Hitman: Absolution - the craggy thread

Mr. Gerbik

I absolutely despise stealth games. However you guys have got me on the verge of buying Blood Money. Which is ironic in an Absolution thread.

Well it's not really a stealth game. You can play it like that if you want, but you can also complete the game just running around shooting everyone without ever hiding (I personally wouldn't enjoy it like that but some do). The "A New Life" mission in Blood Money is a good example and was already mentioned. You can start the mission, walk up the street, aim through the window and just practically do a drive by on him. You can also infiltrate the house disguised as a clown and place a bomb next to him. Or disguised as an FBI guy and shoot him in his office. Or walk around as the pool cleaner. Or shoot from a tree house. Or any combination of that. There's no stealth needed really. Obviously if you want Silent Assassin ratings then stealth is likely involved, but that's up to you. You don't have to even aim for Silent Assassin ratings, it's completely up to you.

Some of the fun missions were when things would fuck up half way through the mission and you had to react and improvise on the spot. The only thing more satisfying than a perfectly executed mission was a mission that went tits up and you recovered without going on a crazy killing spree.

I went back to the old thread and dug up my A New Life hit. It's mind boggling how many different ways you could complete this one level. You can complete the level successfully without doing a single thing that I did.

Hmm, I did the New Life level on my second go, first "proper" go as the first time I just started a shoot out when I got to the house and promptly died. I had no idea of the layout of the house. It worked out quite well and it was very thrilling to just react to each situation.:

- I walked along the path on the opposite side of the road to observe the house and noticed the catering guy going from the van into the hoouse. Assuming he would return to the van, I crossed the road and waited near the van.

- When the catering guy returned I sedated him, took his clothes and chucked him down a manhole.

- Put my silenced Silverballer in a catering case, picked up the case and walked up to the front door.

- Got searched but the Silverballer wasn't found and I was allowed into the house. I walked in a straight line and ended up in the kitchen. Catering guy, in a kitchen, that's not suspicious at all, so I just waited there and observed what everybody was up to.

- Saw some drunk woman stagger into the kitchen and take a drink from a bottle. Took a mental note of that.

- Once the coast was clear, I decided it was time to look for the microfilm. I snuck upstairs, avoided the guards and started to search the rooms.

- Still not finding the microfilm there was one room left, the study. Went in there, saw the computer, searched around the room a bit and then heard the door opening. "Oh shit!" I thought. I hid in the alcove in the corner of the room.

- Peaked round the corner and noticed my target was in the room with me, standing between me and the exit. I knew there were guards outside, so I had to make a decision... I decided to approach him.

- The target looked in my direction. He had enough time to realise there was a man pointing a gun at him before I sent a single shot into his head. He slumped over the computer and slid to the floor.

- I searched him but no microfilm. Damn. I'm now stuck in a room with a corpse and the FBI is right outside the door. Before I can do much else the door begins to open. I hide in my alcove and watch as an FBI agent walks up to the corpse and says "Are you ok?". He kneels down next to the corpse and begins to check for signs of life. "Wrong place at the wrong time my friend" I thought to myself and shot the agent in the back of the head. I took his clothes and dragged the bodies to the alcove.

- Dressed as an FBI agent I opened the door to the study and walked out. Other agents didn't react to me, just a few supsicious looks.

- I went back downstairs and remembered the woman taking a drink from a bottle. Could she have the microfilm? Closer examination showed she was wearing a piece of jewelry, and the brief said the microfilm was hidden in some jewelry.

- I poisoned the bottle she would eventually drink from and just waited. She took a sip, groaned in pain and fell to the floor. The kitchen swarmed with FBI agents, but they didn't find me supicious. Still, I couldn't search the body with them in the room... what could I do?

- Eventually the agents body bagged her, and I was starting to worry the microfilm would be lost. I followed the agent who was taking her body bagged body and noted where he stashed it.

- As soon as he went away I searched the body and found the microfilm. Job done, now for the escape.

- I walked out the door, down the street to where I had left my suit after sedating the catering guy, put on my suit and walked out.

A story spoiler:

47 kills Diana early in the game. But apparently the actual reason he's killing her isn't actually in the game, to find that out you have to buy a tie-in novel.

Allegedly,

you've gotta lay some beans down for the DLC to get the real ending.

Mark it down, a week after it's released, IO's gonna be all..

oigrn.gif

This doesn't sound TOO bad: :unsure:

Is there any way to turnn off the "Hitman Vision" I loved having to spot the target without the assistance or a straight give away?

Tore_IO @Wolfenhousen

27 minutes ago SHARE

We know that hardcore players resents being told what to do in Hitman games, so of course there is a way of turning off all help in the game. We also have an "ultra hard" difficulty setting called "purist", where our goal was to it even harder than Hitman: Codename 47 (The first Hitman game, which was notoriously difficult). This mode is only theoretically possible from our end, as the level designers are not good enough players to be able to finish their own levels in Purist for the Silent Assassin rank

Pre-order still cancelled though.. It's definitely going to be one to pick up at a later date, once the dust has settled and all tears of disappointment have been shed.

This doesn't sound TOO bad: :unsure:

Pre-order still cancelled though.. It's definitely going to be one to pick up at a later date, once the dust has settled and all tears of disappointment have been shed.

Again, he seems to think people who want to play the Hitman games for Silent Assassin ratings on the hardest difficulties are masochists. A difficulty which by his own admission is so difficult that it is effectively broken is not really a good thing.

And I have no idea why they keep saying that the previous games had a reputation for extreme difficulty. What horseshit.

HOW THE FUCK IS THAT SHIT SILENT ASSASSIN

WHAT THE FUCK

Edit- Went on the Kotaku 'interview' to ask him to explain this sort of thing in the video, but you have to register. I encourage someone who is already registered there to do so!

Yeah, a silent assassin rating wasn't difficult to achieve in the same way as say Halo on Legendary, Ninja Gaiden or Ikaruga etc. It was a reward for planning your mission and using the right tools / equipment. It shouldn't be something only elite players can achieve. Why don't they understand this?

Yeah, a silent assassin rating wasn't difficult to achieve in the same way as say Halo on Legendary, Ninja Gaiden or Ikaruga etc. It was a reward for planning your mission and using the right tools / equipment. It shouldn't be something only elite players can achieve. Why don't they understand this?

Seems they do judging by the wrestling assassination

Again, he seems to think people who want to play the Hitman games for Silent Assassin ratings on the hardest difficulties are masochists. A difficulty which by his own admission is so difficult that it is effectively broken is not really a good thing.

And I have no idea why they keep saying that the previous games had a reputation for extreme difficulty. What horseshit.

Exactly - and by all accounts is sounds like the game is frustratingly hard enough on the normal levels anyway. Not because it demands too much of the player but because of the unreliable disguises and fucked up checkpoints.

Well looking at that Kotaku feed someone asked the Creative Director about that method/match and he just said it was one of many ways to do it. Doesn't explain why the guy got a silent assassin rating but at least there's loads of other ways to do it regardless.

Well looking at that Kotaku feed someone asked the Creative Director about that method/match and he just said it was one of many ways to do it. Doesn't explain why the guy got a silent assassin rating but at least there's loads of other ways to do it regardless.

The other ones are probably "go backstage to kill him, cutscene occurs of you getting spotted, QTE boss fight occurs".

Is there any way to turnn off the "Hitman Vision" I loved having to spot the target without the assistance or a straight give away?

Tore_IO @Wolfenhousen

27 minutes ago SHARE

We know that hardcore players resents being told what to do in Hitman games, so of course there is a way of turning off all help in the game. We also have an "ultra hard" difficulty setting called "purist", where our goal was to it even harder than Hitman: Codename 47 (The first Hitman game, which was notoriously difficult). This mode is only theoretically possible from our end, as the level designers are not good enough players to be able to finish their own levels in Purist for the Silent Assassin rank

Eh, what? The reason the first Hitman game was so hard was because it had diabolical A.I and you could never tell when a disguise would work. Getting SA ranking in Blood Money was a reward for careful planning and a little luck, getting SA in Codename 47 was as wildly fortunate as the unknown element which blew in through the open window of Dr Fleming's lab to create penicillin.

Not a comparison which encourages me.

But you know, by this point I'm not sure I care if the game is shit as this has all been so much fun. Thread delivers.

Xaer0 an hour ago

How has the rating system changed in Hitman Absolution? Is the criteria still the same for rankings such as Silent Assassin?

Tore_IO @Xaer0 an hour ago

It's slightly different, but still the same basic criteria: be silent, unseen, leave no trace and make the kill look like an accident if you can. However we have worked a lot of the scoring system as we know Hitman players are highly competitive and we wanted to give them a system that was possible to understand as opposed to the pretty obscure Blood Money ratings.

Yes, being classed as a Silent Assassin by breaking a man's neck in front of a large crowd, after ripping off your mask dramatically, sure is more logical than what we had in Blood Money.

I cunting hate QTE's. Fuck you IO. Fuck you.

I loved Tomb Raider Anniversery but every time I think about going back to play it again the thing that stops me is how they ficked up the T-Rex encounter. A mismatched game of cat and mouse on the PS1/Saturn gets transformed into a fucking QTE. And a crap one at that.

I loathe QTE's. Especially because I can never see the amazing animation because my vision focuses down to the prompts. Half of God of War to me in my head is just X, Square, O, Triangle.

Late edit: Hang on guys....can one of you who bought the thing check out the box? I just want to make sure.

It doesn't have "Based on the legendary Uwe Boll film" written anywhere on the tin does it?

Allegedly,

you've gotta lay some beans down for the DLC to get the real ending.

Mark it down, a week after it's released, IO's gonna be all..

oigrn.gif

If that actually turns out to be true, then fuck IO, fuck this franchise, and fuck shity DLC. Ill never buy another of their games if its true, and hell, i liked K&L2 :(

Kane and Lynch both actually did ok, they went cheap super quick but I believe they were both very front loaded, hell I think Kane and Lynch 2 sold over a million at least. (no figures to back that up mind but I'm pretty certain I read that it did ok)

EDIT - Hmm maybe not, it did dismally in the US at least.

If this game bombs IO might not have another game. K&L 1&2 weren't exactly raging successes, I'd imagine they have a hell of a lot riding on this doing well sales wise.

I imagine it'll do quite well. From the sounds of things it's a good game, just a massive disappointment if you were hoping — not unreasonably — for a further iteration on Blood Money.

The flying fuck ? So Jesper Kyd was not even approached about doing the score for Absolution ? According to one of the unanswered questions anyway. That's fucking mental.

Recall that initially they had changed all the voice actors too, and were showing off shootout and escape sequences. They seem to have gone into this with an almost bloody-minded determination to change things like this in order to 'make their own game'. I'm being generous of course, it's just as likely they just didn't like those people or didn't think it mattered. After all, they were the creative minds behind the bloody K&L series :(