Zelda: Spirit Tracks Ghost Train Choo Choo

Liquid Myth

I really like this game, but the blowing into the Mic doesnt seem to register half the time...kind of pisses me off. I get there in the end, but I feel like i'm going to faint.

Sounds like there might be something wrong with your mic. I only have to breathe in the direction of mine for it to work.

• 4 weeks later...

Well I just gone with train selection.

You know how you can only see the engines you can buy in silhouette?

Well I was sick of the wood engine I had been using (it looked like something out of the Flintstones) and so scrolling through I thought....hmmmm. Sweet Engine. That will be nice and pimped up.

No. No it isn't.

I now have an engine made out of confectionary.

And the whistle...the whistle sounds like something from the depths of hell, a singing Willy Wonka caphony of tinkling...

I need more treasure and quick.

I only play this when I have to catch the train to work and haven't done that for a couple of weeks or so. When I do go back, I'm in the fire land bit trying to fathom out how to get to a village elder, past some rolling boulders with no obvious path to the bridge I need to use. I have to say though that the ocean land temple was really good (although it seems ages ago now) and the following bit in the temple of spirits (floors 12 to 15?) was superb.

The trogging around in the train though now gets on my tits :mellow:

I only play this when I have to catch the train to work and haven't done that for a couple of weeks or so. When I do go back, I'm in the fire land bit trying to fathom out how to get to a village elder, past some rolling boulders with no obvious path to the bridge I need to use. I have to say though that the ocean land temple was really good (although it seems ages ago now) and the following bit in the temple of spirits (floors 12 to 15?) was superb.

The trogging around in the train though now gets on my tits :mellow:

I got stuck at that bit and consulted an FAQ. You can get past the boulders. You have to squeeze by them.

I got stuck at that bit and consulted an FAQ. You can get past the boulders. You have to squeeze by them.

I can get past them okay but am scratching my head once I do do. There's a light ball I can trigger to release a timed bridge but that bridge is one plateau above me and I don't know how to get up to it. I'm almost certainly missing something bleeding obvious so don't tell me what to do :mellow:

Before I bought the game and read all the comments here about how bad the train riding was etc, I was in denial, thinking it could be no worse than the boat sections from PH, but my god!

The train is absolutely horrific, it's mind numbingly dull.

The annoying thing is, is that the train is putting me off any of the side missions becasue I can't be arsed to travel all the way back to the villages and towns for sidequests.

Even the warp system seems mostly useless.

Please tell me I get a flying train near the end or something.

And nintendo, enough with the identical zelda except with different modes of transport model, give us a proper overworld.

Dungeons are great though kthxbye!

Sadly the train never gets better! The most you can do is upgrade how it looks and how many hearts it has :)

I'm very nearly done with this game. As a huge timewaster I decided to find all the rabbits, which took forever, and now I'm finishing off the challenges in Hyrule Town. The ferrying sidequests are seriously dull, I've finished them all now, sadly you have to do them all to access the secret stations around the world. The secret stations are usually pretty decent, but are they worth the drudgery of the train? Only if you have a lot of time to kill as a car passenger like me I think!

The side-quests and secret areas are made all the more galling because your reward is usually totally useless treasure for spending on train cosmetics, most of which you *still* won't be able to afford even after having accessed all the content in the game! The only alternative is to trade treasure with your mates (good luck with that!), or grind the mini-games or dungeons for more treasure. The train cosmetics are so pointless that there's no incentive to do either of those. It's a real shame as in previous Zeldas at least you won rewards like upgraded items, or more arrows, etc, which helped your progress towards challenges or secret areas. Of course the secret areas are a reward in themselves but it's a bit galling to reach the big chest at the end to get, oh great, another pointless chalice...

I agree with everyone here about the last dungeon, what a horrible pain in the arse. Thankfully the final section of the game is great, very Zelda and epic. Pity there's a lot of tedious replaying if you die though!

Overall despite the deserved negativity we've given this game it's still good, the dungeons make up for its shortcomings in other areas and it's miles ahead of many other DS games. If you ignore all the train stuff and concentrate on the main quest you're bound to have a much more focussed and enjoyable experience. But Nintendo had better sort out this DS spin-off franchise next time round or I'll be skipping it.

I think I agree with you entirely Alan.

The game is good for its dungeons but that's about it.

The last fight is classic Zelda. Expecially liked the two screen Zelda bow shot bit at the very end. Good bit of drama and marvellous music at the end.

But it is probably one the least enjoyed Zeldas I have played. The rewards for mini-quests are almost completely useless... no, ARE completely useless.

I ended up hating the train, all that open space and not a horse to be seen. The villages were mostly boring and the secrets pap. The warp gates useless and the train "upgrades" very poor.

Having Zelda with you was a nice touch though and a theme that I'd not mind being expanded upon, rather have the princess with you than having to rescue her again.

Overall, the use of multi-floor puzzles made the dungeons interesting and fresh even for an old hack like me but it was not enough to raise the Zelda bar.

I'd love to go back to castle town because I'm pretty sure i remember seeing some bombable walls and I've had access to bombs for a while now. But I just cant be fucked to ride all the way there.

It's probably just useless "treasure" anyway right?

I'm trying to remember the last time I hated just travelling around in a game so much.

I'd love to go back to castle town because I'm pretty sure i remember seeing some bombable walls and I've had access to bombs for a while now. But I just cant be fucked to ride all the way there.

It's probably just useless "treasure" anyway right?

I'm trying to remember the last time I hated just travelling around in a game so much.

I just bombed a wall in the Aniki Village and uncovered a lovely little slide the wooden crate on the ice puzzle - just a shame the fucking prize come the finish was 200 rupees!!!

I don't mind the train travel in this but only because of the music that gets into your head and never leaves...

They screwed up the treasure balance for this one though. It's just too tough to find treasure.

The dungeons are perfect though. I'm constantly reaching a point where I almost put the DS down and then the solution hits me. "Surely they don't mean for you to do it like this...." but more often than not it is some slightly left of centre solution.

I just started it yesterday, *despite* all the negativity in this thread. You miserable buggers. :-)

I'm optimistic. Can't be worse than commuting into London by train; at least I get to pull the whistle.*

*Edit: this is not a euphemism.

Almost on rails in fact............. :lol:

:P But of course. What I mean is that in Windwaker or Hourglass you'd probably make the same paths through the land (sea) as the train does but it feels too restrictive.

I take it back about the dungeons. I hate hate hate games where you have to feel around in the bloody dark!

Yeah I disliked that one to start with too. But it does get better.

I take it back about the dungeons. I hate hate hate games where you have to feel around in the bloody dark!

I don't remember having to feel around in the dark. Haven't you

used the boomerang to light the other torches

?

I don't remember having to feel around in the dark. Haven't you

used the boomerang to light the other torches

?

Cleverly enough the part I was trying to get through that definately wasn't the solution.

I almost fogive the designers. It's unfolding slowly. Less forgivable is the long walk up to the top of the tower ever single time...

The dungeons are perfect though. I'm constantly reaching a point where I almost put the DS down and then the solution hits me. "Surely they don't mean for you to do it like this...." but more often than not it is some slightly left of centre solution.

There was one point where the mechanics let me down - I knew exactly what I had to do, but just didn't hit on the correct interaction between stylus and touch screen to get the right effect. I resorted to a FAQ to confirm that what I wanted to do was the right thing. Sure enough, it was, and hinted enough at the right interaction for me to nail it.

The train travel suffered from similar control problems - sometimes you'd want to adjust your view to hit an enemy, only to have the game interpret this as a firing command, preventing you from quickly taking out the target you were trying to line up on in the first place. Was a real pain up in the mountains, when at one point I had three monsters circling the train at once, one of which I really wanted to hit first . . .

So far, the Zelda I have enjoyed the least (although I still have TP shrink-wrapped and waiting for me to dig out my trusty GC).

The fetch and carry quests fail to appeal.

I'm torn on this - the dungeons are superb... and I'm really enjoying the central dungeon, onto the 3rd floor now.

but the overworld is *dull*

the issue here is the technology. Phantom Hourglass managed to get round the limited capabilities by being set in a water world - however, even though the boat may be travelling in lines similar to the train - there's something more restricted about the train which makes it less interesting.