The iOS gaming thread

Scog

Hahah. Thanks - saved me £12!

I bought it, yeah, the virtual buttons are all over the screen, but you can minimise the opacity of them, so they are hardly visible.

I never get on with virtual buttons with IOS games, but they have not seemed to hinder my progress at all. I'm up to the Shinra building where you first meet Red XIII and i cant say they have hampered my enjoyment at all.

Also, the 'turn off battle' button is annoying, but you seem to forget its there a lot of the time, and even though turning off battles seems like a bad idea, in some areas it can be a godsend, when you just want to get to a destination without facing loads of battles.

In all fairness, i absolutely adore FF7, so I am loving the fact that i can play it wherever i want, so i guess it all depends on how much you like the game.

In addition, i have bought quite a few 'console' games for IOS, and never really seemed to get on with them (GTA, SFVI, etc) but i cannot seem to put this down.

If you think the cost is too high, them i suggest getting the free FF portal app, where you can get Triple Triad (FFVIII card game) and FFI for free!!!

Impressed with RTC3 on the iPad Air. Control will take a little getting used to, but so far it moves smoothly and has what appears to be the full RTC3 experience. Maybe when the park has more than a few rides and more people it might slow down.

Sage Solitaire is well worth a look - its a perfect iphone time waster of a game. you have a 3x3 grid of cards and need to make poker hands out of them to remove them (Swords & Poker style). Ultimate aim being to get down to no cards left, the better the hands you make the higher the score you get.

Game is free (with no stupid timers or anything, just the odd ad, but you can pay once to fully unlock a couple of additional modes and go ad free)

Playing LaraCroft Go and it's fantastic.

Yeah, played a fair chunk now and it captures the vibe of the original games so much better than the reboot. You're hunting treasures in temples and jungles, you solve puzzles, you platform (all in that turn based style they used for Hitman GO as well) and you kill animals.

Not the hardest game in the world, but fun, relaxing and gorgeous.

This studio knows what it's doing. Deus Ex GO next please.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm here to do a bit of pimping, hopefully no one minds, our new game MMA Manager came out at the start of the week. The two of us that make up Bit By Bit Games are both big MMA fans and after spending a lot of time over christmas playing Motorsport Manager I was wondering why there wasn't a similar game for MMA, so we decided to build our own.

Here's the blurb from the app store:

Take on the role of a MMA manager in the modern fight business. Manage your gym and build your fight team from the local scene to the heights of managing world champions in the top promotions.

• Recruit fighters from multiple weight classes and hire coaches to train them.
• Negotiate with leagues, book fights, and guide your fighters up the ranks to win titles.
• Manage your fighters’ careers, keep them happy but remember you can always get rid of them.
• Corner fighters and influence key moments in the fight.
• Deal with issues like missing weight, injuries, and PEDs.
• Upgrade and equip your gym with the best equipment to compliment your coaches.
• Fully simulated fighters and leagues that compete against each other as well as your fighters.

(will look better on youtube where it can play at 720p)

We got a piece of FightLand which was really exciting for us, as we're both read a lot of their stuff, and totally unexpected as we hadn't contacted them:

http://fightland.vice.com/blog/new-video-game-lets-you-live-the-life-of-an-mma-manager

And then there’s fight night. Just because MMA Manager features no animation doesn’t mean there’s no action. Remember, the age of online existential entertainment is upon us, which means the mundane is now the thrilling. So there’s always work to be done. When it’s time for a “fight” you’ve got to assess your fighter’s skills and the skills of his opponent and come up with a game plan. You’re the one responsible for giving your guy a pep talk in between rounds. And if his opponent goes for a single-leg takedown and the game offers you the option of responding by either 1) staying up or 2) getting top control, which will you choose? And where will that leave him? And where will that leave you? All those infinite options reduced in a moment to a single click of a button. All life coming down to one tiny decision.

And in the end, to put a fine point on the cruelty of the life you’ve chosen, every one of your fighters will eventually age out of the sport and you’ll have to be the one to break it to them when they do. As the Episcopalians say, in the midst of life we are in death. Which means, manager, putting aside sentiment, throwing your delusions away, and getting on with the demise of the last generation and the recruitment of the next.

Our first update is currently with Apple waiting on review. As well as the usual bug fixes, performance improvements and balance improvement, we've added some new features so you can see your team's fight record and title history, and view an opponent's stats before agreeing to fight them. These are things we talked about but didn't have time to do before submitting version 1, but requests from people playing the game got us to revisit the ideas and get them into version 1.1.

So it's on the App Store for the £1.99. There is IAP but it's completely optional, it's additional money for your team but you can also take out a loan in game (or restart and not make the same mistakes the seconds time around). We weren't originally going to include IAP but did so after talking to Christian West about his experience with Motorsport Manager, and decided to follow his model.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mma-manager/id966161988

And here's some promo codes:

7YJ963E3MNJ9
9H3969A6WKY6
HJTJP39YF3Y9
YJ97PAL6ANNT
6AJ7LHWHHHXF
And just in case their's any Android people reading this, we're working on a version for it and it should be out soon.

Cool, I hope you enjoy it. V1.1 contains some major balance tweaks to the fight simulation, and feels much better than V1 imo. There's also a fix for an infrequent issue where the fight's stats aren't properly taken into account.

I've just seen a review in the U.S. App Store saying it's just a coin flip, it's really not but I can see how V1 can feel like that, hopefully he tried the update. It's been one of the hardest part getting the fight sim balanced nicely so the person who should win does most of the time, but there's still the chance of an outmatched fighter getting the upset. I think we've got the balance right in the update, setting it up so the fighter with the higher stats wins all the time would be simple but that's just not MMA.

Anyone playing Pacman256? (Followup to CrossyRoad)? Had a few goes, works really well.

It's no crossy road.

Pacman256 lacks the moment to moment real granular contact with the game and the swipe mechanic doesn't work as well because the character is constantly moving.

You are interacting instead of acting.

The irony is that they've since put pacman into crossy road and the game mode there is more fun than this!

Cool, I hope you enjoy it. V1.1 contains some major balance tweaks to the fight simulation, and feels much better than V1 imo. There's also a fix for an infrequent issue where the fight's stats aren't properly taken into account.

I've just seen a review in the U.S. App Store saying it's just a coin flip, it's really not but I can see how V1 can feel like that, hopefully he tried the update. It's been one of the hardest part getting the fight sim balanced nicely so the person who should win does most of the time, but there's still the chance of an outmatched fighter getting the upset. I think we've got the balance right in the update, setting it up so the fighter with the higher stats wins all the time would be simple but that's just not MMA.

The update has been passed by Apple and should filter through to the App Store at some point today. It's a big improvement to the fight sim imo.

Next big feature I want in is female fighters.

I bought it this morning, and I'm really enjoying it. But there are a few things that I think could be improved.

I've had a few injured fighters, and have recruited other fighters to take over their spots while they're recovering. But when they're recovered, there's no easy way that I could find to compare them to the other fighters, so that I can tell if I ought to cut the recovered fighter or cut one of the active fighters so that the recovered fighter can get back in the gym.

I can't find an easy way to check on the injured fighters either. I'd like a way to be able to check on how long their recovery still has to go. That would help me to decide whether it's better to sign the replacement fighter up for one fight or one fight's worth of sponsorship.

It's also a bit unfortunate that you have to choose fights or contract lengths immediately. What if I want to bankroll a fighter but don't think he's ready to fight anyone offered to him yet? I should be able to let him keep improving for a few months before choosing to sign a fight contract. Or what if I want to check when other fighters are fighting, so I can theoretically get paid from a fight every month instead of waiting three or four months and then having several fighters fighting all at once?

Having said that, it doesn't seem like you get to choose which event to fight in at all, which is a shame. It seems like you'll definitely be fighting in a specific event, but get to choose your opponent for that event.

But what if I'm an unscrupulous manager and have signed up someone purely to cover a better fighter's injury? I'd rather be able to get the replacement fighter to churn through fights as quickly as possible so that I can maximise the money I make from him before the better fighter recovers and I cut the guy I've just forced to fight four times in five months.

Oh, and I think the reward for watching videos is too high. The videos are only a few seconds each. I can make $100,000 by clicking watch a video a few times. It cheapens the rest of the game, in my opinion. It completely removes any incentive to try to make a profit from managing the gym well, at least in the early stages.

Overall it's great though!

Does it cost money to sign with a different promotion or renegotiate a contract with a fighter? Twice, I've noticed that I've had about ten thousand in the bank, had a fighter move up to another promotion and then ask to renegotiate their contract, after which I'm ten grand in the red.

And when my gym sponsorship contract was over, I picked up another contact for $1500 more than the last one. But my monthly costs say that I'm $1500 worse off now. The money side of this game is either quite broken, or something is happening that I really don't understand.

Thanks for the feedback, I'm actually out the country just now - just started a holiday that was booked last year, good timing, but I've pointed the other half of bit by bit at this thread.

I've had a few injured fighters, and have recruited other fighters to take over their spots while they're recovering. But when they're recovered, there's no easy way that I could find to compare them to the other fighters, so that I can tell if I ought to cut the recovered fighter or cut one of the active fighters so that the recovered fighter can get back in the gym.

Comparing two fighters something we should add, I'd also like it for just for plain recruitment.

I can't find an easy way to check on the injured fighters either. I'd like a way to be able to check on how long their recovery still has to go.

As you've discovered - Recruitment -> Injured tab and click on the fighter to see how many months left.

It's also a bit unfortunate that you have to choose fights or contract lengths immediately. What if I want to bankroll a fighter but don't think he's ready to fight anyone offered to him yet?

You can decline fights, but we never let you have a fighter out of contract as we thought that might be too difficult to track. Maybe we should revisit that.

Having said that, it doesn't seem like you get to choose which event to fight in at all, which is a shame. It seems like you'll definitely be fighting in a specific event, but get to choose your opponent for that event.

The fight offer shows the month the fight will be in, would you rather see the event? Or both I'm guessing.

Booked Fights from the main screen will show you what your fighters are booked in. It might be quite useful to have that information on the fight pick screen, it even just a note on the offer to say you have other fighters on this card.

But what if I'm an unscrupulous manager and have signed up someone purely to cover a better fighter's injury? I'd rather be able to get the replacement fighter to churn through fights as quickly as possible so that I can maximise the money I make from him before the better fighter recovers and I cut the guy I've just forced to fight four times in five months.

Currently time between fights is set by the promotion/league you're fighting for. With local you could fight every month, but that's not going to make much.

Oh, and I think the reward for watching videos is too high. The videos are only a few seconds each. I can make $100,000 by clicking watch a video a few times.

We just upped it from $2500 for this update, because we thought it was too low to encourage clicking - videos should be 20-30 seconds. Can you skip them?

Overall it's great though!

:)

Does it cost money to sign with a different promotion or renegotiate a contract with a fighter? Twice, I've noticed that I've had about ten thousand in the bank, had a fighter move up to another promotion and then ask to renegotiate their contract, after which I'm ten grand in the red.

And when my gym sponsorship contract was over, I picked up another contact for $1500 more than the last one. But my monthly costs say that I'm $1500 worse off now. The money side of this game is either quite broken, or something is happening that I really don't understand.

Negotiating shouldn't cost anything, it can affect your gym rep which in turn affects how much you make from misc gym income, you'd see that reflected in you monthly costs but not your bank balance until you hit end month.

When fighters get near the end of their contracts you can bribe them to stay on, but that doesn't sound like what you're seeing.

There is a known bug with corp sponsorship where it gives you an extra month & tells you in the end month finance screen you didn't receive any money for the last month of the sponsorship, when you do.

If you could take some before & after shots of the finance screen in the month end summary/breakdown, and also the monthly cost breakdown (tap on monthly cost) and pm the to me that would really help track down what's going on.