IGNORED

Modern Warfare 2

letsbook

Okay, can you good players here tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Put me in Quake 3 and whilst I'm not a great player I certainly can maintain mid-table mediocrity with a positive K/D ratio. But here and CoD4 it just doesn't happen. Last game of FFA I had just then I got 1 kill from 15 deaths. Previous round was TDM and I got 1 kill where everyone else on my team got 10+.

My main problem is I can't see the enemy. At this point I should say my eyesight isn't 100% and this may be the problem. 9 times out of 10 I die because I didn't see the person who killed me, plus I can go ages without seeing someone. So I altered my gameplay, stopped running about and listened for the enemy. That worked a bit better but still kept dying.

Actually I'm coming to the conclusion my eyesight isn't good enough, which bothers me because if I could spot people I kow I'd really enjoy the game. It feels good, the guns are great, the feedback from getting a kill is great, really good shotgun in the SPAS-12.

I'm going to fire up Quake Live now.

Okay, can you good players here tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Ignore the main screen and what's happening on it. Never take your eyes off the radar.

The radar tells you where they are, when to expect them on your main screen and if you are really clever press the pause button when you can to show the whole map. Until you learn the maps and learn to use your radar you'll always just be a bullet magnet for those that do.

Okay, can you good players here tell me what I'm doing wrong? (etc)

I'm not a good player, but I would recommend a few things:

1] Pick your modes. If you are playing on your own, go into modes where you will be up against other players who are playing on their own. Mercenary TDM and Free For All are ideal.

2] Learn the maps. It's an obvious one, but an important one. A good way to get started on is in Free For All, one of the most effective strategies in FFA is just to pick a small corner of the map and hold it down. You will learn lines of sight, routes into and out of your "home base" fairly quickly. It will take a while to learn every map on the game, but I think this is the best way of not getting shot all the time.

3] Dont get shot in the back. It's easier said than done, but another good strategy is just to stick to the edges of every map and pick the people who are running around in the middle off. You die so quickly in MW2 that if you are caught out in the open by somebody then there is often not much you can do but die.

4] Love the radar. Whether it's sticking a Heartbeat Sensor on your gun (can be of limited use as Ninja is probably the most popular third perk on the game and it counters the Heartbeat Sensor) or running with a UAV as one of your kill streaks, dont underestimate how powerful the radar can be.

5] Chose your kill streaks accordingly. Yeah, the AC-130 is cool and the Nuke wins the game instantly, but even the best players cant get them all the time. Start off with the low kill streaks, UAV and Counter UAV are much more powerful than they get credit for. Okay, you cant blow anybody up with a UAV, but it certainly helps you get more kills with your gun than you would without it. A counter UAV will keep you alive more than you might think too. If you are dying a lot, try Hardline and UAV. If you do want an easy way to a big killstreak, then Predator > Harrier > Pave Low is a good setup. The Pave Low is incredibly powerful in my opinion.

6] Chose your Perks wisely too. If you are dying all the time, there is no real need to take Scavenger. It's nice not to have to worry about ammo, but Sleight of Hand or Bling will help you win more gun fights. Avoid Scrambler too. Good players can use it as bait for others, but if you arent a good player then as soon as somebody on the other team sees their radar go slightly fuzzy they know there is an enemy nearby. It kinda does the opposite of what you think it should do.

Cheers, lads, food for thought there. I'll definitely be trying the "hold down an area" thing. It's not like camping behind a doorway, but it's more manageable than running about like a loon. The radar will need some more attention. I've not really been using it much apart from wanting to know which direction all the action was.

I shall try them out :D

UMP + Marathon + Lightweight + Ninja (preferably all Pro variants) + low killstreaks. Hug the walls and run the map like a motherfucker. When I'm having a terrible time, I find this noob class always turns things around. Sometimes it's the only thing my connection will allow me to succeed with. Don't automatically assume it's your eyesight that's slowing down your reactions...

PS. Sandy Ravage has made his last video private now. Conclusive proof, if any were needed, of how shockingly bad that commentary was.

Wow. I am losing pretty much every gunfight I am having tonight. I had one round where I got seven, yes seven assists! There were killcams where it looked like I hadn't fired a shot, but I know I had unloaded on the guy. It doesnt bother me when I know I've died to a bloke who has got the drop on me, but when I am losing gunfights again and again and again and again it's incredibly frustrating. I hope it's latency, I am playing over wireless and I have downloaded a serious amount of data today (a 5gb World of Warcraft patch and watched the Man Utd - West Brom and Villa - Chelsea games over t'internet) so I might be getting throttled. It has made me think of buying some homeplugs though. :facepalm:

Update: I spent six quid on some Cat 6 cable. Fuck it, I can live with a bit of wire running tight on the skirting board...

I also decided to have a game with an MP5k, Rapid Fire & Stopping Power too. You cant hit anything more than 20 feet away, such is the recoil, but fuck me, point blank range with this thing is like having a death ray! You wont hold any kind of K/D with it, but for a one off game on a tight map, it's a laugh.

My main problem is I can't see the enemy. At this point I should say my eyesight isn't 100% and this may be the problem. 9 times out of 10 I die because I didn't see the person who killed me, plus I can go ages without seeing someone. So I altered my gameplay, stopped running about and listened for the enemy. That worked a bit better but still kept dying.

I'm not sure if this was covered in the advice already but - if seeing enemies is a problem, it's good to stop moving and crouch when you enter a larger area. Any movement is easier to spot with a quick glance. If you can use the radar too and get in position, so it's the enemy running in with you static (not the other way round), then it should be easier to catch people out.

Also try TDM and watch your team's position to see which sectors it has covered, and which are gaps where the enemy is likely to come from. So you can concentrate on the gaps and have your team cover the rest. Even if your team is just a roaming mob you can work around it.

Way too many snipers on this now. I played some games last night in FFA and it was just snipers running around quick scoping. Annoying little bastards.

i got in a FFA with 7 of the cunts, i couldn't fucking believe it! and they always do that gay quickscope into a 360 spin for the game winning killcam, it's so shit and queer.

i got in a FFA with 7 of the cunts, i couldn't fucking believe it! and they always do that gay quickscope into a 360 spin for the game winning killcam, it's so shit and queer.

I killed one of them 4 times in a row because he was sitting on 1450, respawned very close to me and was determined to get a 720 spin in. The first time, he had got the drop on me and could easily have finished the game. The best part was, I then won the game, the final kill cam showing him out in the open, pirouetting like the idiot he was.

We must have one of them in here as I've had to +1 your post to take it back to 0, ha!

I killed one of them 4 times in a row because he was sitting on 1450, respawned very close to me and was determined to get a 720 spin in. The first time, he had got the drop on me and could easily have finished the game. The best part was, I then won the game, the final kill cam showing him out in the open, pirouetting like the idiot he was.

We must have one of them in here as I've had to +1 your post to take it back to 0, ha!

oh yeah quickscopers are all over the shop, they're my nemesis. they're the one thing that happens to me that makes me have a proper whinge

must have a few of the gays in here! :ph34r:

bumped into a few on invasion who were quick scoping, so i got my marathon lightweight commando class with magnum tactical knife and had a QUICKSCOPER telling me to stop stabbing, i told him to stop quickscoping, i found him in a corner and told him to stop hiding, hid in the other corner behind the fridge thing waiting for him and lunged at him when he came back to which he replies "you're the one hiding, camper" :lol:

with black ops out so soon, i think i might set myself a target of 40,000 overall kills then stop playing - i think i need another 2000 or so. my k/d ratio has gone down .5 so i've stopped caring about that so much - which makes the game alot less stressful

i'm gonna have a few games now infact, i'm in the mood

oh yeah quickscopers are all over the shop, they're my nemesis. they're the one thing that happens to me that makes me have a proper whinge

must have a few of the gays in here! :ph34r:

bumped into a few on invasion who were quick scoping, so i got my marathon lightweight commando class with magnum tactical knife and had a QUICKSCOPER telling me to stop stabbing, i told him to stop quickscoping, i found him in a corner and told him to stop hiding, hid in the other corner behind the fridge thing waiting for him and lunged at him when he came back to which he replies "you're the one hiding, camper" :lol:

with black ops out so soon, i think i might set myself a target of 40,000 overall kills then stop playing - i think i need another 2000 or so. my k/d ratio has gone down .5 so i've stopped caring about that so much - which makes the game alot less stressful

i'm gonna have a few games now infact, i'm in the mood

They ruin MW2 for me, much much more than Rippers. They look so stupid running around in their Ghillie suits. Also, all you can hear in FFA is sniper rifle shot after sniper rifle shot, ruins the atmosphere. I really hate them, it isn't realistic at all to have them running about, so I hope Blck Ops fixes it. Though, they won't want to 'alienate' the fucking lame cunts that play the games will they?

It's abusing the games auto aim feature. You pick a sniper rifle (usually the Intervention, but the Barrett is also good) take Sleight of Hand pro, Stopping Power and run run around like you have a sub machine gun. There is no movement penalty for equipping a sniper rifle in MW2, so you are fast. Whenever you see somebody, press aim down sights and shoot within a fraction of a second of each other and you will usually one hit kill the guy who is in the centre of your screen. I'm fairly sure it would be almost impossible to do if you dont have the aim assist that exists on consoles. I havent played much of the PC version, but in my limited time on it I havent encountered a single quickscoper because the aim assist isnt there to aid them. Perhaps somebody who has more than a couple of hours on PC can add to this.

Ask somebody who quickscopes to explain it and they will try to make you believe that it is a skill on par with being a chess grand master or something. It really isnt.

I'm not sure that making Sleight of Hand pro not affect sniper rifles is the "right" nerf though. I'd just make sniper rifles carry the same movement penalty as LMGs. I might make a concession where a guy with a sniper rifle can run at full speed if he has his secondary equipped, that lends into the shoot > shoot > move > shoot ethos that the sniper is supposed to have (I think) but I guess that might piss off the quickscoping community.

It's abusing the games auto aim feature. You pick a sniper rifle (usually the Intervention, but the Barrett is also good) take Sleight of Hand pro, Stopping Power and run run around like you have a sub machine gun. There is no movement penalty for equipping a sniper rifle in MW2, so you are fast. Whenever you see somebody, press aim down sights and shoot within a fraction of a second of each other and you will usually one hit kill the guy who is in the centre of your screen. I'm fairly sure it would be almost impossible to do if you dont have the aim assist that exists on consoles. I havent played much of the PC version, but in my limited time on it I havent encountered a single quickscoper because the aim assist isnt there to aid them. Perhaps somebody who has more than a couple of hours on PC can add to this.

Ask somebody who quickscopes to explain it and they will try to make you believe that it is a skill on par with being a chess grand master or something. It really isnt.

I'm not sure that making Sleight of Hand pro not affect sniper rifles is the "right" nerf though. I'd just make sniper rifles carry the same movement penalty as LMGs. I might make a concession where a guy with a sniper rifle can run at full speed if he has his secondary equipped, that lends into the shoot > shoot > move > shoot ethos that the sniper is supposed to have (I think) but I guess that might piss off the quickscoping community.

Since I am only level 17 or something, I haven't unlocked cold blooded yet and was getting completely annihilated on FFA on Rust earlier by airstrikes. One of the default classes is a sniper rifle with cold blooded, so equipped that. Tried some no scoping for the hell of it. Now bare in mind I am useless with a SR, I probably have 20 kills total in 10 days of play. Well, in a minute I managed to get about 7 kills. Didn't even need to aim, just pulled the left trigger then the right quickly when someone was in front of me. Seemed pretty easy and hardly an elite skill. No fun whatsoever either, dunno why they bother.

Its sort of possible on PC without auto-aim. I use a .50 cal with acog sometimes, and it is harder to have a good game with it, but it feels so awesome and beefy to be able to blast someone at medium range with that thing whilst moving fast, and still be able to pick them off in the distance. Unlocked fall camo for it a while back, I use it a lot :)

People used to quick scope on CounterStrike way back in the day on PC.

The reason people do it is because you have a less restricted field of view unzoomed and you can move your reticle further and faster. The zoom Is pressed only to ensure the shot is accurate as unzoomed shots will not be. The aiming has already been done.

Te reason people think it is skilful is that you have one shot to hit otherwise you are pretty fucked, you are not using zoom to aim so the target is smaller, the sensitivity is generally pretty high and most obviously you have no reticule onscreen - you have to judge where the exact centre is.

I've always played Hardcore mode pretty much exclusively but decided there might be some fun to be had trying out all those other modes for a bit, it started off ok until I started playing search and destroy, every game is filled with damn quick scopers. You don't seem to get it in hardcore but it seriously ruins the game in normal games modes. /me heads back to hardcore where they dont seem to do it so much, you just have to deal with annoying team killing scrotes.

Whenever you see somebody, press aim down sights and shoot within a fraction of a second of each other and you will usually one hit kill the guy who is in the centre of your screen.

Try that and get back to me if you actually hit anyone. You have to allow the rifle to become fully scoped before you fire otherwise you're trusting to luck. It looks like people fire whilst scoping because of killcam lag. Quick-scoping demands skill, whether it's a worthwhile tactic or not though is up for debate. I'm mystified why it annoys people.