IGNORED

The iOS gaming thread

Scog

Hello! Sorry for the plug post.

We (Flashbulb Games - ex Press Play) have our first iOS title releasing soon-ish. It's the previously Windows exclusive Tentacles: Enter the Mind.

If you'd like a Testflight invite to try the game out (and if you've the time give us some feedback) that'd be lovely! Just send me a PM and I'll likely get back to you on Monday. :)

11 hours ago, beenabadbunny said:

I love Game Dev Story and the Formula 1 one.

I didn't really get on with most of the others after that, mostly because they all seem to involve a lot of base-building. I found it fiddly to place buildings and so on with the touch screen.

The two I mentioned are set in single locations, which I find easier to cope with.

I think most of the Kairo games (and there are LOADS) have a decent demo so you can see how well you get on with them before buying.

He's looking for it for 1 trip so yeah, get Game Dev, the motor racing one and the footbal one and you'll probably not even notice you were ever on a flight.

On 09/09/2016 at 17:03, RB said:

I haven't come close to 48 years since!

I hope they release some new cards soon. I know you unlock more and more as your progress, but when you blast through a dozen games in an hour (it certainly has that 'one more go' pull) you start to see a lot of the stuff over and over. 

Yeah, I burned through a play-through pretty quickly, haven't been back since, even though I still have plenty of goals to tick off.

Think it's a cool idea, and hints at greater potential, but, as you say, could do with a bit more variety to keep the goals interesting. Worth a look, 3 royal crowns out of 5.

I don't know, mine's been at the back of a cupboard for a long while but I'd love the excuse to get it back out again. On a related note, is there a good source of recommended iCade games that is reasonably up to date? I've not checked for a while but it felt like developer support never really got going.

9 hours ago, dataDave said:

Does DoDonPachi Resurrection still work on iOS? If so get that. It's only compatible with v3 of Android. :(

It does, I think, though it's Dodonpachi Max I have on my phone at the moment for some reason (along with Deathsmiles and Espgaluda 2).

TommyG - these are all Cave games, incidentally, and excellent, though they tend to be pretty expensive these days too. Deathsmiles was the first one that popped into my head because I like the aesthetic, and it's a sidescroller, like R-Type (whereas the others tend to scroll vertically), but you can't really go wrong withany of the ones mentioned here.

Like MagicalDrop says, the Raiden games are good too - I have Raiden Legacy, which is really good, I just tend to prefer the Cave games. I have a feeling Raiden Legacy might be a bit cheaper than they are though.

EDIT - just looked into it, seems DDP MAX was developed for phones, and has a worse art style. Have deleted that, putting DDP Resurrection (my original Cave fave) back on.

Also just noticed Deathsmiles now has IAPs, though as it's been a while since I've played I don't know how intrusive they are. Most of the other Cave games don't seem to have them (though I see they are still doing their whole "11 versions of every game" thing), so it's worth looking at what's on there.

What's cooking frenzy like with the IAP's?    My son's playing it and wants something.  I don't usually approve of IAP's but if these guys are being sensible then I'll let him have something since the game is free and he's enjoying it.

On 12/10/2016 at 14:12, rafaqat said:

What's cooking frenzy like with the IAP's?    My son's playing it and wants something.  I don't usually approve of IAP's but if these guys are being sensible then I'll let him have something since the game is free and he's enjoying it.

If s clearly geared to get you hooked and then latter restaurants are pretty fierce on the cost if upgrades, requiring high amounts of gems to do so. 

Personally I'd get him used to the grind of earning them rather than buying them with cash, as you'll end up spending a fortune. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2016 at 12:29, BedroomBusinessman said:

Inkle's 80 Days is on sale for £1.49..

https://appsto.re/gb/Z1Zn1.i

For the this is the best game on the ipad.

You can take your shallow, one trick, monument valley and marvel in this absolute genius of design. A real labour of love. Everyone should embrace this game.

BUY IT.

I'm really enjoying Mini Metro at the moment - think a puzzle game that brings the tube map to life, you start with a map of a location (the rivers being key) and a couple of points to join, then the game keeps throwing more points that need stations, bridges etc and you have to keep the whole thing flowing and passengers moving, within the limitations of the resources you have at any time.

Its not a town building sim, the whole interface and resource management is minimal (as in you have 2 tunnels available and 1 extra train to place)

Also tried the Plants v Zombies card game, which is quite slick but I just can't get into at the moment, played it a few times and its nice, just not got any hooks into me.

48 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I'm really enjoying Mini Metro at the moment - think a puzzle game that brings the tube map to life, you start with a map of a location (the rivers being key) and a couple of points to join, then the game keeps throwing more points that need stations, bridges etc and you have to keep the whole thing flowing and passengers moving, within the limitations of the resources you have at any time.

Its not a town building sim, the whole interface and resource management is minimal (as in you have 2 tunnels available and 1 extra train to place)

Came to post about this. It's properly fantastic. Well worth 4 quid.