Zelda: Spirit Tracks Ghost Train Choo Choo

Liquid Myth

The huge tin made me notice something I hadn't before. The space between the E and L on the Zelda logo is filled in with white. It's the same on the game case, as well as Phantom Hourglass, but it was never previously like that. Have they messed up the Zelda logo and failed to notice in over two years, or is it for another reason?

Anyhoo, I've got me a new biscuit tin now.

The huge tin made me notice something I hadn't before. The space between the E and L on the Zelda logo is filled in with white. It's the same on the game case, as well as Phantom Hourglass, but it was never previously like that.

AUGH it's true! Looks broken now.

I don't really feel they do that too well any more at all. At least in LttP there were helpful but unessential items to find, like the blue cane, but the best you can really hope for in more recent games is a heart piece. More often than not you'll get a big gold rupee or something, and watch it disappear into your already maxed-out and mostly worthless wallet.

Right; that's what makes a game like this, imho. I can see why people might appreciate Zelda games being more focused - why they might want the fat to be trimmed, if you like - but what I loved about LttP and what I love about older adventure games and RPGs and all the extra 'stuff' that is helpful but not essential. You'd want to explore, not only for its own sake, but also because the games were tough enough that you needed whatever you stumbled across. And the nonessentials are what make you feel like you're in another world.

You're right about the money thing in newer Zeldas: it's a actually a major flaw and almost ruins all of them (I mean WW, TP and PH.) It's too often used as a prize, you don't ever need the rupees because you've been getting them nonstop anyway, and the enemies are so easy that you'd never want to buy hearts or anything else. They have become redundant.

I want a harder, more shambolic, more seemingly unfocused Zelda, brimming with characters saying unnecessary things, with places that are helpful (or even unhelpful and just there because the world demands it) but don't need to be visited, and items that you can find if you want but don't need to find. And if a game is harder, having lots of extra and non-essential things works because many players will want to do extra exploring to strengthen themselves against a bigger threat. Does that make any sense?

Is anyone else having difficulty registering the points that come in the box? I enter the code and nothing happens. It doesn't give me a warning like it would if I entered the wrong code, it just doesn't do anything.

I just registered mine with no problems.

I can't do the bloody pipes thing! Got to the part where you have to play the first tune (along with the other guy) and every time I try, he gives me a bollocking and says I'm doing it wrong (which I guess I must be) but I'm blowing when he gives me the signal (by looking at me, I assume) and I've tried blowing the pipes in all different ways (long blast, short blast, etc).

I haven't read the rest of this thread to avoid spoilers, so I don't know if this is a common problem or if I'm just being a retard somehow.

How do I do it?

This is so charming. The graphical style works so well here. The way Link looks at things or people as he walks past is well cool. Facial expressions are great. The bit near the start when Zelda is convincing Link to go up the tower and getting in his face and personal space made me smile from ear to ear.

To the end of the first dungeon, this is lovely but very familiar. The train overworld theme is just brilliant, so I don't mind travelling yet, but I'm hoping there's some hidden tracks to activate or, at least, some places that don't appear on the map until you drive past them. I found the dungeon really easy and pretty much waltzed straight through, but the boss was great fun to fight. I hope the puzzles get harder.

I also really like the blowing! The pipes feel really intuitive to use and - on the DSi at least - the tiniest of breaths from fairly far away are enough to register, I really doubt anyone would notice! Like the first dungeon item too.

Is there any noticeable difference between the DS, Lite and DSi in microphone sensitivity? On the DSi you'd need major emphesema to have issues.

Just finished the Forest Dungeon. Too early to really comment on quality, but i'm having a lot of fun and i loved the boss battle at the end of the fairly straightforward first dungeon. There seems to be a noticeable improvement in production values over PH; the music is outstanding with the overworld theme and the spirit pipes music impressing already and the cut-scenes are really well directed and look very nice.

i would say the same regarding music and direction of cut scenes. It all seems on a different level compared to PH. The music is brilliant, and really varied. I am on the second dungeon where the music appears to be the same as the first, but other than that everywhere you go you hear some new tunes, all really well composed.

The landscape when on the train really is ugly and I feel that the whole aspect of travelling should be cut out altogether. That, or include some other, much more involved, more challenging way of getting around. It is the worst part of the game this far in.

Regarding the pipes, I have only used them 2 times and I love thema nd wish they were used a lot more!!

Just finished Temple 2 and I'm loving it! It's got that Zelda thing that keeps me playing, even though it's hardly any different to what's gone before, which is odd because I've been complaining that Twilight Princess was more of the same. Perhaps I was just going through a rebellious stage and now I've come to my senses.

Just finished Temple 2 and I'm loving it! It's got that Zelda thing that keeps me playing, even though it's hardly any different to what's gone before, which is odd because I've been complaining that Twilight Princess was more of the same. Perhaps I was just going through a rebellious stage and now I've come to my senses.

Yeah TP was charmless in so many ways. It was far to miserable for my liking. OOT had a lovely balance between the darker and lighter aspects and WW also did it very well. The style of this and PH and WW suit Zelda. It just works. It has a sense of adventure and fun.