IGNORED

The iOS gaming thread

Scog

Micro Machines plays quite nicely - seems all the timers are around unlocking build options, car parts and the like - no timers seem to impact your ability to actually race or get a game (very much like the clash royale model)

I'm playing on my phone with a game vice controller and think this helps a lot as needs precision to stay on the tracks

20 hours ago, Hitcher said:

Lost Frontier thread

I'm also at chapter 21 with all characters having 3 starred every chapter before but it is a bitch. The most annoying thing is coming back to at a later time and not knowing how many units you've already lost.

Ah, thanks. Tried searching within this thread but forgot there was another.

Funnily enough I had another crack at this yesterday and actually sailed through L21... then cracked on and did the final three (which were all much easier). Most of mine have been 1 or 2* - not sure I'm going to go back through it all again and try and 3* them like I did with Kingdom Rush et al. May try a few of the challenge mode levels and see what they're about...

Have enjoyed it as a game over all. There could be more strategy and nuances - e.g. rifleman ranges increasing if they're on higher ground and machinery/aircraft needing refuelling/restocking with ammo - but overall it's nicely presented and quite enjoyable.

20 hours ago, Hitcher said:

I've just got 1* chapter 21. The most annoying thing is the allied AI not going for the units you want destroyed.

They also make some odd choices. If you sit back to build an army/posse they just send in the odd medic and the rest of their lot sits by their base. They also don't seem to spend all of their earnings building a better army/posse. Far less sophisticated than advance wars... But that's ok. I'd be upset if that was no longer the greatest in its genre since I remember it so fondly :)

1 hour ago, Toblerone said:

Hero emblems is ace, almost 10 hours of play in two days. Thanks for the heads up.

But god there are some serious difficulty spikes with some bosses....

It requires lot of grinding & I mean a lot !! especially towards to the end few boss fights.

15 minutes ago, Toblerone said:

I've hit a wall and I'm far from the demonic tower...

I generally do not use guides but for this game I did because by not having the highest level emblems & skills it really hinders your progress.

Spoiler below in case you need it, good luck.

17 minutes ago, Toblerone said:

According to your guide, just one out of four for each tier... 

The boss of the Labyrinth is killing me.

I think I focused on all fire attacks on him, sorry yes only one per person until tier 8 & 10.

Also make sure you save your 5 in a row power up till the last boss fight. Playing two of those against each other causes huge amount of damage.

Micro machines is ok, when you actually get a chance to play. The races are quite fun and I really like the battle mode. There is too much interference though from the game, trying to get you to endlessly mod cars and upgrade them. I'd rather have just paid upfront for a slimmed down game which had some of the classic tracks like the breakfast table and the pool table. 

8 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

Micro machines is ok, when you actually get a chance to play. The races are quite fun and I really like the battle mode. There is too much interference though from the game, trying to get you to endlessly mod cars and upgrade them. I'd rather have just paid upfront for a slimmed down game which had some of the classic tracks like the breakfast table and the pool table. 

I deleted it after a few races. There is a good game hidden here, but the interference is so in your face, it's unbearable.

Politaire seems interesting: https://appsto.re/gb/A9uMcb.i

It's a solitaire game where you make poker hands, similar to Video Poker. You can swap upto three cards each round, but you can see the next three cards and have a finite number of cards (one or two decks, basically).

0cd1e9c9_o.jpeg

I've played a couple of games so far and as I say, it's interesting. There's definitely some strategy to find in there, as when you get rid of a card it goes back to the deck to be used again later, so it's all about maximising what you have and avoiding shitty hands (pairs etc). Free with ads too.

• 2 weeks later...

Big Bang Racing is quite nice - its a side on car/bike racer with cartoony graphics and the levels are a combo of straight racers and simple puzzle elements - I'd pitch it as a 2d Modnation Racers

It seems quite ambitious as has user generated content integrated into the game, and single player offline and online races (think the online are stored ghosts rather than in realtime.

Its FTP, usual combo of currency, gems, chests, 3* unlocks etc but the timers don't seem too intrusive as, like clash royale, you can always play a level, just limits the loot you collect.

Its a nice game

I'm loving Big Bang Racing - very nice to play, mix of race and light puzzle levels and loads to do - I'd say there is easily a 20-25m session without hitting FTP walls (and thats if you don't start messing around with the editor), with the usual 3h or so timer in-between. Clever little system to where you can earn in game gems by playing and ranking recently published levels, with the better rated ones then getting integrated into the main game.

Really good game and worth checking out

There is this new game where you go out and find creatures by throwing a ball at them. It's called PokeamanGO or something. Really clever, you actually have this map that relates to your actual area that you live in and the creatures appear in real places near you. Having lots of fun with it.

I'm about to throw my phone and ipad out the window with Severed.  Whoever thought those worm tunnel things that poison you while trying to fight 3 monsters at the same time, one with 'speed' buff on is a needs a right fucking telling.  

Spoiled a game I was really enjoying as well...

• 2 weeks later...

Mars: Mars is a great little platform/endles runner where your little guy has to hop from platform to platform using the limited supply of fuel in his jetpack. The fuel regenerates at each platform but if you miss the platform or come in too fast you die and your corpse stays there as a reminder to try not to die again. There is a score attack element too as your sucessful jumps stack up. You unlock new characters along the way which and can pose for selfies in certain spots too. I've been really enjoying it in five minute pick up and play sessions.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mars-mars/id1108964305?mt=8&v0=WWW-NAUS-ITSTOP100-FREEAPPS&l=en&ign-mpt=uo%3D4

Having played it to death when it first came out (my 'best' PS2 game by some margin for ages even though it was actuallya PS1 game), I've just started Final Fantasy IX all over again on my iphone 6. Its chuffing brilliant :) 

Are there any decent town building / management games? I'm not really sure what I'm looking for, can be single or multiplayer and something that only takes a small amount of attention each day. At the moment I'm playing Tinker Island which has been kinda fun in a play for 30 minutes a day sort of way, however now I have got further in to it, the timers are starting to get ridiculous, which seems to be a trend with these types of games. I briefly tried The Simpsons Tapped Out but it didn't click with me and last night I installed Clash of Clans, so I'll see how that goes. What is the genre even called?