rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
futureshock

Doves

There were a few lukewarm reviews, but none saying it's poor or anything; it scores 76 on Metacritic.

Spaceface is an old rave style track from their days as SubSub. It always goes down an absolute storm too.

I know. I'm just surprised they played it. I have seen them twice I think and they didn't play that. I would have loved it if they did.

They'll be playing "Ain't no love ain't no use" next!

As much as I like the album, Lost Souls is still my favourite Doves album. For me there's nothing here to match Sea Song, The Cedar Room, Rise and a few others. Or There Goes The Fear, of course.

10:03 was my favourite for a quite a few listens, but now I'm leaning more towards The Greatest Denier. There's something quite chilling about it, "Go to sleep citizen, we will wake you when we're done..." - big fan of Spellbound too which just has the most mesmerising guitar hook.

edit. which upon checking I find is totally not the lyrics!

should be:-

I was the greatest denier and I can cut you with a look

clashing in the sun, start a revolution

couldn't sleep since then, wake you up when we're gone

I'm a little surprised by the love for 10:03 - it's probably my least favourite track. I like the bit where it kicks off towards the end though; it reminds me of some stuff by Mew, who I love.

I've always considered them more of a studio band, not at they aren't any good live, but I can't imagine they've regrouped and aren't working on new material.

2 hours ago, Stanley said:

I've always considered them more of a studio band, not at they aren't any good live, but I can't imagine they've regrouped and aren't working on new material.

Interview on 6 this morning with Jimi Goodwin and he says there may be new material next year. Nothing definite so maybe no new album yet but we can hope. They are also supporting Noel Gallagher at Heaton Park as well. Sounding more likely of a tour in 2019.

• Upvote 1

On 05/12/2018 at 12:41, Stanley said:

I’ve seen them live a few times. First time would have been around 2000 and they weren’t great. 

I’ve seen them since then and they’ve been good. 

Yeah they're good but nothing groundbreaking live.  Glastonbury 2005 was a good set but I was really hoping for a new album because everything they've done in the studio has been fantastic.