IGNORED

Men in Black 3

Major Britten

If I stare at it long enough will a good poster appear?

I don't know, it looks like a decent teaser poster to me.

I'd have thought that when someone tries something different to the "orange and blue" standard that you all seem to despise so much, you'd at least be slightly appreciative.

Really hope this is a return to form for Sonnenfeld. The Adams Family films, Get Shorty, MiB... all great... even have a soft spot for the Michael J Fox thing- The Concierge-but then there was the quadruple whammy of Wild Wild West, Big Trouble, MiB2 and RV. :(

I was ready to say the same, then I realised Tommy-Lee barely looked a day older than in the original movie. But his years have earned him acting royalty status, even though he's not been at it that much longer than Will Smith. At least in the big leagues.

I think its best not to think. That trailer looked fun, and let me believe it would avoid the traps MIB2 fell into.

• 2 months later...

Has Will Smith forgotten how to deliver dialogue? Also, what's up with his face?

That said, I'll still watch it if only to be creeped out (with shock33) by Josh Brolin's K.

I think the dialogue just comes across as badly written. It feels more like MiB2's style of humour rather than the original's to me... and that's not a good thing. I want it to be good though, so I'll hold judgement for now.

Having just watched MiB2 again, why did they feel the need to change the humour in it to make it so cheesy?

Characters like the ballchinian, who's got a pair of balls for a chin and Rip Torn doing some weird anti-gravity ninja shit. It just completely misses in pretty much all of its comedy, where the original nailed it perfectly.

I really hope this new one is a return to the style of the original.

• 2 months later...

No-one seen this then? I went in with low expectations and really enjoyed it. I haven't seen MiB since it's original theatrical release when I was about 16 and never saw the sequel so didn't have a lot beyond hazy schoolboy memories about the series but it was a very easy 2 hours of entertainment.

There's an awful lot wrong with it, but somehow it just about works. Tommy Lee Jones (who's hardly in the film) looks like he'd rather be any where else, going through the motions completely, but Brolin is excellent as the young Agent K - really takes on Jones' persona. Will Smith is Will Smith, but most of his jokes fall a bit flat. An unrecognisable Jermaine Clement makes a superb big bad, very much larger than life. Will Arnett unexpectedly appears too for about 30 seconds too.

With the time travel conceit, the plot doesn't really make a huge deal of sense and it's very scrappy and messy; it doesn't gel very well together, the special effects are very poor for a major film and the script is all over the place. The 60s setting isn't really exploited to the full - there's a couple of references to race and some jokes about the NYC Art Scene but essentially it picks up as if in the present day.

It's an odd one for sure and the more I think about it the more I can pick it apart but go along with it and there's a lot of fun to be had.