Six Days in Fallujah

I just, last night, finished watching the 7-part HBO miniseries Generation Kill. Perhaps that's colouring my interest in the game (since it was fantastic TV). I dunno - this is risky I think, but I'm hoping it can be pulled off maturely and with a level integrity and respect to the circumstances. I expect it to be quite a sobering experience as opposed to a 'fun' one.

The battle for Fallujah was completly different to the initial invasion, there are a good 10 or so book around going into detail about the battle...

I know that and I wasn't likening the events in Generation Kill dierectly to those in Fallujah. I was just saying that me having just watched G.K. could be the reason I'm more interested in this game than I would normally expect myself to be.

I read a number of the PR articles on this yesterday and one thing I noticed was that Anthony Crouts, the Konami marketing dude, was always cautious with what we can expect from the game, whereas Peter Tamte himself is far more frank about what kind of direction the content will take. For example, civilians will almost certainly play a part in the gameplay unless the media or Konami execs rock the boat. One of many examples hinting towards this:

One of the most difficult choices facing troops in Iraq today is identifying civilians from insurgents. These choices are often made under fire, in split seconds. Sometimes, the combatant makes the wrong decision. As a result, the military has prosecuted a number of troops, including a Marine who is charged with murdering an unarmed captive rather than take the time to bring him back to a prison. But many choices, both in the game and in real life, aren't as cut and dry. What if a woman is running toward you at full speed, and you tell her to stop but she doesn't?

"Our opportunity for giving people insight goes up dramatically when we can present people with the dilemmas and the choices that faced these soldiers," Tamte said. "It's a chance to really give them a better understanding and empathy."

Source.

This should be interesting.

I get the feeling the developers' intentions are good. I do worry that they might not be up to the job and are just going to deliver a straightforward shooter styled after Generation Kill, in the same way most of the WW2 games lifted the look of Saving Private Ryan and Band of Brothers while contradicting the message of those stories.

I also worry that Konami will pressure them into censoring it. (Nothing to do with Konami specifically, but any big publisher is going to be antsy about getting bad publicity and running into difficulty with retailers like Walmart.)

Not all games glorify war to the ludicrous, sanitised extent of Call of Duty. Operation Flashpoint for instance. The more realistic (in terms of brutal, uncaring difficulty) you can make a war game the more justified it is. If you're just running around like Rambo with regenerating health, that's fun, but it would be crass and stupid to say that it's a serious commentary on a real life conflict.

It's going to be a watershed moment when we have a game in which American soldiers fuck things up.

It's going to be a watershed moment when we have a game in which American soldiers fuck things up.

The problem with Fallujah is that the guys on the gorund did a pretty good job, it was the generals up above who screwed it up by essentially calling a halt to the opperation just as it was about to succeed in it's aims and rid Fallujah of the foreign Insurgents.

Still, if they manage to put the "house of death" in there it shoudl be a fairly exciting game...

• 3 weeks later...

Konami disown Six Days In Fallujah.

http://kotaku.com/5229129/konami-pulls-con...-iraqi-war-game

Well, that didn't take long. Following some heavy, initial criticism of their title "Six Days in Fallujah", Japanese publishers Konami have decided not to release it.

"After seeing the reaction to the videogame in the United States and hearing opinions sent through phone calls and e-mail, we decided several days ago not to sell it" a Konami spokesperson told Japanese news site Asahi.

Whether this means the game has been scrapped entirely, or whether developers Atomic Games can shop it around to another publisher that has the balls to release it, is unknown.

Under criticism, Konami ditches realistic "Fallujah" videogame [Asahi, via VG247]

Hmm. I don't know enough about all this to really comment on it...

Konami disown Six Days In Fallujah.

http://kotaku.com/5229129/konami-pulls-con...-iraqi-war-game

Hmm. I don't know enough about all this to really comment on it...

I think lot's of people will be like 'Oh see!!! You can't do this!!! We were right!!'. I sort of agree but part of me feels a bit saddened at the idea that there are barriers over what type of games you can create. I DO think it's possible to make a game like this or one based on 9/11 etc that is a seriously thought out decent title. It's clear now that 6 days in Fallujah wasn't that game.

Konami just got cold feet over the uproar, it doesn't really reflect on wether this game was just an exploitative entertainment product or something more meaningful. The developer's previous work was serious military sims for the army, they could have been making a genuine effort.

• 1 month later...

Can't see either of those two picking it up, to be honest. Midway were on the ropes a few months back and I doubt they would want to risk what could be a high profile flop, and Eidos has been bought by SquareEnix, who I can't see being interested in bank-rolling a real-world military shooter which Konami has just disowned. I'd say it's more likely someone like EA or MS will jump in and help, but with a proviso that they sanitise it somewhat (can't imagine how you can really dilute the content without just tearing the whole context out really, but hey, I'm just talking here).

I reckon it'll come out in some form - even if they remove the real world setting, the tech behind it will be used.

Hope this game pulls through some how or in some form. I can understand where people are coming from on criticising it but it would be a shame to see all that work go to waste.

They're idiots for giving it such an obviously inflammatory title. Call it 'Dust Bowl Showdown' and set it in Iranistan and they wouldn't have had a problem. They knew the title was offensive and gambled on it getting them free publicity. They lost the gamble.

• 11 years later...

Finally - a game where Americans shoot brown people in the Middle East! 

I dunno about the other Bungie guys, but Marty O’Donnell is pretty right wing so I can see why the project would appeal to him. 

3 minutes ago, barkbat said:

Christ this is so crass. Turning a war crime into entertainment is just beyond sick.

To be fair, it's possible to pull it off, This War of Mine is loosely based on the yugoslav civil war and works well at what it sets out to do. 

Maybe this will be good but explicitly reviving the infamously cancelled original seems to be provocative enough that I'd have little faith. 

An FPS game about American soldiers by ex-Bungie developers is not going to be anything other than a crass glorification and white washing of a war crime. It's verging on a disinformation campaign and would certainly be called it if any other country tried to portray the mass murder of civilians using illegal chemical weapons and nuclear tipped shells by its own soldiers in this way. You should have no faith whatsoever and just be plain disgusted. It's fucking vile.

Fucking hell!

HarsinSoft is proud to announce our new game. Nine Night is Auschwitz. A pulse pounding shooter with stealth elements. Too many Holocaust stories focus on the politics of the time and the pain and suffering of the victims and not enough pay attention to dual wielding machine guns and taking advantage of the waist high cover that was in the camps.

4 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Fucking hell!

HarsinSoft is proud to announce our new game. Nine Night is Auschwitz. A pulse pounding shooter with stealth elements. Too many Holocaust stories focus on the politics of the time and the pain and suffering of the victims and not enough pay attention to dual wielding machine guns and taking advantage of the waist high cover that was in the camps.

With an exciting asymmetric multiplayer mode inspire by Left 4 Dead where you play as the camp guards. Understand the humans and the tactical decisions they had to make. 

Christ, that GamesIndustry.biz interview. I think my 'highlight' is this:

Tamte is unconvinced: "Very few people are curious what it's like to be an Iraqi civilian. Nobody's going to play that game. But people are curious what it's like to be in combat. It's the same reason people play survival horror games -- being in a situation that is beyond what we have in our normal lives.

Which, even ignoring the grossness "why would anyone care about being an Iraqi civilian" attitude, is just embarrassing for the lack of imagination on display. He even accidentally demonstrates exactly how that design could work - I can think of few situations "beyond what I have in my normal [life]", few that strike me as more appropriate for very specifically a survival horror game, than being an Iraqi civilian in Fallujah.

The Polygon article is also up there on the "Am I Really Reading This?" scale.

Only the most non-political of games flirt with recent war crimes!

Edit: I of course somehow missed deerokus talking about it

2 hours ago, deerokus said:

Rami Ismail (made Luftrausers and stuff like that) has an excellent twitter thread on this.