Zelda: Spirit Tracks Ghost Train Choo Choo

Liquid Myth

The central dungeon is the exact reason why i stopped playing the previous one. It was annoying to keep having to do the same things to get to the new bit that i just didn't have the patience to do it anymore. It's a shame as i really loved the rest of it. So i'll keep myself updated on this one to check if this has a central dungeon as well. If it does i'm not going to buy this...

A large meh from my end. Not sure to laugh or cry at the concept of Link being a train contuctor.

That, and the fact its looking largely copy and paste of Phantom Hourglass, which I disliked (and didn't even finish, much like Twilight Princess) isn't helping it.

Of course...rock and roll climbing is even worse.

Phantom Hourglass was fucking shit.

Give me OoA/OoS/LttP/LA please.

fucking shit? you have got to be joking.

dont get me wrong i loved LA - its possibly my favorite Zelda. (I did play the other GB ones but cant remmeber much).

But i was generally happy with PH.

To be fair, I'm trolling.

To be honest, I didn't play it for more than a few hours. It just didn't hook me like "proper" 2D Zeldas. I never finished OoT, MM, TWW, or TP either, yet played all the 2D ones from start to glorious finish over and over again.

If you don't like any 3D Zeldas you're a hard person to please. But you'll have to face facts, you're never going to see another top down "proper" 2D Zelda again.

As for this being a retread of Phantom Hourglass as some are saying, let's wait and see. I'm not quite sure what the benefits of travelling by train will be though, unless you can skip the travel parts and go straight to the destination. I too hope they don't do the times dungeon again as in PH. What were they thinking with that? Without it I reckon a lot more people would have played it through to the end. It was tedious and frustrating. The rest was ace though.

So basically PH - timed dungeon + train = ace?

The central dungeon is the exact reason why i stopped playing the previous one. It was annoying to keep having to do the same things to get to the new bit that i just didn't have the patience to do it anymore. It's a shame as i really loved the rest of it. So i'll keep myself updated on this one to check if this has a central dungeon as well. If it does i'm not going to buy this...

You didn't really have to do the same things each time though, because the new items you got inbetween each visit meant you could skip bits out or do them in different, quicker ways.

If you don't like any 3D Zeldas you're a hard person to please. But you'll have to face facts, you're never going to see another top down "proper" 2D Zelda again.

I didn't say I didn't like them (except up there when I was lying ;P). I said they didn't grab me. I played TWW until what I think was the last couple of hours of the game, then got to a stealth section which just made me give up. I've plugged over 100 hours into OoT over the years, but never completed it. I quit Majora's Mask after about 5 hours. Twiglet Princess seemed aces, but after two hours play, for some reason, I stopped playing and never went back.

You didn't really have to do the same things each time though, because the new items you got inbetween each visit meant you could skip bits out or do them in different, quicker ways.

It was memorising the quickest routes, messing up, and ultimately running out of time and having to restart that got annoying. It just wasn't fun no matter how many shortcuts you could take. Why Nintendo. WHY?

It was memorising the quickest routes, messing up, and ultimately running out of time and having to restart that got annoying. It just wasn't fun no matter how many shortcuts you could take. Why Nintendo. WHY?

I had the same experience. Because I'd missed the entire point. You were supposed to draw stuff on the map so you didn't have to memorise anything. As a game design it's really, really clever. I think a lot of seasoned gamers just approached it like a normal game and missed a lot of the point.

My wife got it completely and still raves about the game.

You weren't supposed to memorise the quickest routes, you were supposed to write them on your map
In reality it meant a load of squiggles all over the screen because of the backtracking in some areas. And no matter what kind of postive spin you try put on it, at the end of the day you're repeating the same dungeon over and over again. I just didn't see the fun in it.

In reality it meant a load of squiggles all over the screen because of the backtracking in some areas. And no matter what kind of postive spin you try put on it, at the end of the day you're repeating the same dungeon over and over again. I just didn't see the fun in it.

Except you obviously didn't put the 'sqiggles all over the screen' did you? If you did you wouldn't have been memorizing anything.

Because it didn't grab me. I just felt I could be playing something else and having more fun.

Of all the Zeldas I think Majoras Mask is most the difficult but ultimately the most rewarding. It's pretty unforgiving to begin with though. My one piece of advice to you would be to try it again but stick with it. It's a masterpiece.

I remember now. I had lines where the guards would walk, which way they would be facing and each time you did it you could pretty much skip ahead to the new bit you had to face. I enjoyed it and running out of time or doing the same bit over and over again doesn't really stick in my mind.

I can't wait for this. But each to their own.

Except you obviously didn't put the 'sqiggles all over the screen' did you? If you did you wouldn't have been memorizing anything.

What I mean is that (and it's a while since I played it) I'd draw the best route on the screen but when I retuned to the dungeon I'd confuse myself because the routes would sometimes go back and forth. This is probably down to my poor annotation as much as anything, but I also found it hard to keep things neat and tiday using the stylus and touchscreen. I enjoyed other parts in the game which required drawing on the screen though. I just found this got messy.

Of all the Zeldas I think Majoras Mask is most the difficult but ultimately the most rewarding. It's pretty unforgiving to begin with though. My one piece of advice to you would be to try it again but stick with it. It's a masterpiece.

I didn't find it difficult - I just didn't enjoy it.

Meh Phantom Hourglass. It started off so well but I got crushed with boredom about half-way/75% through or so, mainly due to that shitty repeatfest dungeon. Clever gamedesign or not, I found it boring as hell. I think I've outgrown Zelda or something, a new episode these days seems more like a chore than an exciting new adventure.

To be fair, I'm trolling.

To be honest, I didn't play it for more than a few hours. It just didn't hook me like "proper" 2D Zeldas. I never finished OoT, MM, TWW, or TP either, yet played all the 2D ones from start to glorious finish over and over again.

I didn't say I didn't like them (except up there when I was lying ;P). I said they didn't grab me. I played TWW until what I think was the last couple of hours of the game, then got to a stealth section which just made me give up. I've plugged over 100 hours into OoT over the years, but never completed it. I quit Majora's Mask after about 5 hours. Twiglet Princess seemed aces, but after two hours play, for some reason, I stopped playing and never went back.

Whaaaaaa....??!

Credibility lost.

I would at least go back to Twilight Princess, it is more streamlined than OOT (how could you not finish this?) and the later areas and dungeons are pretty awesome. I never finished Majora either because I felt that I couldn't put enough time in. Still i'm going to remedy that with the GC version.

Hourglass had its flaws but I thought it controlled very well and at least tried some new ideas. One of the better handheld ones after LA.

I would at least go back to Twilight Princess, it is more streamlined than OOT (how could you not finish this?)

I've been very close, several times. Even played Master Quest most of the way through. I just gave up near the end.

I thought the making notes on the map part of PH was clever & really got into it, but maybe this was just me but I found it difficult to write clearly when I was trying to annotate specific parts of the map. I would have arrows, numbers & notes like ''Dig'' or ''Eye'' to help me remember the best routes but making sure they related to where they were pointing too & not becoming a jumbled mess sometimes meant erasing & rewriting them a couple of times.

But maybe that was just me & my sloppy handwriting.

• 6 months later...