IGNORED

The iOS gaming thread

Scog

I've been enjoying Clash of Heroes over the weekend whilst keeping half an eye on TV sport, but I have had one hard freeze and I think 24 hours must have been added to my game time somehow.

I'm only a few hours in, my save file reckons 174 hours and 23 minutes. Close enough I guess. I tried to play this whilst the tube this morning on my phone - completely unplayable. Such a shame, this game should be a perfect fit for a phone.

Apparently, Gridlee (an unreleased early arcade game) is up on the App Store. Running on MAME... and won't last long there...

On a completely unrelated matter, is there an easy way of finding out which games work in MAME 0.139 that did not work in MAME 0.37b5?

Dungelot is classic roguelike ideals. Play as far as you can get, die and play some more. There's a heavy luck element involved and it gives the grinding purpose with the use of gold to upgrade your characters and dungeon levels to unlock new types.

Tactics wise I've been finding a few basic ones. Always open free squares before you engage in combat. Unless it's trivial the rewards for a complete clear early on in the levels aren't worth it. Slimes are cunts. If you're about to die sell all items that are worth gold. They don't carry over but gold does. You can sell magic items for health. If you get unlucky with your drops and say don't get enough sword increases don't worry. You'll still earned some gold towards an upgrade. Like a regular style roguelike a big portion is just pure luck with the drops. If I encounter a shop fairly early on I tend to drop a couple of 50g on some sword upgrades. Not too much though since gold is far more important for permanent upgrades. I never buy health from the shops but I will blow all my magic items on health if I'm low. There are three allies. The tank who stops you taking the next three hits. When you get him work out which mobs would cause you the most damage and hit them first. If you have the glove magic item that doubles your attack this is a good time to use it. You can sometimes take three mobs in three hits while taking no damage at all. The mage ally will deal fire damage to every mob on the screen. If you spot him try to get as many mobs on the field as possible before you set him off. The priest restores health. Since you have no max health you can activate him as soon as you see him.

Monster arenas to me don't seem worth it unless you have a very large amount of health to spare and I always try to do quests.

Dungelot is classic roguelike ideals. Play as far as you can get, die and play some more. There's a heavy luck element involved and it gives the grinding purpose with the use of gold to upgrade your characters and dungeon levels to unlock new types.

Tactics wise I've been finding a few basic ones. Always open free squares before you engage in combat. Unless it's trivial the rewards for a complete clear early on in the levels aren't worth it. Slimes are cunts. If you're about to die sell all items that are worth gold. They don't carry over but gold does. You can sell magic items for health. If you get unlucky with your drops and say don't get enough sword increases don't worry. You'll still earned some gold towards an upgrade. Like a regular style roguelike a big portion is just pure luck with the drops. If I encounter a shop fairly early on I tend to drop a couple of 50g on some sword upgrades. Not too much though since gold is far more important for permanent upgrades. I never buy health from the shops but I will blow all my magic items on health if I'm low. There are three allies. The tank who stops you taking the next three hits. When you get him work out which mobs would cause you the most damage and hit them first. If you have the glove magic item that doubles your attack this is a good time to use it. You can sometimes take three mobs in three hits while taking no damage at all. The mage ally will deal fire damage to every mob on the screen. If you spot him try to get as many mobs on the field as possible before you set him off. The priest restores health. Since you have no max health you can activate him as soon as you see him.

Monster arenas to me don't seem worth it unless you have a very large amount of health to spare and I always try to do quests.

Thanks Flub will keep all this in mind when I play the game, I notice you can upgrade your character before going into the dungeon but this doesn't upgrade your sword?

One pice of advice from me, is that once you've cleared out a level and have loads of loot to hoover up, don't accidentally hit the stairs :doh:

Thanks Flub will keep all this in mind when I play the game, I notice you can upgrade your character before going into the dungeon but this doesn't upgrade your sword?

One pice of advice from me, is that once you've cleared out a level and have loads of loot to hoover up, don't accidentally hit the stairs :doh:

The far right upgrade for each character (IE the most expensive one) updates all your stats. Including swords.

Apparently, Gridlee (an unreleased early arcade game) is up on the App Store. Running on MAME... and won't last long there...

So I take it we are all aware of this...

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/26/fully-functional-mame-emulator-appears-in-app-store/

I didn't realise until I read that how easy it could be to add other MAME files. Going to give it a try, although I'll probably find that all my ROM files are out of date.

Re: Clash of Heroes - you can pinch to zoom on iPhone during battle! This transforms the game from unplayable to pretty reasonable. You need to pinch in and out to work out what your opponents up to but that's not too painful. Why they don't mention this anywhere in game is beyond me.

L/R controls are arrows on bottom left and right of screen. It has auto acceleration and there's no brake button, there are 2 buttons next to L/R controls for activating weapons and boosts. There are homing missiles! It seems extremely well polished (the devs behind wipeout made it,apparently), races are close and you can easily go from first to last and back again in the space of a lap.

I should say, there are IAP's for the in game currency, but from what I can see they aren't necessary to enjoy the game.