IGNORED

The iOS gaming thread

Scog

The latest version of Tubular Balls is up.

The game now supports Game Center with various leaderboards (we'll probably add challenges later), the 'cleared field' bonus now depends on which line you completed and various other tweaks. We've started working on the iPad version, but decided to first complete the iPhone/iPod edition before making the move. Features to be added are a true tutorial game, better animation/presentation of scores and transfer and skin support.

screen568x568.jpeg

Per usual, the game can be downloaded for free, and for a single lowest tier in-app purchase you can remove the restriction on the amount of games you can play every day. https://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/tubular-balls/id669358918?l=en&mt=8

Has anyone else checked out Empire yet? It's a cool cross between a very basic Civ style game with card / deckbuilding elements for the combat. It seems a little simplistic at first, but I think that it's actually very well tuned and balanced. It's essentially a 'survive as long as you can' type affair, but the well crafted mechanics make it really well suited to iOS. The game was designed by the same guy as 100 Rogues, but I'm enjoying this more than that game at the moment.

Right, you all remember that game that we were (and in some cases still are) all addicted to, Extreme Roadtrip 2? Well they did an update where they added 6 new cars that you could only get by playing a new game of theirs called Pocket Mine.

I thought, what the heck, I'll play it, unlock the cars, and that will be that. Except, now I have unlocked all the cars I'm now totally addicted to Pocket Mine, because it's a fun little nothing that totally scratches the urge to endlessly upgrade with no real point.

The only downside is that it uses the dreaded 'Energy', but that won't affect you until you hit level 12 or so, by which point you will be happy to have a reason to stop playing. But you will have all the Extreme Roadtrip 2 cars, so that's a nice bonus.

Anyway, I'm only telling you drunkards all this because I will get some sweet (and utterly pointless) rewards if I invite people to play Pocket Mine, so anyone on my Gamecentre friends list, prepare to receive an invite. I am truly ashamed...but I'm an addict who must have his fix! :quote:

Is Marvel Puzzle Quest any good? I sunk an ungodly amount of time into Puzzle Quest on the DS, but heard some grumbles that this is on the horrible annoying gouging side of the F2P spectrum.

It's alright, but all the stuff that constantly kept coming up (as in, NEW POWER!, NEW CARD!, NEW GAME MODE!, ENERGY RESTORED, NEW CHARACTER!, like CoD on steroids) was doing my nut in, Puzzle Quest was better.

For an exact copy of a game that was £40 on console, suits touch controls perfectly and is in every important respect identical on iPad? (It's not me negging you by the way).

But like it or not you are judged against your peers on the app store and £13.99 stands out like a sore thumb.

they should have went the whole hogg and brought it down to £4.99, would have dominated the charts for months at that price point I reckon.

But like it or not you are judged against your peers on the app store and £13.99 stands out like a sore thumb.

they should have went the whole hogg and brought it down to £4.99, would have dominated the charts for months at that price point I reckon.

I'm with you. I can't imagine the day I spend over £3.99 on a game to play on the phone(don't have a pad so can't comment), and my normal ceiling is 99p. I don't think twice about instant buys like Frontiers, or King Cashing, and what were they, £2.49 tops?

We're clearly not alone or they wouldn't have dropped it.

Having said all that, I have to admit I just don't have the appetite for big titles with all that production on a phone. Give me King Cashing or Frontiers and Super Hexagon all day.

It's valid to have the opinion it doesn't work alongside its peers.

Looper seems to be implying it's not worth a third of the price of itself because a tablet game can't possibly be.

I'm saying it was utterly overpriced compared to virtually everything else on the market. It didn't even have multiplayer in it's first iteration and was notoriously buggy going by the early reviews. Not that it 'couldn't possibly be' worth it, it just isn't to me.

All that said, it's an amazing conversion. I've got it on Xbox and PS3 and I'd swear it's actually smoother and faster then the PS3 version.

Right, you all remember that game that we were (and in some cases still are) all addicted to, Extreme Roadtrip 2? Well they did an update where they added 6 new cars that you could only get by playing a new game of theirs called Pocket Mine.

I thought, what the heck, I'll play it, unlock the cars, and that will be that. Except, now I have unlocked all the cars I'm now totally addicted to Pocket Mine, because it's a fun little nothing that totally scratches the urge to endlessly upgrade with no real point.

The only downside is that it uses the dreaded 'Energy', but that won't affect you until you hit level 12 or so, by which point you will be happy to have a reason to stop playing. But you will have all the Extreme Roadtrip 2 cars, so that's a nice bonus.

Anyway, I'm only telling you drunkards all this because I will get some sweet (and utterly pointless) rewards if I invite people to play Pocket Mine, so anyone on my Gamecentre friends list, prepare to receive an invite. I am truly ashamed...but I'm an addict who must have his fix! :quote:

I deleted this today. Free at last!