Zelda: Spirit Tracks Ghost Train Choo Choo

Liquid Myth

Fourth Dungeon

Is it just me or are the bosses getting easier with each dungeon now? Again I did this one first go, and there was nothing remotely complex about its attack patterns. Don't get me wrong it was enjoyable enough but lacks any real challenge of some of the Zeldas of yore.

I'm really enjoying but I'm starting to worry that the game is pretty small when compared to previous Zeldas. Are there only five main dungeons? The spirit tower is better in this than the central dungeon of the last DS Zelda but it's still a bit 'lost levels' in terms of design. Ok so it's a handheld Zelda but I'll feel a but short changed if it's over after the next dungeon.

I'm three main dungeons in and the game is really coming into its own now. Even the Spirit Tower has become brilliant. I'm stuck though - anyone further than me could you give me a hint please?

I agree. It starts of rather slow and it wasn't all that involving to me. Certainly not bad, but I never really felt the urge to keep playing. But when I was at my parents this Easter - where I didn't have access to my consoles - I picked it up again and it really improved. The Spirit Tower had some really good design.

That said, the Overworld isn't all that great. It has it moments and certainly isn't devoid of charm, but there aren't exactly that many fun things to do. And while I don't really mind the train sections (I don't seem to grow tired of the music) it isn't all that much fun either. But the dungeons and Spirit Tower certainly proved lots of good moments.

I haven't played this for ages (I haven't taken the train to work for ages) but, having got well into the 4th dungeon/temple, I've come to the conclusion that Nintendo have started to lose 'track' :blink: of their audience. They seem to have got too much of this game wrong I think (eg all of the chuffing train travel) and if they can do that on the DS what's stopping them doing it on the wii too? I agree the dungeons are still good but the rest bores me completely :(

I'm in the Spirit Tower, must be the last section of it now, and without wanting to sound negative it's becoming a little too reliant on box shoving puzzles and teh design has become a bit lazy. Looking foward to the final dungeon and I hope it has a boss which does it justice.

A nice little game but when I've finished I won't be bothering with any of the additional stuff. I've collected loads of treasures during my quest, and quite a few stamps too, but I can't be bothered to go and accept whatever reward it is I'll receive for them.

No fairies either :)

The Spirit Tower was one of the best 'dungeons' in a Zelda game for ages, I thought - especially the last part of it.

Even with all the box shoving? Also, dying in that section is a right pain in the arse because although all the doors you've unlocked etc. maintain their same state, you've still got to go around collecting the three tears again.

Whilst it's still head and shoulders above other games of its kind I would still prefer more proper dungeons, and more items. Stripped to the bone this one.

Even with all the box shoving? Also, dying in that section is a right pain in the arse because although all the doors you've unlocked etc. maintain their same state, you've still got to go around collecting the three tears again.

Er, you don't have to collect tears in the last part of it, I think. Even in the parts where you do, collecting the tears took about a minute, and given that you really shouldn't be dying ... you have got a purple potion, haven't you?

Er, you don't have to collect tears in the last part of it, I think. Even in the parts where you do, collecting the tears took about a minute, and given that you really shouldn't be dying ... you have got a purple potion, haven't you?

I mustn't be in the last bit then, but it takes more than a minute, they're spread over two floors for a start. The problem with potions is that you need to visit a shop to buy them and that just takes too much time.

I mustn't be in the last bit then, but it takes more than a minute, they're spread over two floors for a start. The problem with potions is that you need to visit a shop to buy them and that just takes too much time.

Get the purple potion from the balloon man. But I really didn't die that often at all; I think I only used potions twice through the whole game.

Fucking stupid collect-the-rabbits mini game!

I really enjoyed Phantom Hourglass for what it was - a slightly diluted, portable Zelda. I'm finding Spirit Tracks much more difficult to enjoy though. Main gripe is the overworld - I just don't want to explore it. I'm not excited about uncovering new areas, or visiting old ones with new powers.

Not a fan of the 'loot' stuff either - the treasures. Stuff like that just doesn't belong in a Zelda game if you ask me.

Get the purple potion from the balloon man. But I really didn't die that often at all; I think I only used potions twice through the whole game.

Yeah I know but that involves getting in the train, tracking him down etc. etc. My deaths came mostly from misjudging my jumps onto Zelda when she's a Phantom and ending up in the lava, or thinking I'm still in control of Zelda when it reverts back to Link. All lava related incidents.

Now that I appear to be nearing the end of the game I don't want it to finish. I took some time out just to explore and do a few side quests which is worth it for a relaxing change of pace. Anyway, I'm slightly puzzled by one of the puzzles which I've actually already solved (I think) :-

Desert Temple

The clue showed a map with something like "the key is hidden between 1 & 3" - now I've found a key just by raising all the sand in a nearby area, but what does that clue refer to?

• 1 year later...

Man, finally got around to finishing this one.

The whole train thing does get boring by the time you get to the 4th dungeon (the fire cave), so having to persist all the way to the end really required some endurance. Fortunately the dungeons themselves were alright, and the final battle(s) was truly epic indeed.

Even though Spirit Tracks had some great ideas (eg. I really liked the pan flute, and the possession of the phantoms), it really is one of the weaker entries in the series. Hopefully the next portable (3DS) Zelda game will be a bit better.

• 1 month later...

I abandoned this last night in a kind of rage I don't think I've experienced with a game since I was about 14. In the spirit tower after the fire temple and I had to do some fiddly bullshit surrounded by a pool of lava, with the Zelda freaking out all over the place and not accurately following the paths I've drawn and my health gradually ticking down to the point where I had to collect the cocking tears again.

So frustrating! I had really rather enjoyed parts of this (a lot more than Phantom Hourglass) but I consider both to be pretty shoddy by Zelda standards. I was also playing on a 3DS which meant my hand was in the way each time I had to blow into the microphone.

Think I'm just going to forget about this and pretend it didn't exist. :(

I abandoned this last night in a kind of rage I don't think I've experienced with a game since I was about 14. In the spirit tower after the fire temple and I had to do some fiddly bullshit surrounded by a pool of lava, with the Zelda freaking out all over the place and not accurately following the paths I've drawn and my health gradually ticking down to the point where I had to collect the cocking tears again.

I think I almost gave up during that part too.

It really is the weakest of all Zelda games, although worth sticking with for the fantastic end battle.

Heh. I might have gone back to it with the knowledge that I'm not alone, but I was so irritated with the thing that I took it out of the 3DS, packed it away and stuck it straight into the loft in a period of blind, automated rage. :facepalm:

I am a very silly man.

Better to put it away for a later time (or forever) if it makes you that angry. I have some vague recollection of the flute thing almost making me give up. I did finish it though which I didn't with Phantom Hourglass.

They got the rupee balance completely wrong though and there was no way i was going to try and 100% it with all the different train parts.

• 7 months later...

Finally got around to completing this, it was a chore at the end, just like Phantom Hourglass (which I bailed on after revisiting that temple over and over).

Took me the best part of five months on and off gaming to slog through it. I enjoyed quite a lot of it but have major issues with all the controls being forced on to the touch screen, especially in the midst of a boss battle. Blowing in the mic was a disaster on the bus, with the 3DS XL it seemed too sensitive and just took every noise as me blowing, useless.

Here's hoping whenever a 3DS game appears, it's not just another one of these but with 3D thrown over it.

I'd give up both bollocks for a direct sequel to lttp though.

Seconded, if they'd stick to the toon Link style.

I'd really love another full blown toon Link Zelda game, because as good as Wind Waker was, it felt too unfinished. Even the traditional Zelda structure of two times a series of temples seemed absent. Alas, the yanks are so firmly opposed to it that that will probably never happen :(

Indeed another LTTP or Minish Cap would be ideal, loved them both.

Or update and re-release Oracle of Seasons & Oracle of Ages ?

Man, I'd love a proper 2D Zelda game, they can even use the Phantom Hourglass/Spirit Tracks graphics engine as long as they bring back proper traditional controls and good dungeon / overworld design without these horrible travelling mechanisms or backtrack/repeating dungeons.

Unfortunately the last 3 Zeldas (the 2 DS games and the last Wii game) all suffered from excessive handholding, repeating dungeons and bossfights, backtracking and other annoying chore-like gameplay elements. Maybe I'll play Minish Cap I got in the 3DS ambassor's program over Christmas with salty tears and celebrate it as the last good Zelda game.