Hitman: Absolution - the craggy thread

Mr. Gerbik

Rock Paper Shotgun's review has been up since Saturday but since they don't give numerical scores (or letter ratings) it won't be counted by Metacritic.

Just gone back on to it and it seems to have the bad reviews now, maybe I was looking at an old version of the page or something.

I didn't cancel my pre-order in the end, I'm hoping someone will just mod the shit out the game and "fix" it. It also sounds like at least some of the game is pretty decent. Personally I used to love walking out of missions in plain sight, all innocent looking and stuff. Like on A New Life, I'd put the suit back on despite not needing to and waltz off into the sunset as the FBI flipped out at the murder scene. I don't think I like having to sneak around too much, as I said it's never really been a stealth game for me.

You get the other Hitman games when you pre-order, which I didn't realise when I pre-ordered. Started Blood Money again but hate playing with mouse+keyboard.

Tbh, I'm a bit surprised some people are still angry about the current state of videogame journalism. Those who've been playing games for the last 10 years or longer are well aware about the only (more or less) trustworthy publications (PCGamer, Edge, Eurogamer... ) available, and even there you still have to read between the lines sometimes.

The exception of course are the really big titles like CoD and Assassin's Creed. For games from that magnitude, I only ever trust this forum tbh.

Take this gen's Hitman; alright game, but by no means up to the high standards set by Blood Money or even Contracts. That's what I make from the reviews.

Haha. With the guy's beloved metacritic score for the 360 version now sitting at 79% (and that takes into account all the dorito-receptive sites and magazines such as IGN giving it the standard 9/10 for any game with a big marketing budget), he has done this. Which amuses me for some reason.

UPDATE 3: We have changed the headline from "Critics delighted with Agent 47's return in Hitman: Absolution" to "Reviews go live for Hitman: Absolution".

Well, at least Hitman: Absolution has led to the revisiting and escalation of the games journalism furore, and so will indirectly provide me with hours of entertainment no matter what. Good job, MCV!

MCV, haha. I for one hope people keep calling out BS like this forever now.

I'm just overhearing our PR team ripping into the piece, it's pretty funny. I'm not sure this sort of stuff does MCV any good. Surely it's a bad sign when your own readership thinks you're a joke? I guess it's aimed at retail buyers but still.

The Journalistic Defence Force are out in, er, force, on Twitter, mind. John Walker being called 'King of the trolls' for complaining about the article, the author of the piece "getting pretty fucking tired of Twitter seeing conspiracy in everything where there really isn't one", plus the standard cries that it's all hand-wringing nonsense over nothing.

In other words: very, very entertaining. I highly recommend getting on Twitter and gradually following the involved parties, assuming you enjoy drama.

Update 2 is my favourite.

UPDATE 2: OK. After lots of comments and people engaging with us on Twitter, it’s probably right to point out that other outlets have indeed scored the game along the same lines as Eurogamer or lower. These include PC Gamer (66%), Edge (7/10), Gamespy (7/10), Gamespot UK (7.5/10) and Gametrailers (6.9/10).

We should also add that other positive reviews have appeared on the Metacritic, too, including GamesRadar (4.5/5), Spong (8/10) and GamesMaster (9/10).

So 7/10 or 7.5 = bad and 8/10 = positive. A PR chasm.

Someone needs to score and write the lyrics for an Always Sunny / this thread mashup musical, The Hitman Cometh. With plenty of GIFs.

Hitman (woo-ooh)

Hider-in-the-night man (woo-ooh)

Champion of the hit

You're a master of disguise

With stealth kills for everyone

So, this comes out in Aus first (due to timezones - it's a worldwide 20th November release, and for them it's the 20th now). Anybody keen enough to try and find an Australian VPN to connect through to play it early? I certainly can't wait to beat up a wrestler in the ring - to finally, really hit a man in Hitman.