The iOS gaming thread

Another problem with Archero is that once you get to level 3, the game mechanic changes and it’s impossible to progress without some serious grinding.

But of course you can’t grind, because of energy. Your four available games will simply evaporate.

A potentially lovely game that would be worth buying to remove energy, but it’s just designed to be a money sinkhole instead.

26 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Another problem with Archero is that once you get to level 3, the game mechanic changes and it’s impossible to progress without some serious grinding.

But of course you can’t grind, because of energy. Your four available games will simply evaporate.

A potentially lovely game that would be worth buying to remove energy, but it’s just designed to be a money sinkhole instead.

Thats not good news. I finished the first world of 50 levels yesterday and was really enjoying the feeling of progression. I may well be bored with it by the time I get to the third one though.

10 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

Thats not good news. I finished the first world of 50 levels yesterday and was really enjoying the feeling of progression. I may well be bored with it by the time I get to the third one though.

The second level is good, but the third makes you fight waves within the same screen, so unless you are either very powerful or very lucky with first weapon rolls you get rinsed quick.

Of course, you can still grind by going back to the early levels I guess.

2 minutes ago, gospvg said:

I'm still on the first world there is an option at the bottom (2nd one along) that has not unlocked for me just yet? What is that?

The equipment one. It'll unlock when you get an upgrade or some new stuff.

1 minute ago, Vorgot said:

The equipment one. It'll unlock when you get an upgrade or some new stuff.

Cool, thanks I like the game for the quick 3 to 5 minutes bursts. Just got to level 32 in one run, got really lucky with some of the power ups.

On 11/04/2019 at 17:28, Flub said:

What would people recommend as a good Chess game for my devices? Preferably one I can just buy outright. (Honestly. Backgammon games with monthly subscriptions? Really?)

Have you seen Shredder Chess? It's old but good.

• 3 weeks later...
On 03/08/2019 at 11:30, Vorgot said:

I think thats the joy of it, play a run every now and again and the random nature of it keeps it different. Will give Void Tyrant a go as well.

I’m still playing Archero...can’t get past lvl 4! :angry:

17 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I’m still playing Archero...can’t get past lvl 4! :angry:

I'm still on 3 but not played in a while. There goes my afternoon productivity......

EDIT : I lie! Still on 2! So that really is my afternoon shot

I've been really enjoying Archero since it was mentioned in the thread, its a great game.  Hit a wall at level 5 though and it seems I need to grind out earlier levels (did 3 for a while but outgear it now so 4 is the current one I'm working on) for better gear/stats/levels.

Which surprisingly hasn't killed it yet for me, but it is definitely a barrier.  Apparently 7 is a real wall and lots of grinding needed to get past that one.

5 hours ago, TurningMonster said:

I'm stuck on stage 5... Cleared the first hero model last night. The difficulty curve is definitely off, it doesn't need to be as hard (read: grind) as it is.

Unless you look at it purely as a mechanism for selling ‘gems’, and then it’s pitch perfect.

It really is unusual as it’s essentially as rancid and cheating as all those types of games in its sales structure (ie enemy types and layouts ramp up more if you put together powerful builds), and yet the core mechanic is so nice that you feel happy to grind along for the incremental crumbs. 

It’s the first new iOS game I’ve stuck with in years - I’d pay a premium for a flattened gem/energy free version.

On 22/08/2019 at 16:39, MotiVater said:

I've been really enjoying Archero since it was mentioned in the thread, its a great game.  Hit a wall at level 5 though and it seems I need to grind out earlier levels (did 3 for a while but outgear it now so 4 is the current one I'm working on) for better gear/stats/levels.

Which surprisingly hasn't killed it yet for me, but it is definitely a barrier.  Apparently 7 is a real wall and lots of grinding needed to get past that one.

Thanks for this I absolutely love it on your recommendation. It’s like binding of Isaac in a way 

16 minutes ago, El Pibe said:

Can anyone recommend any good top down racers? Super Sprint kinda thing? Looked at Reckless Raving 2 but it says not compatible.

Reckless Racing 3?

I don’t know what phone you have - I have iPhone 8 with iOS 13 and all three Reckless Racing games work.

• 1 month later...

GameClub has just launched. It's a bit like Apple Arcade but with mostly older games from the 'golden age' of iOS gaming.

You pay a fiver a month and get access to a bucket load of games without any IAP or adverts.

What's particularly interesting, and very decent of them, is that they've updated the original apps themselves. That means any of the games that are part of GameClub that you bought when they first came out are now playable again, even if you don't subscribe to the service. You have to click past a bunch of GameClub splash screens the first time you boot it up but otherwise they're fine.

Hook World, Space Miner, Forget.Me.Not and loads more belters are back from the dead and playable on an iPhone XR. The only game that didn't work was Pix'n Love Rush which seems to have disappeared from my purchase list for some reason.

I was on the beta for this so I've played a lot of these and I had no problems with any of them either on my XR or on my iPad Pro.  They issued updates quickly for several of them too.

Whether a bunch of 5-10 year old iOS games is worth the money is a different discussion of course.