, and the amount of loot (some often humorous) is quite satisfying. There's a healthy amount of gore and gibbage as well. Not bad at all for the low price I reckon.

I see Wild West Pinball got an update with some multiball gubbins and stereoscopic 3D imaging. That's the 3D you use the coloured specs for. I don't know if this is a silly gimmick or if it actually works with any great effect.

An Assassin in Orlendes is very good, playing it lots last night. It's such a smooth examples of the gametype in this format and - for me - having the options after the block of text makes a huge difference. It prevents the flow of the narrative being broken up with "CLICK HERE TO HIT THE SERPENT" and means I can make an informed choice. Very enjoyable, £2.99 well spent.

I hope everyone downloads a copy of this as its bloody well written and much better than the Fighting Fantasy effort. Want the company involved to make more.

I see Wild West Pinball got an update with some multiball gubbins and stereoscopic 3D imaging. That's the 3D you use the coloured specs for. I don't know if this is a silly gimmick or if it actually works with any great effect.

How does that board compare to The Deep?

I missed out on buying it for 59p the other week.

I bought Big Buck Hunter Pro for 59p.

Lovely shooting gallery style game. Polished, online leaderboards, great graphics and a simple mechanic.

Hit the Bucks, miss the Does.

Best of the hunting style games I've played.

Seperately, Anno is coming out soon. WOO.

How does that board compare to The Deep?

I missed out on buying it for 59p the other week.

Wild West Pinball was the first one they released, and as such it's quite basic compared to The Deep (and obviously Jungle Style outdoes them both).

It's still excellent though. I've got all three and chop and change between them for a bit of variety. Best pinball sims I've tried on any platform by a country mile.

They tend to make the older versions free every now and again, but they're easily worth the low purchase price.

IMO Wild West Pinball is an infuriating, broken heap of shit. The problem with a lot of pinball games is that it would seem the designers are too busy with the physics to have actually played a fucking pinball machine in their life. There's no flow, no skill, no joy and insta-deaths because of poorly laid-out tables aplenty.

The Deep is little better.

Give me Balls of Steel or Psycho Pinball any day of the week.

I keep going back to The Deep as it's a nice short game. The design does wind me up a bit though, there's often a time when the ball is near the top of the screen when I just know it's going to fall down the middle without anything I can do. It's annoying when I've managed to clock up a nice run.

I've not tried using the tilt function much though, actually I only discovered it a few days ago, maybe that will help if I see the ball rolling down the centre path of doom.

I think I've managed to score about 9mil so far, way off the 268mil of the top ten.

It's fucking great. And horrible. And great. And irritating as fuck. And amazing.

the amount of expletives I let fly when playing this on the train is, ehm, probably quite frightening for those unfortunate enough to be sitting near me.

I hope you are all playing supernova mode though?

they really need to update the other gametypes (at least gravity anyway) to allow free aiming and build in the same chaining mechanism.

they really need to update the other gametypes (at least gravity anyway) to allow free aiming and build in the same chaining mechanism.

No way. That would ruin their mechanic. Pure mode is nothing but utter rage-inducing HELL, but I love it. (Except when it drops a few frames. That is annoying for all the wrong reasons).

Yay to Plants Vs Zombies. Never got round to actually playing past the trial version.

Doom II RPG is out

http://www.idsoftware.com/doom-2-rpg/

Looks to be based on the Wolfenstein RPG engine, so it's a 3D world, but with 2D sprites and is grid & turn based.

I enjoyed the old original Doom RPG which I played on a old shitty Nokia years ago, so I bought this without thinking. Then remembered what a huge chore Wolfenstein RPG was to play. Oh well we shall see