The iOS gaming thread

Scog

The Watcher is a bit rough isn't it? As is Ground Effect. Why the designers feel that having no sound (The Watcher) or no meaningful sound effects (Ground Effect) is beyond me. Polish the games a bit more, add some sound, charge £1 or so extra. As it is, they're both off to the deleted pile.

Surprised there aren't more playing Auditorium - it's a nice little game, and has lots of polish as you'd expect from an EA publised title. Two thumbs up for Minisquadron as well, exactly the type of game the iPhone is good at.

I'm surprised you're deleting Ground Effect because there's no engine noise, as the game's brilliant from about level four onwards. The lack of sound's a deliberate decision, too, not a lack of care.

Really? I'd be interested in the justification for that decision. I had noticed that there were some spot effects in there, which makes the lack of engine noise all the more baffling to me. Another (minor but sloppy) oversight is that the vapour trail comes from the centre of the craft rather than the rear. In know it's 59p or whatever, but pay more attention to the details and I don't mind paying significantly more for your game.

Sorry for spamming this twice but is anyone willing to give Bombardiers Guild a go? £1.19 on the store.

I know I'm associated with the development team but I do think it's a good game, and for their first release I'm sure they'll appreciate some feedback :(

236462.jpg

Okay! Played through a few levels. It's very nicely presented and a good game to boot.

However, the icon is absolutely rubbish! Doesn't even appear to be designed by the games artists. Needs updating.

Haven't played the game it's based on, but it's a nice gravity based shooter.

Okay! Played through a few levels. It's very nicely presented and a good game to boot.

However, the icon is absolutely rubbish! Doesn't even appear to be designed by the games artists. Needs updating.

Haven't played the game it's based on, but it's a nice gravity based shooter.

Thanks for playing! It gets better the further in you get, the first set of levels are purposely on the easy side to get you in the flow.

The icon is rather amusingly the biggest issue people have with the game at the moment. It was done by the same guy who did the art but it has received enough critisim that I think they'll have to look at it.

Can I be cheeky and ask that you score it on the app store? It'll show as "No rating" until enough people have scored it :D

I appreciate the time though, will pass on your comments :(

Ok, done it again now. Let me know if you want any hints. My problem was I was fixating on

using the magnet to move the kettle

which was completely unneccesary.

Yeah, managed it myself now cheers. Then breezed through up to level 26, which just had me a little :D for a while, but solved it now.

Really? I'd be interested in the justification for that decision. I had noticed that there were some spot effects in there, which makes the lack of engine noise all the more baffling to me. Another (minor but sloppy) oversight is that the vapour trail comes from the centre of the craft rather than the rear. In know it's 59p or whatever, but pay more attention to the details and I don't mind paying significantly more for your game.

Here's what the developer said about the lack of engine noise.

I find that when I'm playing a game on my iPhone I want either silence or to listen to the iPod. I designed the sound to be kind of minimalist so it isn't too distracting on top of music or podcasts. I really didn't want to put an engine drone over everything.

I mostly play with the sound off entirely, so it doesn't bother me. I'm impressed enough with the technically astounding graphics engine, excellent course design and satisfying handling to ignore the rough edges. (That said, I've never, ever noticed the trails coming from the centre of the craft. It's just not something I'd ever care enough about to notice, I don't think.)

Ok, I stand somewhat corrected on Ground Effect - it's grown on me somewhat, despite it desparately needing some polish. And a least the option of engine noise (and the given explanation is pretty shakey I think). It plays really well. However, not to labour the point, but I'd be willing to pay a premium for game that is polished *and* playable.

On the news front, Rogue Planet has been released. I'm couple of levels in, and it seems to be a good'un. It looks and sounds great, and plays more or less as you'd expect a turn base tactics game to. The range of units seems interesting, and the game systems appear to be reasonably deep. I only concern at this point is that there's only 19 single player missions, which might make the game rather short.

Oh, and I've also bought Pediapedia a game where you have to get to a destination Wiki page from an origin page using as few links as possible. Seems to be a nice little game, 59p and Openfeint enabled.

I've made my first list of "the ten best iPhone games" on www.inverty.com, intending it to be an irregular feature. You can go over there to look at my game screen shots and descriptions (hastily dashed off while the boss was out the office), but the list I ended up with was -

Doom Classic

Call of Duty: World At War: Zombies

Canabalt

Orbital

Minigore

33rd Division

Str8ts

iDrop Dead: Flower Edition

Soosiz

Civilization Revolution

Good call on iDrop Dead though, I love that game.

Was stuck on a plane for ages earlier today (they didn't have a pilot and had to wait for one :P ), got stuck into Ravensword properly. Hadn't been impressed at the start but once you get used to the controls (and fiddle the sensitivity) and stick it into first-person-mode, it really does feel like mini-Oblivion, and it made me wonder a little mournfully what the PSP version of Oblivion would have been like. Spent a nice half hour tramping through the snow, killing bears and wolves for their hides. I'm not a huge fan of the actual mission structure and the map is bordering on useless, but for wandering around and getting into trouble, it's good stuff.

Hmm I'm still really not sure about Ravensword. I find it quite boring, I find all the walking around rather tedious and ill-suited for the format (and battery draining!) The world isn't very immersive and it's all so clunky, too. What is with those animations? Still, don't really want to rag on them as they're two dudes that have achieved something pretty impressive, but I wish the writing and design was more thought out.

Hmm I'm still really not sure about Ravensword. I find it quite boring, I find all the walking around rather tedious and ill-suited for the format (and battery draining!) The world isn't very immersive and it's all so clunky, too. What is with those animations? Still, don't really want to rag on them as they're two dudes that have achieved something pretty impressive, but I wish the writing and design was more thought out.

Yeah, I felt that way too, but something seemed to click when I was playing it earlier. Genuinely enjoyed exploring the areas, ditching most of the mission stuff in favour of seeing what trouble I could get into- I'm sure some of that comes from the novelty factor of seeing something like that on a handheld, but I found myself pretty much glued to it until the inevitable battery death.

Oh yeah, me too.

One of my fave iphone games - but I'm absolute pap at it. Might have made it into the twenties - only two or three times!

I got 33 once :P I think the trick is to strategically stack up the circles then get triple hits when they bound off each other.

NEWSFLASH! Underworlds is officially shit. It has none of the balance of Diablo, runs and controls like a hound and leaves me a very bitter taste.

Dance Dance Revolution S, and Dance Dance Revolution S+... Is there any benefit to the + version? They're both 59p and I don't know which to get. + claims to have three songs (and DLC) versus Ss twenty, so where does the + part come in?

DDRS is the way to go, right?

Well they're both very shit, but if you have to make a decision go with S. The + part is Konami's way of saying "add extra songs!". That's literally it. Oh, + one more thing. The game controls like a dog, is extremely unsensitive with it's touch controls, the songlist for S is dire, the songlist for S+ is even worse with rubbish DLC, plus the Shake mode is the most useless thing in the history of iPod gaming.

I've made my first list of "the ten best iPhone games" on www.inverty.com, intending it to be an irregular feature. You can go over there to look at my game screen shots and descriptions (hastily dashed off while the boss was out the office), but the list I ended up with was -

Doom Classic

Call of Duty: World At War: Zombies

Canabalt

Orbital

Minigore

33rd Division

Str8ts

iDrop Dead: Flower Edition

Soosiz

Civilization Revolution

Interesting list. Not sure what I'd have as a top ten, but the games that have stayed on my phone the longest are;

Rockband

iBlast Moki

I Dig It

Heavy Mach

Motocross Mayhem

Flight Control

Soosiz

Sentinel

iBomber

Wild West Guns