IGNORED

The iOS gaming thread

Scog

Bought Rolando, but played mostly Word Jong. Love the daily challenge that is the same for all so you can post scores on Twitter etc. Really competitive.

WordJong is a great game I've recommended that before - well worth the £2.99 or whatever it is.

I tried a Doom port on my iPhone and it was dire.

However I trust Jon Carmack to have a slightly more successful stab at it!

Downloading Wolf3D now, boy is it slow :hat:

EDIT: Don't bother with the download link on that site, it's the source code, FFS!

It's not on the AppStore either

WordJong is a great game I've recommended that before - well worth the £2.99 or whatever it is.

59p at the moment!

Just played my first game - pretty decent. Can't see anywhere where I can see my own high score though - am I missing something?

I'm definitely getting Eliss later in the week and Touchgrind.

Here's another game, that I've been playing this evening which is great:

Slotz Racer:

slotz-racer.jpg

£2.99 on the App store. It's scalextric and it works superbly on the iPhone. Totally suited to the device. There's plenty of cars and Championships, track editor + download user created tracks, a plethora of options in terms of changes you can make and mulitplayer on one iPhone. Still photos of it don't quite do it justice either, in the graphics department.

I thought it would be too simplistic - but there's plenty of strategy - you will fly off continually by holding the accel down all the time.

Probably the most fully featured game I've come across on the IPhone and well worth a punt if you like racers. None of the more traditional driver-view racers hold up to it from the lite/demos I've played.

Also, 7 Cities is down from $4.99 to $.99 if you like TD games.

Wolfenstein 3D Classic is now up on the App Store

From reading John Camack's blog/article I thought this was going to be free, but it's £2.99 - but that does get you all 60 levels

I love the bit in that article where the devs at iD tell him it'll take 2 months to convert Wolfenstein RPG to the iPhone so he goes ahead an does it himself in 4 days :wub:

http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore...re?id=309470478

If he does Doom & makes a decent job of it, I might explode.

EDIT: Took a punt on Wolf 3D, it's good, blocky and primitive, but that's because you're playing a 15+ year old DOS game.

Controls surprisingly well, took some tweaks to the settings before I was 100% happy. It's still fun to play

iDracula and Sentinel are both excellent and very professional-looking. The former has been advertised enough, I'm sure, but the latter is a very polished tower defense game with some nice twists - namely interest earned on the post-wave cash reserves and the addition of multiple routes and barriers for the enemies to traverse on their way to your killing-corridors.

I'd skip Zen Bound at the price if anybody was considering it: the much-vaunted music is really jarring and the actual implementation of rotating the objects is quite fiddly. Pretty much the opposite of the relaxing puzzler it aims to be, basically.

Let's Golf looks like a passable Everybody's Golf clone on the surface but the controls and framerate are all over the place, making it alternately too easy and too difficult to land a good shot. It's worth a mention for the hot seat multiplayer (multiplayer pass-the-iphone mode) alone, which is a great idea.

Sway is nice but requires some real practice and concentration. Not something to play on a bus.

Orions is quite sloppy, presentation-wise, complains about a lack of memory even after a fresh boot (I think it has a problem with Instinctiv shuffle running in the background), has numerous translation problems and an almost vertical learning curve but for some reason I find it very compelling. It's essentially Magic: The Gathering with some turn-based strategy and base-building thrown in. You start with a home 'island' in a sea of clouds (for some reason the islands are dubbed Orions) and accrue new territories and powers through resource management and card battles.

MGS: Touch is horrible.

I'll grab Wolf3D from Cydia later as it looks good. Much better than the Doom port that's controlled with the accelerometer, anyway.

Played Wolfenstein on my little commute to/from London today.

It's awful.

It's aged horribly by E1M3 I was bored to tears, endless fucking identical corridors & rooms. The thought of playing 57 more levels of that was unbearable.

The controls are only just workable, because 90% of the time you face one enemy at a time, but god forbid it it ever got a bit more tricky as mashing your thumb around in the corner of the screen is no way to play a FPS, even a FPS as primitive as this. It was like watching your granny playing Q3 without the mouse and just using the keyboard

Don't waste £2.99 on this POS

You're thinking of a different version of Wolf on Cydia then, Joyrex. The version that's only just been put up is the Carmack version; it's actually open source, so all someone had to do was compile it and put it on Cydia. It's the same I tells ya.

You're thinking of a different version of Wolf on Cydia then, Joyrex. The version that's only just been put up is the Carmack version; it's actually open source, so all someone had to do was compile it and put it on Cydia. It's the same I tells ya.

Yup you're right - I stand corrected.

I could have saved myself 3 quid.

Arsing cock biscuits.

Took a punt on Wolf 3D, it's good, blocky and primitive, but that's because you're playing a 15+ year old DOS game.

Controls surprisingly well, took some tweaks to the settings before I was 100% happy. It's still fun to play

It's awful.

It's aged horribly by E1M3 I was bored to tears, endless fucking identical corridors & rooms. The thought of playing 57 more levels of that was unbearable.

The controls are only just workable

:D A classic case of denial followed by anger. Next comes...acceptance!

I've found that a huge chunk of the games I've played on the App Store aren't really that much cop. The ones that work the best, and have held my interest for much longer, are the simple puzzle and word games. The game I've played the most is Scrabble - although I've had to use a dodgy pirated version, as it's not available in the UK.

A lot of them suffer from bad controls, and they don't seem to work with the touchscreen and the accelerometer that well. And you see all kinds of reviews: 'OMFG, TEH BEST IFONE GAME EVA!', and it actually turns out to be quite shit, or doesn't keep your interest for more than a couple of goes.

Archibald's Adventures (as recommended by roberthazelby in the Retro folder) is very good though - the controls work well, and the levels are interesting. It's nice to play every now and then, clearing a few stages each time (which suits on-the-go gaming really well). On the other hand, I didn't have a clue what was going on in that Toy Bot Diaries - and it seemed to be really well reviewed, too.

I'd skip Zen Bound at the price if anybody was considering it: the much-vaunted music is really jarring and the actual implementation of rotating the objects is quite fiddly. Pretty much the opposite of the relaxing puzzler it aims to be, basically.

I thought that til I started using 2 thumbs

I've found that a huge chunk of the games I've played on the App Store aren't really that much cop. The ones that work the best, and have held my interest for much longer, are the simple puzzle and word games. The game I've played the most is Scrabble - although I've had to use a dodgy pirated version, as it's not available in the UK.

A lot of them suffer from bad controls, and they don't seem to work with the touchscreen and the accelerometer that well. And you see all kinds of reviews: 'OMFG, TEH BEST IFONE GAME EVA!', and it actually turns out to be quite shit, or doesn't keep your interest for more than a couple of goes.

Archibald's Adventures (as recommended by roberthazelby in the Retro folder) is very good though - the controls work well, and the levels are interesting. It's nice to play every now and then, clearing a few stages each time (which suits on-the-go gaming really well). On the other hand, I didn't have a clue what was going on in that Toy Bot Diaries - and it seemed to be really well reviewed, too.

Pretty spot on, there. The stuff that works well, is fantastic - which makes it all the more satisfying when you discover a gem of a game.

In a way, the amount of dross makes the good stuff shine even more - our expectations are kept at a lower level by the raft of absolute shite. I often try a game out not expecting much, and am pleasantly surprised (indeed, sometimes amazed) when it turns out to be a true belter.

Paulando has got it right.

In many respects it's the simpler games that are better, simply down to the severely limited input system the iPhone has.

Developers need to stop trying to implement full console style games on it (FPSs, racing games, shooters, etc.) which result in visually impressive games that play like total cock.

just wanted to tell you that Skybound is at GDC-sale, so only 0.99 $ now

screen_3.PNG

Other than that, I recommend galcon, Ruben & lullaby and smiles. Testet them here at GDC. quite cool.

Opertoon is quite experimental. it's an animated scene that you interact with. Hard to explain, but worth a try.

just wanted to tell you that Skybound is at GDC-sale, so only 0.99 $ now

screen_3.PNG

Other than that, I recommend galcon, Ruben & lullaby and smiles. Testet them here at GDC. quite cool.

Opertoon is quite experimental. it's an animated scene that you interact with. Hard to explain, but worth a try.

Seriously... the fact that this game was made by someone on the forum is reason enough to buy it... but it is continually loaded up for a few goes, especially when I'm waiting for people. I feel it has some kind of in-built sensor that tells you when someone is coming, because I always seem to beat my previous high score before they arrive. It's scary. Anyway, buy it.

My most played games are Trism, which is stupidly addictive, and Virtual Pool which was great until I got to the A class opponents who never miss. Went through a phase of rinsing Wurdle also, and Sol Solitaire.

A lot of other games Ive played are rendered useless because of the limited control method, such as the football game which looks brilliant but I found totally impossible to play.

FlightPlan is brilliant. Thanks for the heads up Kramer.

Do you mean Flightcontrol? If so, yeah it's brill. I'm crap at it though! Always get to (only!) the mid 30's and it all gets too much.

Keep going back for more though.

Love the great 59p apps.

Although, I've just bought Eliss, which seems cool and Touchgrind, which, at a very brief first go, seems like the best thing ever invented.

Do you mean Flightcontrol? If so, yeah it's brill. I'm crap at it though! Always get to (only!) the mid 30's and it all gets too much.

My record is 119. By this point, I was in a zen like state and had become one with my iphone.