Hitman: Absolution - the craggy thread

Mr. Gerbik

So what actually happens if a gardener sees you dressed as a gardener for too long in Absolution? Does the disguise become worthless? Because that is totally shit if true.

It depends how you salvage the situation. Take out that guy who's tailing you and hide his body and you're all clear. Hide in the surroundings appropriately and you're all clear.

Try and walk away and you're not.

My memory of past Hitman games is very fuzzy but I think it's just normal to be honest.

So what actually happens if a gardener sees you dressed as a gardener for too long in Absolution? Does the disguise become worthless? Because that is totally shit if true.

In the case of the greenhouse, your cover is basically blown, because its too busy an area to salvage it. They run up to you and you have a few seconds to try and sort something out before everyone starts shooting at you.

I'm not happy with the disguise system at all. You can be dressed as a guard in a mansion and be on a balcony where other guards have patrolled. But if you walk along the balcony then someone in the room below will become suspicious from 50 feet away. So you end up creeping along the balcony which defeats the whole fucking purpose of a disguise. Essentially, a disguise in Absolution is merely there to give you 5 seconds grace from similarly dressed NPCs than 0 seconds grace.

It's a rubbish system tbh.

The point of a disguise system is to allow yourself to walk around freely to a certain extent. This is not how it works here. From the greenhouse example anyway.

Let's say there are around 8-10 people in the greenhouse. You can wear two disguises. Each of the disguises will make it easy to get past around 50 percent of those people in the greenhouse. The other 50 percent you still more or less need to sneak past. Essentially you could just have half the people in the greenhouse, no disguise and just sneak past them anyway. The disguise idea in that situation is pretty much pointless. It is just a way to fool players into thinking another stealth section is cooler than just vanilla sneaking because Agent 47 isn't wearing his suit and he doesn't need to be scraping his knees the entire time. It's total bullshit.

Whilst I don't disagree with what's been said, I wouldn't mind dashing a sprinkle of positivity in here.

- The scoring system is very good but missing the "Hitman outfit" bonus

- There are multiple unlocks/upgrades for 47, feeding and enticing replay value

- Multiple challenges per level ranging from simple "where's wally" stuff to killing someone in a specific manner

- Contracts seems cool, also like the fact you have to validate your contract before posting (like Trials Evo)

Pretty much agree with all that has been said and I will add my rage to the fire with more experience. My gut feeling so far: one step forward, two steps back.

It depends how you salvage the situation. Take out that guy who's tailing you and hide his body and you're all clear.

That'd be fine if the levels weren't so populous. And for the fact that half the time one guy shouting after you will alert one or two more to your presence.

The game tells you in the loading screen hints that walking away calmly will stop people from following you, which is patently untrue.

Sorry. To Lindelof means to add the words LITERALLY and JESUS into everything. An evolving meme in the Prometheus thread in Film and TV, based on Damon Lindelof's alleged script doctoring contribution to what was a good original film script.

Ah. I was literally using the word literally properly. Blatantly.

This turned up this morning unexpectedly (I forgot I pre-ordered from Shop-To ages ago because it was only £31) It's much more fluid and natural feeling than any previous Hitman and does allow for more improvisation than the previous games sneak perfectly or just shoot everyone. I've only done half a dozen or so levels, none of which have been the open playgrounds of Blood Money which is a crushing disappointment because the systems feel stepped up and all seem to be in place for them to work its just the levels that seem to be anti-Hitman, maybe they come later in the game.

While it is no Blood Money 2, I am having fun messing about on the Chinatown level and have replayed it a few times already and that's the first mission after the tutorial.

It could be a whole lot more going from reviews & other people's impressions but it seems like a 'good' game so far.

No Mexican wrestlers yet though.

Eurogamer has a Blood Money retrospective up today http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-11-18-hitman-blood-money-retrospective This may be utterly cynical, but after that I can't see them giving Absolution a good review. Also I bought Blood Money on the 360 yesterday I've only ever played the Xbox version. It takes me back...

My only experience of Hitman is trying to play the third one, getting to the first level, seeing two guys beyond a pane of glass and not being able to work out how to get out of the room I was in. :lol:

This looks kind of fun.

I am the worst type of person, aren't I.

What do people in this thread think of the film? While it's no masterpiece, I enjoyed it, and thought Olyphant fit the role really well. Its a little more actiony in parts than the games tend to be (though arguably you can play the game like that too) and the kind of patient, observation based problem solving isn't really there from what I remember. Though I think that would be really hard to do in film, so can see why they went the path they did.

It would be funny if there were a directors cut somewhere, where he spends 20 minutes wandering around and looking at a map, before eventually deciding what to do, only to not notice someone else when he kills someon for their uniform, kill 5 people, hide them all in the nearby loo hoping tat works, only for the alarm to be raised seconds later and then think fuck it, and mysteriously restart at the start like it was all a dream.

I thought the film was terrible. Daft action sequences, a too-straight faced Olyphant, and that fight on the train with the swords - ridiculous.

Really enjoyed it to be honest :) Wasn't anything special but it passed the time.

He seemed to know what he was talk about but then his praising of the opening level of Blood Money as a fine free form experience confused me a bit.

I'm not sure about 'quite positive' though. He talks about the linear confined levels leaving a bitter taste in his mouth, criticises the disguise system, etc. Basically everything people here have been worried about.

What the hell is that

shooting range crap at the gun shop

? Second time I've seen that bit now and it didn't seem any less weird, both from the POV of it being totally un-Hitman and that it seems like something from a tutorial mission. But then we are hardly in need of further confirmation that they didn't really get it...

Total Biscuit's video is up.

He seems quite positive about it, aside from the starting hour or so which doesn't feel feel Hitman-ish at all.

I got the impression he didn't think it was particularly good at all, apart from the graphics, scripting and voicework. He said the actual gameplay was alright, but that 'long term veteran hitman fans won't find what they're looking for'. He particularly didn't like the fact it feels very linear and the first four hours in particular are essentially set in Chicago alleyways whilst you avoid the police. He also said in the 5 or so hours he'd played at the point of the video, there were only two traditional hitman style levels - one of them being the Chinatown one we've seen.

The disguise system is mental. They've changed it for the worst and even walking past someone can alert them, even if you're not doing anything, unless you blow loads of your instincts metre 'blending in'. In the harder difficulties you don't get the instincts thing, so does that mean disguises are essentially useless, then? He also said the AI could be dumb as a post and there was one section in the Chinatown level where was crouched right next to a target whilst the target had a conversation with someone else and no one noticed the fact he was there, in a police uniform, crouched like he was having a shit in plain view.

It sounds like you'll have to get into the mindset that you're playing a distinctive baldie with a highly visible barcode on the back of your head. To paraphrase Pulp Fiction's WInston Wolf: "if a cop stops you and starts sticking his big snout in the subterfuge won’t last, but at a glance everything will appear to be normal."

Although I am utterly devastated that the follow up to Blood Money I've been dreaming up in my head for seven years hasn't materialised, I still don't think I've been this excited about a game in years. Just one classic Hitman level is enough for me.