Hitman: Absolution - the craggy thread

Mr. Gerbik

I can't remember, I'll give it a go sometime soon!

For those who care, the PC version performance stuff is fixed apparently:

A note from Tom: At the time I reviewed it for the print edition of PC Gamer, the PC version of Hitman: Absolution suffered from serious performance problems. These have since been fixed, and I’ve had the chance to verify that on our own machines. Since it’s still not out, there doesn’t seem much point in dinging it for a problem you won’t have. So in this online version, I’ve amended the bit that was no longer accurate.

Videogamer review of Absolution by our very own Rudderless. A very interesting read and it emphasis en expands on the criticisms of the PC Gamer and RPS reviews.

This nails it:

The problem with Absolution is that its new custodians from the Kane and Lynch team seem to have fundamentally misunderstood what made Hitman great. If Io was attempting to make it more accessible then it's almost entirely failed, with more restrictive, prescriptive and awkward design allied to a challenge that is pleasingly firm but often infuriatingly unfair. If the desire was to make a Hitman for the purists, well, it's failed there too: the segmented sandboxes here simply aren't as expansive or as flexible as before. Hitman wasn't great because it was hard: it was great because it rewarded curiosity, experimentation and invention. This is what genuinely mature gaming is all about, not swearing, tits and gratuitous unpleasantness.

And the conclusion says it all:

Occasionally you'll witness flashes of brilliance, glimpses that suggest Io could yet salvage something from this wreckage for its next Hitman game. And then you finish a stage with a tedious quick-time event, snapping the neck of a morbidly obese Danny Trejo-alike in a wrestling match watched by hundreds - astonishingly earning yourself a Silent Assassin rating in the process - and you shake your head sadly and wonder how it all went so badly wrong.

But I recommend reading the whole review for a comprehensive overview of the many ways in which Absolution fails to live to the rest of the series and its own potential :)

Blood Money is £14:99 on the Games on Demand thing on Xbox Live, just, y'know, so you know.

I've seen plenty of second hand copies too, although I don't know the going rate at the moment.

The PC version is €10 (£8?) on Steam, but you can get it for half that on Green Man Gaming, but then you need to run it through 'Capsule' or something like that. Never heard of it, apparently it's also some DRM thing.

You can get it on Games On Demand for about 15 quid I think. It's a bit tricky to get hold of a retail 360 copy now.

There seems to be loads for sale on Amazon. New copies as well. Although, I wouldn't be surprised if they're mint condition trade-ins being flogged as new.

Nap, if you want it on Steam then wait a bit. Blood Money is of the those games that always pops up for an euro or two during the Steam sales.

I'm currently getting one from the high seas to see if and how it runs and plays on my PC in the first place. If I like it with keyboard + mouse on PC, I'll indeed wait for a Steam sale or something. If I don't like it, I'll track down a second hand 360 copy in Game Mania.

/edit/ Ah, pre-used in Game Mania is 20 euro too, just like GoD ... meh.

It was designed with PC controls in mind (it was in development right before the start of the current gen) so you'll find it actually works better with m+kb. But that of course also depends on your personal preference for either control system. But even I, as a console gamer, think it works great with m+kb.

I was surprised but forgave that as it was the tutorial and story related. Still a bit shit but the next level is a good one.

You're right, the next level was a good one. There's loads of ways to take out the target so I'll probably be giving that a few replays.

The 3rd level though, oh dear. From the start it looks great, it has potential, but then the broken disguise mechanic ruins it for me. Damn :(

Contracts is slower to reveal its charms, but looking back over its level list when compared to Silent Assassin, it's clearly superior. A couple of design decisions almost killed it for me: not being able to take a silenced pistol with you on your first playthrough (unlike SA, in which I unlocked a silenced Beretta after the first mission and was able to take it with me on every subsequent missions), and the fact that you start so many missions already in restricted areas. This, combined with the lack of a silenced weapon, was really off-putting, and I almost gave up on it altogether. Luckily replaying missions gives you the chance to choose your equipment, and levels like Beldingford Manor, which I initially found highly frustrating, are actually among the best in any of the games.

The crown of "Best Hitman Game" is shared between Contracts & Blood Money, although slightly skewed inf favour of BM. Beldingford Manor was an incredible level; there were just so many ways to carry out your task. I just liked how dark Contracts was, and the music was better.

I hated Beldingford Manor at first as it just seemed impossible to do without being seen/massacring everyone. Eventually though, like you say, it reveals itself and the options really suck you in. Having said that, I can't remember many of those options off the top of my head now. I think I used to smother him with a pillow, but I think you could poison his whisky or something?

Tools of the Trade was epic. Whenever I was bored or needed to burn off a little frustration with the game, I'd load that up, tool myself to the hilt and just annihilate everyone.

Not from Contracts, but I always loved A Basement Killing. I played that one over and over.

Ah, wait, is the HD Collection out already? Somehow its release passed me by completely. Amazon has the PC version for £5.87, it seems. Tempted to buy it even though I'm pretty broke right now.

edit: Wait, that's not the HD collection, it's just a collection. Strange, I didn't think they could sell Contracts at all at the moment.

I'll try find time to give it a go. Although if he wanted to emphasise how long ago BM came out he should have said it was an original Xbox title and not 360. A very minor and petty point I know.

What is the video essentially? Just a review?

Never heard of them before...

He is essentially a pretty cynical British bloke and the WTF videos are generally quite in-depth opinions on a particular game. I can imagine people find him pretty marmite but I've always thought he was pretty honest if not quite an knowledgable as he tries to make out.

Gah sorry, how the hell did I miss that. Oh well.