The iOS gaming thread

Scog

Ridge Racer is 59p, worth that?

A lot of Namco stuff is reduced for Valentine's Day.

If you've got a 3GS, then Ridge is brilliant. It's one of my top iPhone games. But it's not 59p - it's 59p + about £3.00 for the extra cars and tracks.

Definitely worth 59p to test it out, though, then if you like it you can buy the rest.

Cheers, I'll give it a go methinks!

Star Wars Force Unleashed is down to 59p too! (I assume, 99c anyway)

Is that good?

The Lite was one of the first things I tried when I got my iPhone. I seem to remember it just makes you draw shapes on the screen to use the force, there's no actual moving around control or anything. I thought it was a bit rubbish - and this was when my phone was shiny and new and everything was amazing - but it's Star Wars and 59p, so I'll probably buy it anyway.

Ridge Racer is 59p, worth that?

Contrary to therev, I'd say no way. I think it's absolute dog shit and the only iPhone game I've had buyer's remorse over. It seems churlish to critise a game that costs 59p, but I'm going to anyway. I'm a huge fan of the Ridge Racer series, and have played it on pretty much every platform its been released on. But this is by far the poorest version, even worst than the DS abomination. The motion controls make controlling it a nightmare, giving me flashbacks to flailing a Sizaxis, around trying to play Lair. All the cars have huge understeer when not drifting. It has an unskippable intro movie - just the thing for a pick-up-and-play iPhone game - and an unskippable course flyover at the start of a race. Even on the 3GS, the frame rate regularly dips significantly; on older iPhones, the frame rate is meant to be appaling. The lack of included cars and tracks, and the high cost of the DLC means that you get a bare bones game.

Apologies in advance for the shameless self promotion but my companies' game Astro Ranch is out in a week and a bit and we've just released a gameplay video:

I didn't help develop it but I am helping with the testing (bloody everyone is!) and I really love it and thoroughly recommend it when it comes out. Think the price is starting out at £1.79 so it's not too expensive either!

Contrary to therev, I'd say no way. I think it's absolute dog shit and the only iPhone game I've had buyer's remorse over. It seems churlish to critise a game that costs 59p, but I'm going to anyway. I'm a huge fan of the Ridge Racer series, and have played it on pretty much every platform its been released on. But this is by far the poorest version, even worst than the DS abomination. The motion controls make controlling it a nightmare, giving me flashbacks to flailing a Sizaxis, around trying to play Lair. All the cars have huge understeer when not drifting. It has an unskippable intro movie - just the thing for a pick-up-and-play iPhone game - and an unskippable course flyover at the start of a race. Even on the 3GS, the frame rate regularly dips significantly; on older iPhones, the frame rate is meant to be appaling. The lack of included cars and tracks, and the high cost of the DLC means that you get a bare bones game.

Ha! Now we've confused people! I love the way it feels, though. It's completely different from the PSP version, but hugely exciting.

The intro movie is skippable - just tap the screen and click Done, like any other movie. The course flybys aren't skippable - I assume they're fancy loading screens.

And have you tried it since the update? Sorted out all my framerate issues on my 3GS.

Ha - I've just loaded it and found that tap-tap-tapping the screen during the movie does nothing, but a single press does bring up the option to choose 'Done'. Damn my angry fingers. I've wasted a good 10 minutes of my life watching that cocking intro.

Posted about it earlier in thread - it's very much built around the Wolf model.

Bollocks, I wished I had read that before buying (and before posting!)

"war of attrition" describes Wolf RPG very well and I hated that, it was a pointless heal, bash, bash, heal, bash, bash, heal... loop.

Oh well :facepalm:

@RockstarGames Celebrate Chinese New Year with 30% off Chinatown Wars for iPhone at the App Store - This weekend only. http://bit.ly/cM2OtK

In celebration of the Year of the Tiger, Rockstar Games is happy to announce a Special Price Promotion for Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars for the iPhone and iPod touch. Starting tomorrow, Friday, February 12th until midnight Sunday, February 14 (EST), one of the highest rated handheld games will be 30% off in the iTunes App Store. Happy Chinese New Year!

So, CoD: Zombies got its update. The new map seems to be a lot bigger and harder. Apparently I need to be looking for a power switch, but I've yet to find it. I don't last nearly as long as I do on the other map.

Also, Angry Birds got an excellent update. Forty new levels, leaderboards, achievements, etc.