IGNORED

The iOS gaming thread

Scog

I downloaded Eliss but whilst appearing fine in iTunes it won't sync to my iPhone. The box is ticked in the 'Apps' tab of the iPhone, and I don't get any errors. Any idea what could be wrong? Could it be because I'm on 2.2 (not 2.2.1) ?

Why not try and download it straight to your iPhone?

Also: please upgrade to 2.2.1, Safari is so much better.

Good idea! Presume it won't charge me again as I've already purchased it, right?

Haven't bothered upgrading as am jailbroken and it seems a hassle for little benefit. Will just wait till 3.0 and a shiny new iPhone :D

As for other games, finally decided to give Flight Control a go the other day - great little game for 59p! Very addictive with that just-one-more-go feeling about it. Also tried UniWar thanks to recommendations here. Not bad, and the closest to Advance Wars I've seen yet on the iPhone - just a shame we won't see the real thing as that would be perfect!

Looking forward to Peggle having just bought the 360 version - my first taste of Peggle and I can finally see what the fuss is all about!

:doh:

so the reviews on the app store are either by idiots or Ubisoft employees?

Or more likely - standard iPhone gamers, which is to say 'not us'.

I read toucharcade.com and the forum's helpful and I like keeping up with new releases, but many people on there are not gamers per se, but iPhone gamers.

Reviews on the app store are rather like film reviews on IMDb... either "The best game I've ever played!" or "Worthless, not worth bothering." Even the best games have an average star rating of 2.5, because of all the thousands of people who rated it 1 star for their own dumb reasons.

Reviews on the app store are rather like film reviews on IMDb... either "The best game I've ever played!" or "Worthless, not worth bothering." Even the best games have an average star rating of 2.5, because of all the thousands of people who rated it 1 star for their own dumb reasons.

The App Store is indeed full of retards. I read a one-star review for an app the other week, because it relied on the GPS function in the iPhone 3G. The reviewer had an iPod Touch.

And I've almost given up on hunting down new games on the App Store. There are far too many now, and most of them are shit. I'm fed up of paying money, even as little as 59p, and then just deleting them. The reviews don't help at all, and it's best to just hear about the odd decent title from here. But these sites, Touch Arcade and the like, seem to gush over every other game that gets released on the iPhone.

When you step back and take a look, most of them don't suit the platform at all. Most of them control like shit, look like shit, run the battery down too quick or take too long to load up. It's too easy for just anyone to chuck a game together for it. But if someone does put some time into making a genuinely decent game, it's all to easy for it to get lost in the swarm of 59p fart-simulators.

I have to confess that the iPhone as games platform I find mystifying, but the app store as a channel . . . I think it's fair to say that there's now enough volume in it that the classic problem of mobile gaming has reappeared, that of discovering what the good stuff really is.

My pessimistic concern is it's going to provoke a backlash and put another generation off the medium, which is what happened with a lot of crap in the early J2ME days. You can only try so much tat before you dismiss the idea as a whole.

It's all too easy to make another comparison with the 2600 . . .

As surprising as it may now seem (at least for me - back when the iPhone/Touch was first mooted as a viable gaming format, I didn't buy into the idea at all), the Apps Store is a wonderful digital manifestation of the 8-bit budget games scene. It's 2009, but people are so spoiled by the plethora of lo-cost games on offer there, they're likely to be a bit peeved when something goes on sale for £5.99 (as whoever it was that said so about Scrabble just a few posts back). Granted, the quality of the games on offer vary wildly, but is that really so different from the golden age of Bug-Byte, "Absolutely Brilliant"-era CodeMasters, Zeppelin Games et al?

My current favourite distractions are: Pocket Tanks (an update of classic Amiga PD artiller-fest Scorched Tanks) - iTunes link (£2.99). Player vs player, or player vs CPU, tens shots each, highest score wins. Maddeningly addictive, and well suited to the touch-screen interface, though it'd surely benefit from allowing more than two players per game in a future version.

post-434-1241474638.jpg

Second distraction: Monopoly Here & Now: World Edition - iTunes link (also £2.99). It's Monopoly (with up to four players, and mixture of humans and CPU players), and it's the best non-physical version of it that I've played on any format.

post-434-1241474657.jpg

Fair point. To be really worth £6, it should allow several Scrabulous-style ongoing games between groups of human participants. It'd be the least Hasbro could do after having the people behind Scrabulous sued to death.

But even £6 is a decent price for a solid, incredibly well-presented game that works perfectly on the iPhone, online mode or not.

And there'd be so many cheaters playing, I suspect, it'd just be like playing the computer half the time anyway :( Between friends or other forumites would be nice though. It could always be implemented when the push notifications are here.

As surprising as it may now seem (at least for me - back when the iPhone/Touch was first mooted as a viable gaming format, I didn't buy into the idea at all), the Apps Store is a wonderful digital manifestation of the 8-bit budget games scene. It's 2009, but people are so spoiled by the plethora of lo-cost games on offer there, they're likely to be a bit peeved when something goes on sale for £5.99 (as whoever it was that said so about Scrabble just a few posts back). Granted, the quality of the games on offer vary wildly, but is that really so different from the golden age of Bug-Byte, "Absolutely Brilliant"-era CodeMasters, Zeppelin Games et al?

Not all that surprising seeing as mobile games have fit that description very well for at least the last five years. :(

I was the one who posted about Scrabble. The lack of online (or even email-based play) is unforgivable. I'd happily pay £6 for a decent version.

Fuck, I paid £19.99 for Scrabble on the DS! That wasn't very clever of me. It's really boring without other human players. Also, these versions of Scrabble manage to be less functional than Facebook versions: you can't see a reference of 2-letter words at a glance, or type in words to see if they are in the dictionary. You could argue that these functions made Facebook Scrabble annoying and cheaty, but I miss these features when they are gone. Also, the AI in DS Scrabble is strange, not playing like humans either face-to-face or online.

So that's why I won't pay £5.99 for the iPhone version.

Good idea! Presume it won't charge me again as I've already purchased it, right?

Haven't bothered upgrading as am jailbroken and it seems a hassle for little benefit. Will just wait till 3.0 and a shiny new iPhone :(

As for other games, finally decided to give Flight Control a go the other day - great little game for 59p! Very addictive with that just-one-more-go feeling about it. Also tried UniWar thanks to recommendations here. Not bad, and the closest to Advance Wars I've seen yet on the iPhone - just a shame we won't see the real thing as that would be perfect!

Looking forward to Peggle having just bought the 360 version - my first taste of Peggle and I can finally see what the fuss is all about!

Eliss requires 2.2.1, I'm in the same situation, jailbroken and couldn't be arsed faffing about when 3.0 is around the corner. If you try and download it directly on the phone it won't let you.