rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
dan_tm

Fez - Out now on XBLA

I remember when this was first announced, it's still being published by Gremlin Graphics for the ZX Spectrum right?

No, that was a later version. Originally it was for the German Enigma machine.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

A gorgeous bit of footage showing off the game’s inventive 3D stylings, its colourful retro graphics and its stunning day/night cycle. It is wonderful.

:wub:

• Upvote 3

Why? Given that its core mechanic is obscuring 3-dimensional space by compressing it down into a 2D perspective, I don't think that would be an appropriate platform.

probably right

although - from what I've read about it, the problem is that it's simply too hard for the normal human brain. If it was genuinely 3D - it might not be as much of a mindfuck.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

probably right

although - from what I've read about it, the problem is that it's simply too hard for the normal human brain. If it was genuinely 3D - it might not be as much of a mindfuck.

That's like saying "Tetris is too hard, but if you made all the blocks long straight ones, it'd be much easier". Technically correct but utterly pointless.

EDIT: I'm not sure it would be easier, anyway. If the 2D environment is displayed in stereo, your character will be shifting back and forth as you move around, and nothing would line up properly. They'd have to display the 2D parts 2D and only use stereo in the transitions when the camera angle changes, although that would still probably look odd. Stereoscopy is a particularly poor fit for this game. In fact, it's in direct contradiction to its core concept. I can't imagine why you'd suggest the 3DS as a good fit.

I love the look of this game so very much.

I fear my simple mind won't be able to keep up with the puzzles. Manipulating 3D objects on a 2D plane? Echochrome stuffed me with this sort of thing.

Fez, the long-awaited Xbox Live Arcade platformer by independent developer Phil Fish, is finally complete.

A tweet from Fish's Polytron studio last night confirms that the game, which was originally intended to be released in early 2010, has been submitted to Microsoft for certification. While the time a game takes to clear certification varies, Polytron appears to be targeting an April release.

"When we said Fez was coming out in Q2 2012," another tweet reads, "what we really meant was Q1 of Q2 2012."

In October, Fez was named Best In Show at the Indiecade festival in California. Fish, along with Braid developer Jonathan Blow and Super Meat Boy creators Team Meat, stars in Indie Game: The Movie, the TV rights to which have been bought by US network HBO.

- Edge

At last!

There's a massive thread on Gaf about this guy relating to this article.

Surely Polytron are fools for releasing this on XBL, though? Wouldn't it get much better sales on Steam?

“Fez is a console game, not a PC game,” he states, emphatically. “It’s made to be played with a controller, on a couch, on a Saturday morning. To me, that matters; that’s part of the medium.” I get so many comments shouting at me that I’m an idiot for not making a PC version. ‘You’d make so much more money! Can’t you see? Meatboy sold more on Steam!’ Good for them. But this matters more to me than sales or revenue. It’s a console game on a console. End of story.”

Source.

Sounds like a dick. Game looks nice though.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Geez, can't say I understand that attitude at all. You'd think he'd want to get the game to play to a larger audience, regardless of how he feels about making more money.

Playing something on a PC in front of the TV with a controller?! Impossible! Witchcraft! I bought Super Meat Boy on XBLA and PC and use the same controller for both so it's a bit of an odd argument, they made twice the money out of me and I get more choice but I play the game in exactly the same way whatever.

Yep. Pretty gutted actually as I didn't realise it was XBL only till today. My 360 died and I don't intend on replacing it.

Was gonna play the PC version in my boxers on a Saturday morning as well. :(

Given that he's been working on it for over 15 years, I can fully understand why he simply couldn't be arsed with the massive PITA that is PC development.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Why? Given that its core mechanic is obscuring 3-dimensional space by compressing it down into a 2D perspective, I don't think that would be an appropriate platform.

Maybe the 2D bits could be displayed in, well, 2D, and it only goes 3D when you spin. That could be good... or shit.