IGNORED

The iOS gaming thread

Scog

I tried the free flash version- http://www.newground...tal/view/540694

- which I liked the look of, but I cannot for the life of me work out how to play it. You've got avoid the balls, right? And... make some of the others one bigger or..?

From watching a vid and a brief play of that flash version it seems to be fairly straight forward, you have to hold the mouse pointer (your finger in the iOS version I assume) over the balls so they get larger and the number inside them gets higher. You have to try and get the total number up to 100. So two balls of 55 and 45, or three of 26, 39 and 35, etc. If another ball collides with the one you're making one bigger it's game over, try again.

Looks like as it progresses on it gets trickier when other variations are introduced, obstacle balls you need to pop first, balls moving along fixed paths, pairs of balls joined.

I do like the look of it and quite fancy getting it. But I already have too many games on my iPhone / iPad I've hardly played :(

I'll echo the praise for Hundreds. Great concept, really well-made.

It's great, but I'm stuck on level 41.

Not stuck as in I can't complete it, but when I do, it just skips back to the same level and won't let me progress to 42.

Quick search got no hits, so I best post this here as well:

Just started playing Puzzle & Dragons - A rather odd mash-up of Bejewelled, Pokémon and Dungeon crawling. A complete pain in the arse to get hold of as the distributor Gung-Ho decided it would be a good idea to release the English version into the US Region only. Luckily, a nice chap called Spadge on NeoGAF actually took the time to extract the .apk for everyone to sideload. Everyone's a winner.

It's Free-to-play, although funded by IAP, so it's best to reroll your account if you don't pull something awesome from the Rare Gacha after you complete the tutorial (Hint: if you're on ICS or later, just roll up to your App Settings and hit the Clear Data button).

I forgot to mention it's also available for iOS - You will need to get yourself a US iTunes account in order to download the game, however, unless there's a fancier option that you folks might know of. Rerolling an account when you start also requires some jiggery-pokery as well (According to NeoGAF, you'll need to Jailbreak and use an app called iFunBox, whatever that is).

It's incredibly fun, though. Been playing solidly over the last couple of days!

Quick search got no hits, so I best post this here as well:

I forgot to mention it's also available for iOS - You will need to get yourself a US iTunes account in order to download the game, however, unless there's a fancier option that you folks might know of. Rerolling an account when you start also requires some jiggery-pokery as well (According to NeoGAF, you'll need to Jailbreak and use an app called iFunBox, whatever that is).

It's incredibly fun, though. Been playing solidly over the last couple of days!

Sounds like way too much of a faff to be honest

CjDRf.jpg

SPACECHEM (iPad only)

I bought it after hearing so much about it, did the tutorial... turned it off, WTF. Went back to it a day later, started to understand what's happening... did a bit more, christ, it's brilliant. I'd happily nominate it as the worst intro to a game in history though.

I've done every level of Hundreds except the last one. I can only describe it as "an utter cunt." I'll probably never bother to do it, it's not actually any fun at all. 89 is actually probably my favourite :lol:

Finally managed to do it. Had a look at 100. Fucking hell.

Dunno if anyone's following Jeff Minter on twitter, but these are some of his tweets from the other day.

“To be honest I'm fucking tired of doing some of my best work and getting back next to bugger all. It's crushed the spirit out of me.”

“Some days I just wish I'd done something, *anything* except this, and that's a shit way to feel after you've invested 30 years in something.”

“thanks guys, I do appreciate it, just some days I feel so exhausted and worthless. I just want to feel some joy back in my work life.”

“And I'd love to do more lightsynth stuff but I have no money, no savings, can't afford any kind of real development any more.”

“Lightsynth was a lifework for me, and it's just gone.”

“I need to go outside and hug a sheep.”

:(

Guess iOS isn't working out for him.

To be honest though, he could easily make his games have much more mass appeal but he just sticks with his niche retro gaming and style and I think even as a fan there's only so much you can take.

I lost love for him when he moaned that Space Giraffe hasn't been picked up by the masses. Well, what do you expect when you make wilfully odd games with abrasive art styles?

Loved his work on the C64 though, not as many colours to play with, I guess.

Ah, that's a shame he's down about it and has nothing to show for a life's work - and while I've bought all the iOS Llamasoft games - he must know that it's always a very niche game he is producing in the 21st century.

I work in a school and sometimes children ask me if I play Angry Birds or Temple Run. And that's it. Very, very rarely anything else, maybe Cut The Rope. If I showed them a Llamasoft game, it just wouldn't appeal to them, even on a basic aesthetic level. They would look at me weirdly and wander off. They would do the same, if I showed them Nights, for example, and that's made by a company they've heard of.

Mechanics and scoring wise, if it was highly polished, he might be able to pull off something successful, however not with his style. We're all aware of the idiosyncrasies of the App Store market and what is likely to be popular, he must be too. I love the style, but I'm an 80's arcade gamer, which is very niche nowadays in itself.

Let's be honest - while I think Minotaur Rescue, Minotron 2112, Deflex and Gridrunner are a step above - Goat Up, Caverns of Minos and particularly 5-A-Day, are around the mediocre mark.

If he wants to make some money, he should sit down and have a deep think about what the average joe would buy. Not what he'd play, or you or I, but the general public as a whole, as a wide demographic.

Maybe that's beyond his vision, but, even though they have been his choices, it's pretty sad to think he has so little to show for a life in the game industry.

Ah, that's a shame he's down about it and has nothing to show for a life's work - and while I've bought all the iOS Llamasoft games - he must know that it's always a very niche game he is producing in the 21st century.

I work in a school and sometimes children ask me if I play Angry Birds or Temple Run. And that's it. Very, very rarely anything else, maybe Cut The Rope. If I showed them a Llamasoft game, it just wouldn't appeal to them, even on a basic aesthetic level. They would look at me weirdly and wander off. They would do the same, if I showed them Nights, for example, and that's made by a company they've heard of.

Mechanics and scoring wise, if it was highly polished, he might be able to pull off something successful, however not with his style. We're all aware of the idiosyncrasies of the App Store market and what is likely to be popular, he must be too. I love the style, but I'm an 80's arcade gamer, which is very niche nowadays in itself.

Let's be honest - while I think Minotaur Rescue, Minotron 2112, Deflex and Gridrunner are a step above - Goat Up, Caverns of Minos and particularly 5-A-Day, are around the mediocre mark.

If he wants to make some money, he should sit down and have a deep think about what the average joe would buy. Not what he'd play, or you or I, but the general public as a whole, as a wide demographic.

Maybe that's beyond his vision, but, even though they have been his choices, it's pretty sad to think he has so little to show for a life in the game industry.

Well you've nailed it, haven't you. He is looking at games as an art form, rather than a product.

If you are an artist, you are very lucky indeed if you can make a living, let alone more than a living, from your art. On the other hand, if you put your artistic abilities into product, you will often have a job, and a living...and often a good one. But you won't necessarily get any more satisfaction out of your job than stuffing envelopes.

Sadly, the lot of everyone is that the world owes you nothing for being talented. It's shit, but it's life.