The iOS gaming thread

Scog

If you're a 4 year old girl, you'll love Fairy Trails. I've never seen them react to a game with such delight. It's an augmented reality app that superimposes animated fairies and butterflies everywhere, and you can tap to catch them and put them in jars. Occasionally you have to shake the iPhone to charge up your magic. And that's it.

So, basically, it's an iPhone app that encourages tiny kids to roam all about the house, holding the iPhone delicately in one hand so as not to cover the camera hole, not looking where they're going, spinning round quickly to catch fast moving fairies, occassionally giving the phone a good hard shake. What could possibly go wrong?

Only been dropped twice, so far. I'm the one with butterflies. Could be the most expensive game I've ever bought.

have you done all the daily puzzles in pixelogic? they recently updated it so you can go back and do any that you missed.

I'm not really getting all the love for space miner. Just seems like a pointless grind. Shoot rocks for ages in order to get money. get money in order to make it easier to shoot rocks for ages. Occasionally forcing you to do an unskippable mission when all you wanted to do was go back to save the game and quit.

The problem with Plants Vs Zombies is that you can basically complete the game with the first few plants you get, at least on day levels. And there's no real sense of urgency during the final push if you still have all your lawnmowers intact, as they'll just kill them all.

I mean, it looks fine and all, but i'm on about 3.2 and I paused the game halfway through whilst getting off the tube, and must have accidentally pressed the continue button in my pocket, as the next thing I knew, I had completed the level without doing a fucking thing.

As repetitive as it might be, I just got all the achievements on PvZ. Probably the first iPhone game I've done that with.

And even with fog you don't have to change your tactics at all once you've unlocked a fair selection of plants. Sunflowers at the back, cat lily pads in the middle, and repeaters with fireballs at the side. You can do it all with only the back 3 rows.

have you done all the daily puzzles in pixelogic? they recently updated it so you can go back and do any that you missed.

I'm not really getting all the love for space miner. Just seems like a pointless grind. Shoot rocks for ages in order to get money. get money in order to make it easier to shoot rocks for ages. Occasionally forcing you to do an unskippable mission when all you wanted to do was go back to save the game and quit.

You never have to go back to base to save in space miner! Well, I don't anyway,it always just dumps me back wherever I was before pressing the home button.

I'm liking it generally, something strangely compelling about customising my little ship :lol:

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. Took about 8 hours or so altogether to clear everything and by that time my jalopy had been upgraded to a beast of a battleship. Liked the characters a lot, and the sense of humour, and thought it controlled really well. Not a massive variation in there, but weaving in and out of asteroids, drawing in enemies, exploding gasteroids in their faces- a lot of fun to be had.

Moved onto to Rogue Touch now which is (obviously) a roguelike- nicely done though, really does feel at times like good old fashioned Dungeons and Dragons.

Very much enjoying Zombie Cannon Carnage at the moment. It's one of those games where you launch a little chap from a cannon and fly across the screen, trying to get as far as possible while racking up points for hitting stuff along the way.

Hugely confusing at first - you'll feel it's impossible to work out what's going on due to tiny and graphics and the speed of it, then later realise you're seeing everything fine - once you learn the rules it becomes great fun.

It's only £1.19, so I won't feel upset when it inevitably goes down to 59p/free in a week's time.