Hitman: Absolution - the craggy thread

Mr. Gerbik

Definitely, they don't get suspicious if they can't see your face.

That's not my experience at all. I've been spotted from 20 yards away facing in the opposite direction. What's worse is that you have about a second to get out of their sightline before they start tailing you, and their shouts tend to alert at least one other person. And isolating them to take them out without any fuss is difficult when just about every sodding room in the game is full of people, or at the very least on someone's patrol path.

The most reliable way I've found is that daft thing where you use Instinct and 47 half-covers his face and lowers his head, and even then that doesn't work all the time.

So playing PS2 Contracts, the disguises work great but I can't figure out how to kill anyone :facepalm: Could've sworn the meat hook in the chicken worked but it just ends up on the floor and if I swipe Sturrock, nothing happens.

That's not my experience at all. I've been spotted from 20 yards away facing in the opposite direction. What's worse is that you have about a second to get out of their sightline before they start tailing you, and their shouts tend to alert at least one other person.

I'm only playing on Hard so maybe it's more forgiving? I've found that detection arrow can go quite far without them getting suspicious so I've just kept walking and tried to put an obstacle or other person between me and them. I've not had any issues since doing it this way :)

and Barny makes another excellent contribution.

Are you too stupid to read these posts in their proper context?

Nobody here thinks that this game being a disappointment matters much in the grand scheme of things. You probably won't find Gerbik windmilling through the Savile thread screaming:

"WHO GIVES A SHIT?! THEY FUCKED UP HITMAN!!!"

but yeah in this thread, peopled by big fans of a much loved series, you may read some dissenting posts.

Oh shit IO raped and pillaged a small village where your mom lives. No they just made a game the nerdz don't like. GET A LIFE!

We're all 'nerdz' here, chap. It's just a difference of opinion - I'm not a big fan of the game is all. I'm disappointed in it, but life goes on, y'know?

I remember in Silent Assassin and Contracts the suspicion-o-metre would often go crazy but it took quite a lot for someone to actually blow your cover.

Yeah, it takes a lot less here. You don't have to be looking at someone for them to be suspicious. Even when you think you're giving someone a wide berth, you can rarely put enough distance between yourself and the person whose attention you've aroused, mainly because most of the levels are smaller with fewer places to hide properly, bar ducking down behind cover. As I said in my review, you're less likely to attract attention bobbing up and down repeatedly behind the obligatory waist-high walls than walking around calmly.

and Barny makes another excellent contribution.

Are you too stupid to read these posts in their proper context?

Nobody here thinks that this game being a disappointment matters much in the grand scheme of things. You probably won't find Gerbik windmilling through the Savile thread screaming:

"WHO GIVES A SHIT?! THEY FUCKED UP HITMAN!!!"

but yeah in this thread, peopled by big fans of a much loved series, you may read some dissenting posts.

This needs to be quoted. A very good and earnest post. Thank u!!

:lol:

From someone who usually only reads the steam thread in here the biggest shocks from the past few pages here are that Gerbik is a console gamer and that English isn't his first language.

It's quite likely that blood money will be in a steam sale when this comes out right? That happens sometimes with sequels doesn't it?

From someone who usually only reads the steam thread in here the biggest shocks from the past few pages here are that Gerbik is a console gamer and that English isn't his first language.

It's quite likely that blood money will be in a steam sale when this comes out right? That happens sometimes with sequels doesn't it?

Yeah, I'm Dutch. There are more of us here than you'd think :)

Blood Money is one of those games which are always heavily discounted during the big Steam sales, so even if it doesn't pop up around the Absolution launch this week, I'd advice waiting a bit

Bit of Hitman gushing here, so please bare with me:

I downloaded Contracts earlier, purely for the Beldingford Manor mission, but then I remembered the hotel mission which is absolutely brilliant.

Makes me think of what a genius idea this series is. Not just because of the sandbox element, but because of how much freedom the actual game concept gives the developers in terms of environment. It's the environment that defines these games. So many great missions you could play again and again purely based on the setting and level design.

It's ridiculous how much creative freedom they've given themselves with something a mere as "We've got a contract killer, and he's going places to kill people". Sorry if my post content seems a little shallow, or I seem somewhat obtuse, but replaying this game eight years on really opened my eyes to it.

English is not my first language :( And I'm pretty sure I've heard Americans use 'emblematic' in this context.

Actually either can work in this context. Hitman being symptomatic means it is a sign of something undesirable - in this case the growing trend of 'dumbing down' games to suit modern audiences. Emblematic would suggest that the game serves as a visible representation of an abstract concept - again, that there is a perceived growing trend within the industry and this game is symbolic of that. Both work. :)

Actually either can work in this context. Hitman being symptomatic means it is a sign of something undesirable - in this case the growing trend of 'dumbing down' games to suit modern audiences. Emblematic would suggest that the game serves as a visible representation of an abstract concept - again, that there is a perceived growing trend within the industry and this game is symbolic of that. Both work. :)

I knew it! Thanks for the clarification - English language skills +1 :D

It's quite likely that blood money will be in a steam sale when this comes out right?

Or go old school: I picked up a second hand PC copy on Ebay ages ago for about £2 or something silly. (Conveniently there are no CD checks or anything - I was going to download a crack then realised I didn't even need to bother.)

I had another good session on the

strip club

level yesterday which seems to be the next sandbox level with a hit after Chinatown.

Again the disguises worked well - I was dressed as a security guard and could walk through crowds of punters turning away from other guards without setting anyone off and it gave me access to the closed off section. Other regular staff in there ignored me and I avoided the other guards by being careful like in the train station, no crouching required just not doing anything silly.

Definitely, they don't get suspicious if they can't see your face.

Because there's nothing suspicious about the prominent barcode tattoo he has on the back of his head?

Or, I guess, the huge rectangular plaster/scar he has there if the game has him hide/remove it in a cutscene or something.

The Strip Club level was pretty good. It involved a classic Hitman style kill which felt fantastic!

From what I've played so far, two thirds of this game is pointless, Splinter Cell stealth pish, and the remaining third is more "Hitman". This is due to each chapter being split into "Stealth your way to Hitman area", "Perform hit in Hitman area" and "Escape hit using stealth".

On my third "Hitman" level and it's just the Chinatown area from earlier with some alleyways blocked off, others opened up. Still fun* though.

*Don't ban me, please.

Its kinda sad to see people (not just you wallace, im not picking on you! ive seen it on other forums too) saying its great when its a Hitman game but shit when it isnt. Cause surely the point of a hitman game is that it should be 100% Hitman, and not 33% Hitman, 33% Kane & Lynch, and 33% Cutscene assasinations/WWE.

Ill be picking this up at some point but even as someone who was only ever a mild fan of Hitman, its a shame to see it become another franchise that got raped this year.

Its kinda sad to see people (not just you wallace, im not picking on you! ive seen it on other forums too) saying its great when its a Hitman game but shit when it isnt. Cause surely the point of a hitman game is that it should be 100% Hitman, and not 33% Hitman, 33% Kane & Lynch, and 33% Cutscene assasinations/WWE.

Ill be picking this up at some point but even as someone who was only ever a mild fan of Hitman, its a shame to see it become another franchise that got raped this year.

Agreed, none of us want anything less than 100% Hitman and its pretty depressing to play through some crappy stealth corridor sections to be rewarded with the game you thought you were buying.

Hopefully, once I've been through all the levels, the challenges, scoring system and Contracts mode will offer some fun replay value of the Hitman game.

I know the PC Gamer review's been online for a while, but how long have the other bad reviews been up?

Just checked Metacritic, and the lowest review score they're showing is 80- the average at the moment is 87% for god's sake!!!

Rock Paper Shotgun's review has been up since Saturday but since they don't give numerical scores (or letter ratings) it won't be counted by Metacritic.