The iOS gaming thread

Scog

Hi I've finally come out of the blackberry dark ages and have an iPhone 6. I'm looking for a really good rpg to play now and was thinking of either ffvii or when it comes out ffix. I'm wondering how ffvii plays on an iPhone and whether the gaps between saves will be a problem as I'll mainly play on the train to work. Obviously I've completed both way back when and I think I loved ix even more than vii so ix will probably be a deffo purchase either way. Can anyone give me some pointers? Ta

Bloody Star Wars Heros. Free but dear god a pay to play after a few hours of free fun, unless you just dip into it for a few minutes a day.

I quit liked it to start but stupidly started spending a few quid to keep me playing and now I am close to deleting it as unlocking all the extra characters etc will make it a true find-fest or money-pit.

This really is fucked up gaming, hanging off such a popular license. I pity parents who let their kids get near this. Best to return to the beautiful Monument Valley, payed a one off cost and I can relax and play without feeling like I'm gambling (losing real cash for little gameplay or enjoyment).

• 2 weeks later...

Bloody Star Wars Heros. Free but dear god a pay to play after a few hours of free fun, unless you just dip into it for a few minutes a day.

I quit liked it to start but stupidly started spending a few quid to keep me playing and now I am close to deleting it as unlocking all the extra characters etc will make it a true find-fest or money-pit.

This really is fucked up gaming, hanging off such a popular license. I pity parents who let their kids get near this. Best to return to the beautiful Monument Valley, payed a one off cost and I can relax and play without feeling like I'm gambling (losing real cash for little gameplay or enjoyment).

Although Monument Valley is such a one note idea, not even that clever, style over substance.

Crossy Road has more to recommend about it, and the Hipster Whale devs are super guys.

So I've been trying Avengers Academy (SImpsons Tapped out clone I'm told).

It's got a lovely art style - but naff me you hit paywalls constantly (and it keeps giving you quests to buy things or characters for £10+). So easy to lock yourself out behind timers without any hints...and the time/reward scale is all over the place.

Having a RNG(ish?) quest system also means you can be borked it all the quests need the same character - where as in STO you can at least get people to do things for rewards even if they're not the take.

Avengers Academy is by the same devs as Family Guy - Quest for Stuff.

I haven't really seen that paywall, no more than other games and the RNG stuff is at least interesting but yes it does end up with Stark being needed for 5 quests and Loki and Wasp just sitting there.