Hitman: Absolution - the craggy thread

Mr. Gerbik

RPS pretty damning.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/18/wot-i-think-hitman-absolution/

No wonder they concentrated so much on the Chinatown level in marketing after the initial poor response, it looks like it's the only Blood Money style level in the game.

The Battle Nuns sound even skeevier in the main game than the awful trailer.

They're all victims of domestic abuse getting their revenge on the entire male gender by dressing up in Anne Summer's outfits to kill them.

Their conclusion says it all:

The ending threatens a sequel in similar style but also promises something of a blank slate. If this were the first Hitman game I’d played, I wouldn’t want to play another, but there’s just about enough in Absolution’s finer moments to keep the hope alive. Remember though: it’s the hope, not the hitman, that kills you in the end. As it is, I’ve already reinstalled Bloody Money as a sort of palate cleanser and I suggest you do the same.

And damn IO for letting me get my hopes up for using the only Blood Money style level as the Gamescom demo. Makes the crushing disappointment even worse :(

There are objectives in the game that involve walking through the only entrance to a room and aiming at someone’s face in slow motion. React too slowly and they shoot first and then gloat in game over scenes that you may remember from Batman’s adventures in Arkham.

Silence often seems a matter of patience rather than skill. I just loaded a level to confirm a suspicion and completed it twice – once only killing the target, and once killing everyone. There are no innocents as such, just a villain and eight of his goons. Here’s how I killed them. Walked forward, shot two men, turned right, walked forward, turned left, shot two men, opened a door, went down some stairs, turned left and then killed the target and the rest of his men in a forced slow motion targeting scene.

The silent way was the same except instead of the first two instances of shooting men, I crouched behind a wall and waited for men to stop talking and turn their backs on the door I needed to go through. It’s also worth noting that during the turning and the walking forward, I wasn’t choosing a route, I was following the only one available. In that situation, my options were nothing to do with completing the level cleanly, they were about finishing a dull segment of a game as quickly as possible.

There are entire missions with no choice at all – walk to door, open door, perform prescribed action. One is about buying a suit and it took almost as long for the game to tally up my score at the end as it did for me to complete the level. The very fact that buying a suit doesn’t take place in a cutscene but several of the actual kills do is surely cause for dismay.

Whatever your approach, whatever you did up to the point of the kill, it’s all flushed away in a cutscene starring a giant sack of hammers who is more Hulk than human and a 47 who screws everything up. It’s not the only time the game takes away control and forces a contrived conclusion to a hit – and for what? An escape sequence that owes more to Uncharted than Hitmen past, followed by a long run from the law.

Sounds great, guys.

Yeah after some more play the majority of the levels have been avoiding guards etc and going from a to b but with no designated targets to kill.

Weird that they would take that approach what with him being a Hitman and on the title screen fmv he says that's what he does.

It is an enjoyable game but Hitman it ain't.

While some levels do appear to assume the necessity of instinct, in others it can bugger things up entirely. I played on hard up to a point and then switched to normal so that I could finish the final missions without constantly replaying firefights. While still on hard, with more limited checkpoints and less instinct, I made my way, silently and unseen, through a series of food stalls patrolled by elite soldiers. At the last moment before exiting the level, I was spotted and thought I’d have to replay the last ten minutes. The prospect of doing so made me reach for a bottle of bourbon, hands trembling. But then I managed to kill about thirty men and move on anyway.

I decided to replay and attempt to do things quietly and used instinct to cover my face and walk from one end of the level to the next. I used one piece of cover at the beginning, but otherwise just strolled through, undetected. This is not a level that has been balanced effectively for all difficulties, if any. I enjoy testing the limits of games, particularly sandbox murder-sims, but Absolution is more like being the one kid on the see-saw than building cities in a sandbox.

Which makes purist mode a laughably incompetent and lazy addition in a cynical, uncaring attempt to placate the fans of the previous Hitman games. As I suspected from everything they've said up until now.

There are entire missions with no choice at all – walk to door, open door, perform prescribed action. One is about buying a suit and it took almost as long for the game to tally up my score at the end as it did for me to complete the level. The very fact that buying a suit doesn’t take place in a cutscene but several of the actual kills do is surely cause for dismay.
Whatever your approach, whatever you did up to the point of the kill, it’s all flushed away in a cutscene starring a giant sack of hammers who is more Hulk than human and a 47 who screws everything up. It’s not the only time the game takes away control and forces a contrived conclusion to a hit – and for what? An escape sequence that owes more to Uncharted than Hitmen past, followed by a long run from the law.

:facepalm:

I feel another Gifageddon coming on...

I'm playing Hitman Contracts.

Not the mode on this game but the PS2 version. The first mission needed me to sneak out of an asylum but I didn't need to fire a shot or crouch or sneak.

And that level is, together with the traditional set-piece heavy last level, the most linear level in the entire game. I fucking loved Contracts, it's very close to Blood Money - all the freedom and sanboxy goodness are in there, but the gameplay mechanics and controls are still a bit janky. As a Hitman game it's halfway between Silent Assassin in Bloodmoney. Lots of people speak negatively of it it but to be honest I never understood why.

I think for many of the guys in here moaning about the game - myself included - it doesn't particularly matter what score places give it if it goes with the caveat 'but it's not a Hitman game', which all of them seem to do at the moment, in one form or another. I didn't want a stealth game, I wanted a Hitman game. They are extremely different types of game. Hitman is more of a 3rd person murder puzzle game, not a stealth game.

Apaprently your score at the end is only based upon the final checkpoint of the area. So you could massacre everyone, go through a checkpoint, sneak to the end and get Silent Assassin.

As for the reviews, from this point on they say more about the reviewer than the game. Anything which says something like "classic Hitman, Agent 47 is BACK!" can safely be ignored forever.

Finally, I'm installing Blood Money now. Quite excited to jump back into it.

Apparently your score at the end is only based upon the final checkpoint of the area. So you could massacre everyone, go through a checkpoint, sneak to the end and get Silent Assassin.

That... is absolutely (ho ho ho) terrible. One of many design decisions which painfully show that not only were they not even attempting to make another Hitman game, they didn't even 'get' the few token Hitman elements they shoved into their stealthy action game starring a bald man.

As for the reviews, from this point on they say more about the reviewer than the game. Anything which says something like "classic Hitman, Agent 47 is BACK!" can safely be ignored forever.

Exactly. If a site gives it a good score because they genuinely think it's good sneak 'em up with decent action, fair enough. But if a reviewer shamelessly tries to convince his or her readers that it's everything a Hitman fan could want, then he or she is an unprofessional shamelessly lying cynical piece of shit.

Apaprently your score at the end is only based upon the final checkpoint of the area. So you could massacre everyone, go through a checkpoint, sneak to the end and get Silent Assassin.

This really fucked me up.

I caused mayhem, killed everybody then got in a lift = achievement unlocked. "Successfully snuck through an entire checkpoint undetected".

WTF.

As someone who currently couldn't care less about Hitman (having only ever briefly played the demo of the first one) I have to say this has been a supremely entertaining thread to read for the last few days.

What it has done though is make me install Blood Money, which I've had sitting unused in my Steam library for ages (I think I picked it up for a couple of quid in a sale when it seemed rude not to). I'll give it a go later - looking forward to it.

"The very fact that buying a suit doesn’t take place in a cutscene but several of the actual kills do is surely cause for dismay."

That is one of the larger understatements I've seen in a while but does nicely sum up this whole debacle.

Despite the fact that I already fully accepted that this is an omnishambles of near DNF proportions I was still wavering over it, thinking maybe there was enough in there to make it worthwhile, but the appearance of a few more real reviews has sealed it. My only glimmer of hope for the future is the fact that all of these previously embargoed reviews are ultimately saying almost exactly the same thing might mean someone that has some sway in the matter will put their head out of their Splinter Cell loving, mass market chasing, fan hating cheeks and save the next one. Given though that it would need this one to sell badly as well to make that happen and that BM didn't do as well as the earlier games, I wonder if the more likely outcomes are either more of the same or just no more at all :(

I was contemplating picking up Contracts cheap on Steam instead - I've been mostly enjoying my repeat playthrough of Blood Money and I doubt Contracts has aged much more badly - but it doesn't seem to be on there. The first screenshot for H2:SA did make me laugh though. You can just imagine the elaborately planned stealth failure that immediately preceded it.

Contracts is difficult to get hold of due to licensing issues. A lot of people give Contracts grief, but I for one really enjoyed it - it wasn't without its flaws, but it was very enjoyable, featured some cracking levels and, most importantly, remade 'Tools of the Trade', the greatest level of any game ever. It was also the first of the series to really explore the dark humour it is well known for, although elements were present from the first game.

And that level is, together with the traditional set-piece heavy last level, the most linear level in the entire game. I fucking loved Contracts, it's very close to Blood Money - all the freedom and sanboxy goodness are in there, but the gameplay mechanics and controls are still a bit janky. As a Hitman game it's halfway between Silent Assassin in Bloodmoney. Lots of people speak negatively of it it but to be honest I never understood why.

Contracts is slower to reveal its charms, but looking back over its level list when compared to Silent Assassin, it's clearly superior. A couple of design decisions almost killed it for me: not being able to take a silenced pistol with you on your first playthrough (unlike SA, in which I unlocked a silenced Beretta after the first mission and was able to take it with me on every subsequent missions), and the fact that you start so many missions already in restricted areas. This, combined with the lack of a silenced weapon, was really off-putting, and I almost gave up on it altogether. Luckily replaying missions gives you the chance to choose your equipment, and levels like Beldingford Manor, which I initially found highly frustrating, are actually among the best in any of the games.

That's the one I've got, I thought it was the third, which I tried to play it on Xbox originally. I bought it in a steam sale recently but when I go to run it, it honks at me.

Does it give you some message like 'Failed to find Steam' ? I had problems with starting it up but when I ran Steam as an administrator it worked fine.