IGNORED

The iOS gaming thread

Scog

2 hours ago, Stoikovich said:

Looks like a nice bit of kit.  How do you map the pad buttons to in-game/on-screen buttons?

It only works on games that support it. The games I've tried so far - they are already set up by the developer. No remapping needed. I suspect some games may support this in the menu, however I've only tried a few so far.

Geometry wars is a great example. With the Pad paired to the device (very easy, bluetooth) the tutorial is setup to tell you which buttons to press and when (or which sticks to use). Neon (twin stick shooter) also shows different on screen prompts when the pad is paired.

Sonic 2 - easy! :D

It really is plug and play, I can't wait to get some time with KOTOR again! It's made my iPad feel like a whole different machine. Genuinely excited to use the pad with it. With a Pro it would be superb!

Note: That it isn't quite an Xbox or PS pad quality however it's very, very close. Compared to third party pads of the past it's awesome. I've used a lot and it feels good and reacts well. The Horipad Ultimate is claimed to be better from some, however looking at reviews some people prefer the Nimbus - and the Horipad isn't available in the UK. Glad I got this one, it worked straight out of the box, no charging needed yet either :)

Anyone else playing Ticket To Earth?

It's a turn based strategy game mixed with puzzle elements. You move around a grid on matching tiles to build up powers and use them to attack enemies. It a really cool idea and plays really well too. 

Playing on the iPad and loving what I have tried so far. 

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ticket-to-earth/id1037285648?mt=8

Btw - Bloody EA.

The latest FIFA (FIFA Mobile) has no pad support.

It's all swipes and touch stuff. So pads aren't compatible.

Rather gutted about that, I'd have liked a portable pad based FIFA.

• 2 weeks later...

Really enjoying Retro Soccer, its got all the usual ftp coins, unlocks, cards (which you build your team with) but has a very satisfying swipey gameplay system - I'd usually hate such a thing and initial impressions were it was very hard, but it starts to click and make sense after a couple of games and gives a surprising degree of control once you start flowing slide tackles into thru balls and shots.

Its not a FIFA or PES big console rival of course, but plays a nice game of footy, and the light team/card building stuff is not very complicated and quite fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Couple of nice games out recently

Really enjoying Footy Golf by Donut Games - its got their usual scruffy art style but the core mechanics are very nice, 2d side on golf holes you complete by kicking a football - with the usual 3* and coin bonus mechanisms. Its also got to be one of the least greedy and intrusive free to play games I've seen. Very nice.

Just out today is CATS: Crash Arena Turbo Stars from the  Cut The Rope devs - interesting concept, think simplified 2D vehicle builder from Banjo Nuts & Bolts which you then throw into player v player battles - you don't control the battles directly, rather you have a lot of options to build and enhance your robot that you send it and see how it fares. Only played for 45m or so but it seems pretty good so far

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

We're getting ready to release Kalimba on iOS and we could use a bunch of external people to give the game a play and give us an idea of where we're at stability wise and just give us feedback in general if you have any!

1G9Y3E1.gif

HgvjU5y.gif

If you're interested just fill out this form and you should receive a TestFlight invite within the next few days if all goes to plan. :)

I watched the trailer without sound -- it looks very clear what you can do and explains the game well. Nice one.

Feel free to put your experiences and advice in the mobile game development thread on this board. Would love to hear about your experiences on Kalimba.

2 hours ago, Bojangle said:

Hey guys,

We're getting ready to release Kalimba on iOS and we could use a bunch of external people to give the game a play and give us an idea of where we're at stability wise and just give us feedback in general if you have any!

If you're interested just fill out this form and you should receive a TestFlight invite within the next few days if all goes to plan. :)

Love a go at this, I bought in on Xbox and really liked it, but found it very tough, be interested to see how it translates to touch screen as recall it being a really precise game that needed pinpoint swaps between characters 

I had the same concerns with regards to controls when I started working on the project, but I think we've done as good a job as could be expected with touch screen buttons. Looking forward to see what people think anyway! If you play on iPad we've even managed to get the co-op mode in there. :)

Anyone else playing Mobile Legends: Bang Bang?

It's a MOBA on your phone! And it's free. Clearly ripping off stuff from League Of Legends and Heroes Of The Storm, and that's only a good thing.

I've only just started playing it but I really enjoy it. Matchmaking takes ten seconds, a game takes about ten minutes.

You can make clans (squads?) I think, and there is leaderboard functionality for Game Centre and your Facebook friends, so plenty of room for playing with your mates. If anyone is really into it, and knows what they're doing, maybe we could have a rllmuk clan? :)

https://appsto.re/gb/N3qjfb.i

On 09/05/2017 at 13:42, Bojangle said:

I had the same concerns with regards to controls when I started working on the project, but I think we've done as good a job as could be expected with touch screen buttons. Looking forward to see what people think anyway! If you play on iPad we've even managed to get the co-op mode in there. :)

Just got the email and game thru earlier thanks

Played the first couple of levels and so far its great - I still love the game concept and initially the touch screen buttons are fine, still got my concerns about some of the tougher levels which I recall kick in quite quickly - is it a straight port of have you smoothed out the levels at all to take into account the lesser precision of on screen buttons ?

It's a straight port, the only thing we've done to some levels (the boss ones basically) is reduce some of the killzone sizes as they were throwing out waaaaay too many particles for iOS devices, something we never really had to worry about with the Xbox One and PC version of the game. :)

@Bojangle

couple of points having played a little more

• some of the platforms you can jump on look too much like background, they don't pop out color wise to indicate you can use them
  • it is caning my phone battery, a short go sees 10-15% eaten. I just played 1 level on the loo and it took 10% of my battery ! Also my phone gets very warm playing it, noticeably more so than for any other game (and I play of lot of things like Clash Royale, Golf Clash, CATS)
  • has it got MFI controller support - think it needs that
  • see a lot on touch arcade people like configurable touch buttons, so they can move them or space them out. I got to that bit on level 3 or 4 where you have to drop in parallel, switch units, and it was all a bit fiddle and i died a few times just because of the buttons.
  • seems solid though, not crashed on me at all, only issue I found is being dropped initially into an impossible screen and not level 1, but not seen that again

Thanks a bunch for the feedback guys.

@Fletch Which device are you playing on?

@Gotters The battery is something we've been struggling with throughout development, believe it or not it used to be a lot worse. It's something we're still trying to get to a more reasonable level. We don't have any support for controllers currently but if there's enough demand it's something we could support. I personally would love controls that the player can move, resize etc themselves but there's resistance from others on the team. I'm trying is all I can say!

And yep, that last point you mention is a weird bug we've seen a couple of times where instead of loading the first level it loads the final one!

1 hour ago, Bojangle said:

Thanks a bunch for the feedback guys.

@Fletch Which device are you playing on?

@Gotters The battery is something we've been struggling with throughout development, believe it or not it used to be a lot worse. It's something we're still trying to get to a more reasonable level. We don't have any support for controllers currently but if there's enough demand it's something we could support. I personally would love controls that the player can move, resize etc themselves but there's resistance from others on the team. I'm trying is all I can say!

And yep, that last point you mention is a weird bug we've seen a couple of times where instead of loading the first level it loads the final one!

I'm on an iPhone 6S the text looks like this:

IMG_5549.PNG

On 14/05/2017 at 15:56, disperse and recoagulate said:

Anyone else playing Mobile Legends: Bang Bang?

Just started playing this and it seems pretty good! It does think I'm Albanian due to an unfortunate misclick that I can't correct for another 30 days, but otherwise seems to do a good job of condensing the gist of a MOBA to a form that's more consumable on a mobile device.

Of course, having only just started I'm getting matched against people who have no idea what they're doing whatsoever, so winning all the time may be influencing my impressions - I'm used to getting steam rolled on "real" mobas ;)

Glad you like it. I looked up other mobile MOBA's to see if there was something better out there (this one hardly gets a mention!) but they all look FAAAAR too complicated, even if they weren't on a phone.

I've mostly played vs AI (is "comp stomp" still a phrase that gets used? That's what it was on C&C Generals) while I get used to all the characters. So far the woman with the bow and arrow seems to suit me best. :)

Given it a little more time and Mobile Legends seems to be surprisingly full-featured. Wifi where I am on hols is dreadful, but the game itself seems solid - enjoying "Rafaela" - one of the healing classes - quite a lot. Can see myself playing this for quite some time.

28 days until I can tell it I'm not Albanian.

@Bojangle - played a little more and not got much to add form my previous comments

I think the core game is still great, and is playable on the touchscreen, anybody who wants to get gold totems or perfect levels will though find it a bit frustrating though as I just don't feel touch is precise enough for this type of game.

The bigger problem is the battery - its ruinous for me - I won't ever fire the game up if out of the house as did just now and 1 or 2 levels in a short bog break chews 10% of my battery. I'll be totally honest if I bought a game and it did this to my phone I'd consider asking for a refund via the store, and even if I didn't go the refund route (depends on the price, I'm not asking for 99p back but if its 5 quid I would) I'd definitely delete the app off my phone immediately. 

2 hours ago, Gotters said:

@Bojangle - played a little more and not got much to add form my previous comments

I think the core game is still great, and is playable on the touchscreen, anybody who wants to get gold totems or perfect levels will though find it a bit frustrating though as I just don't feel touch is precise enough for this type of game.

The bigger problem is the battery - its ruinous for me - I won't ever fire the game up if out of the house as did just now and 1 or 2 levels in a short bog break chews 10% of my battery. I'll be totally honest if I bought a game and it did this to my phone I'd consider asking for a refund via the store, and even if I didn't go the refund route (depends on the price, I'm not asking for 99p back but if its 5 quid I would) I'd definitely delete the app off my phone immediately. 

Yep, we're super aware of the drain on battery. We're working on various solutions to lessen the load, one of which is locking the game to 30 fps. Keep an eye on updates being available through TestFlight. I totally agree with you, if it was a game I'd bought I'd essentially just not play it unless I was at home or had a charger readily available. It's probably number 1 on our list of priorities to fix before launch. :)

8 minutes ago, Bojangle said:

Yep, we're super aware of the drain on battery. We're working on various solutions to lessen the load, one of which is locking the game to 30 fps. Keep an eye on updates being available through TestFlight. I totally agree with you, if it was a game I'd bought I'd essentially just not play it unless I was at home or had a charger readily available. It's probably number 1 on our list of priorities to fix before launch. :)

Good to hear - I really like the game so hopefully didn't come across as too 'snipey' before

2 hours ago, Bojangle said:

Out of curiosity, (since I'm releasing a game myself soon too) what other things can cause a game to drain the battery quickly?

6 minutes ago, Jonathan_Kerr said:

Out of curiosity, (since I'm releasing a game myself soon too) what other things can cause a game to drain the battery quickly?

In our experience, and specifically with Kalimba, a lot of it is tied to the shaders and the amount of particles we were throwing out. When the game was made for the Xbox we quite simply didn't need to worry about that, where as certain scenes on the iOS port we've had to go in and drastically cut back the amount. A couple of the boss fights I managed to optimise from having 5 million vertices on screen at once down to ~700k.

Complex games in general are quite a drain on battery life, I mean just look at something like Pokemon Go, simple game but quite a battery drainer. It's why I think the Switch getting 3 hours out of playing something like BotW is a massive achievement. :D