The iOS gaming thread

Scog

To be honest, I think we need to pull more games out of here into their own threads too - this thread moves really fast; it'll be even worse checking it every time it gets bumped only to see posts about games you can't necessarily play.

Nooo! It's great coming to one thread for all this stuff. There will be loads of stuff I miss if it all gets spun out into different threads.

Some newly free games:

Stumble Tumble

Doodle Sky Pro (Top down arena shooter)

Meanwhile (Tap the black circles! Has a cool art style)

Also if anyone missed it while it was free a month or so back, Rage is on sale for 69p.

Edit - Star Dunk Gold is also free, I have absolutely no idea what kind of game it is, but it describes itself as a "Massively Multiplayer Online Basketball" :blink:

Yeah, no need for a separate thread. There are loads of legacy iOS devices these days that can't play the latest games (iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G, older iPod touch models) and nobody moans about that.

Yes, but have people that only own those stopped checking the thread, assuming they won't be able to play much that gets posted?

Genuine question - I mean it's not like I know.

Yes, but have people that only own those stopped checking the thread, assuming they won't be able to play much that gets posted?

Genuine question - I mean it's not like I know.

I wouldn't have thought so - I mean, although there are still plenty of Infinity Blades and Shadowguns and the like released, I'd still stay most of the games that get mentioned in here are perfectly playable on the older devices.

I know my 3GS will be outdated soon enough; when that happens, I like to think I'm savvy enough to check whether a new game will run on it before I buy it.

iCloud adds profile and game save syncing.

http://kotaku.com/5846509/iphone-gaming-gets-cloud-save-and-profile-support

Glory to the many! Now we just need a decent amount of games to get updates to support it.

This is potentially a huge deal. But it's odd that nobody's making much out of the other enormously significant upgrade in the 4S, in the context of gaming:

http://wosland.podgamer.com/?p=11861

I was actually thinking how the voice control feature would be good in games. We may yet get to actually be Deckard using the photosynth machine and doing void comp tests. Would also be interesting in point and click adventures, or games with no visuals at all, and no touch controls - audio and voice only.

I think you're right Stuart bigger storage is going to help massively, as would introducing some kind of Bluetooth pad as standard. By iPad 3 I can easily imagine the latest COD running on it. Just needs proper controls.

To be honest, I think we need to pull more games out of here into their own threads too - this thread moves really fast; it'll be even worse checking it every time it gets bumped only to see posts about games you can't necessarily play.

By this logic you'd have to pull the iPad games out of this thread too, and the iPad thread was only just merged with the iPhone one.

Nothing's stopping anyone giving iPhone games their own threads, and for games like 1000 Heroz or Game Dev Story that happened 'cause there was plenty to discuss. I think if you look back through this thread though there are very few games that have sustained discussion for more than about two pages, and so most games threads would just die in a day.

We might need to create a second thread for iPhone 4S games at this rate, as it's that much more poweful than the iPhone 4 I can't see many devs making games that truly exploit both. From now on it's probably going to be iPhone 4 games (which 4S users can play) and games only for 4S and iPad 2.

I don't think there will be many 4S/iPad2 only games for a while. For 2D stuff the 4 is already quite powerful and it would only be really high-end 3D stuff that wouldn't scale at least one generation. Like, stuff a big step up from Infinity Blade, which few developers can afford to make anyway.

I expect we've seen the last of the technical showcases that'll still run on the 3GS though. :(

Especially with the iPod Touch sticking with A4, I expect that A5-optimised games will be more about higher framerates and graphical shinies than exclusive experiences. Some games are identical between iPhone 4 and iPad 2 except for anti-aliasing, for example.

I was actually thinking how the voice control feature would be good in games. We may yet get to actually be Deckard using the photosynth machine and doing void comp tests. Would also be interesting in point and click adventures, or games with no visuals at all, and no touch controls - audio and voice only.

I think you're right Stuart bigger storage is going to help massively, as would introducing some kind of Bluetooth pad as standard. By iPad 3 I can easily imagine the latest COD running on it. Just needs proper controls.

Voight-Kampff

the Cloud game saving is definitely a game changer as Stu says. Not convinced on voice control in games... I mean Kinect voice control was a bit rubbish and to be honest voice recognition is still not good enough, in fact it doesn't seem much better than when I tried one of those "dictation" programmes about 12 years ago.

Bluetooth pad may well help some genre of games (FPS and TPS are only ones that springs to mind instantly) on IPAD only tho! However, as with icade, its all about how widespread the support is. Best case scenario is a pad that is iCade compatible i.e. make all controllers follow one standard then game makers only have to support one set of protocols... I meant that Atari iCade copy doesnt even use same protocols which is bonkers.

I (well, we) finally released our first free iPhone and iPad app. Called Swarovski Refract, it's lets you make audio visual compositions by creating crystal shapes on screen. Change the shape to change the sample, move the facets around to change the pitch, and move the shapes further apart to change the time delay between each sound. Oh and use headphones!

Also got some hidden unlockable features, to start create your first 10 shapes to unlock the beats feature - that's when things get interesting.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/swarovski-refract/id449941149

swarovski.jpg

I've got a couple more free iPhone games in final stages too, so interested to hear your thoughts!