The iOS gaming thread

Scog

All the F2P 'consultants' have said we should be trying to get high rollers to spend thousands of quid. Of course if Nintendo's mobile games (which are going to have a spending cap) prove you don't need to follow this model they'll all say they knew it all along... :rolleyes:

Your F2P implementation could use a bit of work, I feel. The icons for coins and tokens are... minimal. I think there's a reason other games use "gems" and stuff like that as premium currency and it's so it can be immediately seen as different, whereas your icons are just coloured circles and so I couldn't tell you which one was more "valuable." I can barely tell you which one is which.

The game doesn't explain what tokens and coins are for, either, at least not at the start, so I couldn't even tell you based on that and it does nothing to tempt the customer into a purchase.

It's not terribly difficult to work out, really, but you should be making it so much clearer and that makes it easier for people to spend money.

Your F2P implementation could use a bit of work, I feel. The icons for coins and tokens are... minimal. I think there's a reason other games use "gems" and stuff like that as premium currency and it's so it can be immediately seen as different, whereas your icons are just coloured circles and so I couldn't tell you which one was more "valuable." I can barely tell you which one is which.

The game doesn't explain what tokens and coins are for, either, at least not at the start, so I couldn't even tell you based on that and it does nothing to tempt the customer into a purchase.

It's not terribly difficult to work out, really, but you should be making it so much clearer and that makes it easier for people to spend money.

Thanks - always good to have a fresh pair of eyes on something! We've already made some changes to make the currencies clearer (mostly in the store itself), but you're right there's more we could do. Our goal is to avoid anything that assumes the player is already 'game literate', which is tricky at times when we've all been playing games for decades.

Okay, I'm now on 103, which puts me in the top 100 of almost half a million players, so I am pleased with that. No-one on my friends list playing this though! :quote:

123 now...that's 41 in the world!

The key is to chose the paper plane rocket, it's called Miami, makes the background much more agreeable to getting in the zone.

All these games are much of a muchness, it's the level of polish on this one that makes it nice, nothing else really.

I'm not sure how it seems unfair though...but it's definitely harsh! :lol:

Didn't realise Knights of Pen and Paper 2 was out. And it is. It's out. :)

It's also pretty good. It's very similar to the first one. Fresh lick of paint and some streamlining, and the script isn't quite so funny or charming in this one, maybe because they handed it off to a different company to do.

I've really been enjoying it but it's pretty easy so far.

Knights-of-Pen-and-Paper-2.png

I'm playing Skiing Yeti Mountain - havent enjoyed an arcade game as much as this since Ctossy Road. Lovely retro art direction and smooth responsive controls.

One of the developers used to live/work in Nepal and his GF's village got flattened in the quake. So if you buy the IAP to remove ads, that developers share will go to charity.

Has anyone played "Vain Glory", the iOS MOBA type thing?

I picked it up randomly about a week ago, and well, I seem to have sunk hours into it. Essentially, it's League of legends "lite", and by that, I don't mean in the same way that Heroes of the Storm is a light moba. It pretty much has the same aesthetic, characters that wouldn't look out of place in LoL, and about the same complexity as League in terms of the flow of the game, and last hitting. The main differences is that it's 3-on-3 with one lane, and characters have 3 abilities opposed to 4 from most games.

It's bloody competent. I'm not sure exactly what I was expecting going in, but I know I didn't expect to just spend a couple of hours at a time playing it.

Give it a go. It's free to play using the same model as LoL for characters (Free rotation, buy the ones you like with in game money, or real cash).

Touch Arcade seemed to be raving about Desktop Dungeon (ipad only) - never played the pc version but seemed up my street, its a random generated puzzle roguelike with a lot of depth (so they say)

I've just done the tutorial levels and seems quite nice - suspect the £7 price may put off many though.

I played the alpha of that quite a lot when they were developing it so buying this version was a no brainer. It's a lot harder than I remember it being though. Now I'm out of the tutorial I'm having trouble finishing a level. I don't mind the price when you realise how hard they could have gone if they'd made it F2P :)

I have no idea what costate means and I don't care

The best I have managed so far is 128 for Lynches

http://www.gospvg.com/2011/05/words-with-friends-highest-scoring-word.html

On the Words with Friends thread, Boxoctosis got 142 but the evidence has now been deleted.

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/211073-words-with-friends-iphoneipod-touchipad/?p=8116564

We think there may be a certain set of circumstances when rewards aren't getting triggered properly. Sprucing up the twitter and facebook integration is on our todo list so there should be an update soonish.

The daily rewards loop after five days, but the token rewards within the loop are quite generous. (Quite a lot of f2p games do it this way, at least at the more casual end.) The way the games are set up at the moment are to make sure that players get a good idea of the value of tokens to make the call of if they want to buy them or collect the free ones.

We think we've got the balance just about right although we'll keep tweaking it.

All the F2P 'consultants' have said we should be trying to get high rollers to spend thousands of quid. Of course if Nintendo's mobile games (which are going to have a spending cap) prove you don't need to follow this model they'll all say they knew it all along... :rolleyes:

Me and my wife have been pretty addicted to this, however after spending $5 then a further $10 on tokens (both times while on sale), we're still only about 60% complete which feels a bit off to me. Also, has the random free green tokens for completing a puzzle been disabled / removed? Not had any of them for days now.

The sequel to one of my fave mobile games (100000000) came out yesterday, 'You must build a boat'. Played a hour of it, very similar setup but already addicted to it all over again.

You must build a boat, Doc G has started a thread.

http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/286103-you-must-build-a-boat-realtime-match-3-roguelike-iosandroidsteam/

I've not tried it yet.

Me and my wife have been pretty addicted to this, however after spending $5 then a further $10 on tokens (both times while on sale), we're still only about 60% complete which feels a bit off to me. Also, has the random free green tokens for completing a puzzle been disabled / removed? Not had any of them for days now.

I will have a look at the numbers - with the previous games, the $10 token pack was enough to unlock everything (in combination with the various token rewards you get during the game).

This game is a bit bigger (400 puzzles vs 360) but also the free rewards are more generous. Possibly the balance is a bit out somewhere.

The free tokens for completing a puzzle definitely hasn't been removed, we want to give people that option as much as possible (the 'double your reward' video ad option is really popular, as Crossy Road has shown).

We can tweak a lot of the numbers in the game without putting an update through Apple, so keep an eye on it as we do change stuff regularly.

I would give you some exact numbers, but my wife has taken the iPad away with her. But I would estimate we ran out of tokens after buying those two packs on sale with somewhere in the region of 150 puzzles left to solve, maybe more. That's also with tweeting (when it works) and any other freebie / bonus that gets thrown up. Things also slow down once you're fully leveled up, which was probably with less than 50% of the puzzles complete.

Fuck level 94 of Peggle Blast. Fuck it in its stupid face. If it wasn't for the bug allowing infinite lives by hard closing the app before hitting retry I'd have snapped my phone in half. Peggle is still great, but I've failed at that level at least 100 times.