Hitman: Absolution - the craggy thread

Mr. Gerbik

I just got a txt to say my GAME pre-order is in tomorrow, there goes the plan of buying Sonic racing thingy instead it seems.

There's no way I'd be able to cancel the pre-order in store instead of buying it is there? A pre-order isn't also a promise to buy is it? I suppose they're going to be awkward about the sniper mode thing though aren't they? Wonder if I bring that with me it might help...

I just got a txt to say my GAME pre-order is in tomorrow, there goes the plan of buying Sonic racing thingy instead it seems.

There's no way I'd be able to cancel the pre-order in store instead of buying it is there? A pre-order isn't also a promise to buy is it? I suppose they're going to be awkward about the sniper mode thing though aren't they? Wonder if I bring that with me it might help...

No way man. A pre-order isn't a contract of sale, it's an indication that you intend to buy and a request to have an item put aside for that purpose to ensure availability when you want to pick it up. You're totally within your rights to change your mind should you so wish and buy the clearly superior Sonic racing.

Freedom Fighters posts above reminded me: is it officially confirmed it just rumoured that another studio is making the next Hitman game?

Square Montreal's website even has the trademark silverballers. I am sure there was a blurb about the game on there the other day too, seems to have gone, oddly.

http://www.square-enix-montreal.com

It'll be a while away, I expect.

I'm just overhearing our PR team ripping into the piece, it's pretty funny. I'm not sure this sort of stuff does MCV any good. Surely it's a bad sign when your own readership thinks you're a joke? I guess it's aimed at retail buyers but still.

Oh I wish I was in on that banter, miss that office :(

It could still be a good game without being like previous instalments. What if it was a FPS better than Halo or a RPG better than A Link to the Past - should it be marked lower because of earlier games and its name?

Obviously I'm exaggerating the issue to make my point but it can still be a good game.

I've spent a lot of the day at work thinking about it too, the last game like that was Borderlands 2 and I can't remember the one before that.

Square Montreal's website even has the trademark silverballers. I am sure there was a blurb about the game on there the other day too, seems to have gone, oddly.

Has there been any information on why development was moved there? A couple of reasons spring to mind: i) they saw Absolution and realised it was a turd of biblical proportions, ii) they're going for a CoD style every other year thing.

From what they say though, it's the 'Contracts' mode that redeems the game from being totally average; and not like Hitman at all.

Most reviews have been busy saying that it's not possible to evaluate this yet since it's so reliant on other players' creations. I can't really see how it's going to make much difference when it sounds like there's not even a handful of suitable sandbox-y levels. Personally I think it would be fairly difficult to come up with worthwhile variants on even the more free-form levels from earlier games with such limited scope for setup changes. I can see a certain appeal in coming up with and/or playing devious variants on levels with seemingly impossible criteria but it would only be a nice bonus to the base game, not something that could save this towering pile of cock.

For a sequel to a game that people liked, there is an inherent expectation that it will be like the kind of thing you enjoyed about the previous game that needs to be lived up to. If Halo 4 turned out to be the greatest football sim ever made, should it receive a perfect 10?

I dunno. A game should be judged on its own merits and not just because it belongs to a series, despite any changes to successful formula. If Halo 3 was a 10 but Halo 4 was shit, should they score it a 10 just because it was functionally similar to Halo 3? I'm of the opinion that the same applies in this instance.

Unless the game is total guff, I reckon I'd probably enjoy it despite it not being Hitman if it wasn't for the fact that the only thing I actually wanted from the game was for it to be Hitman.

For a sequel to a game that people liked, there is an inherent expectation that it will be like the kind of thing you enjoyed about the previous game that needs to be lived up to. If Halo 4 turned out to be the greatest football sim ever made, should it receive a perfect 10?

Yes?

Sure why not.

Completely stumped on the Orphanage. It's another sneakathon area. Playing on Hard, and I just can't get anywhere without blowing the shit out of everything. So frustrating :( I'm obviously supposed to find a way around without being detected, but I really just want it done so I can play another Hitman level...

You guys are debating over an issue that isn't really in dispute. Resident Evil 4 was nothing much like the one ones but balls out awesome, so it can happen. The problem with this game was the pre release marketing. It was a mess of confusion with constantly differing messages from the devs to the fans. At first they made it very clear that it was a new beast- predictable backlash but also early enough for that to ride out and for IO to prove that while they are taking a different direction, it will have merit in it. But nope, what they did was then say how much there will be in there for old fans and showed off the chinatown level and even got our own poor gerbik excited. There was a mix of marketing which was just asking for trouble.

Even after all that, it is just a decent stealth game with elements of a previous franchise. If Resident Evil 4 turned out to be a 6 or 7/10 generic action game then you can totally be assured that fans of the series would have gone mental rather than welcoming the changes. People are happy when a series takes a new direction provided the new direction actually has some redeeming merit.

Completely stumped on the Orphanage. It's another sneakathon area. Playing on Hard, and I just can't get anywhere without blowing the shit out of everything. So frustrating :( I'm obviously supposed to find a way around without being detected, but I really just want it done so I can play another Hitman level...

I spent something like 4 hours on this one. What I've found is you can sneak your way around to two of the fuses (the one on the upper level and the one in the room with the pool ball) and for the other two I just used instinct while disguised as a goon to blend my way through it, keeping moving when someone got suspicious then getting into the elevator before they could catch up with me. It's a supremely frustrating level.

That levels all about divide & conquer, I baited one away at a time and then took great pleasure in killing every last one seeing as what they were doing there. The ball pit's great for putting them all in too.

I played a level last night in the most un-hitman way possible,

it was the mines leading upto the weapons factory

, it's really linear and only has one type of npc so to do it properly would be really frustrating and un-rewarding so I just blew through it in minutes with machine guns and mines.

I've spent a lot of the day at work thinking about it too, the last game like that was Borderlands 2 and I can't remember the one before that.

Dawn of War 2 had the same issue (and, like this/unlike RE4, was only a 'good' example of its new genre), and so received a similarly mixed reception. I can't recall if it was marketed so heavily as a faithful successor to DoW, though (I don't like Dawn of War, so didn't pay much attention). It is a tough one.

You guys are debating over an issue that isn't really in dispute. Resident Evil 4 was nothing much like the one ones but balls out awesome, so it can happen. The problem with this game was the pre release marketing. It was a mess of confusion with constantly differing messages from the devs to the fans. At first they made it very clear that it was a new beast- predictable backlash but also early enough for that to ride out and for IO to prove that while they are taking a different direction, it will have merit in it. But nope, what they did was then say how much there will be in there for old fans and showed off the chinatown level and even got our own poor gerbik excited. There was a mix of marketing which was just asking for trouble.

Even after all that, it is just a decent stealth game with elements of a previous franchise. If Resident Evil 4 turned out to be a 6 or 7/10 generic action game then you can totally be assured that fans of the series would have gone mental rather than welcoming the changes. People are happy when a series takes a new direction provided the new direction actually has some redeeming merit.

Resi 4 was a totally different game because Resi had gotten totally stale as a formula so it needed to be shaken up. Hitman was just finding its niche with Blood Money and a sequel shouldve taken the best of Blood Money and made it better, not removed most of the assassinations and made it a bad stealth game.

A game being different and brilliant doesn't suddenly make it a shit game.

The problem is Hitman was unique, and sHitman is basically like a bunch of other games (Splinter Cell Conviction, itself a horribly watered down version of its series, as the most obvious example), so it's a loss of variety. Not only that Blood Money was a classic, one of the best games of the generation, and a game that built on that foundation could have be astounding and been referenced for generations to come. What sHitman has aimed to be is basically the gaming equivalent of junk food - dumb disposable cruft that no-one will give a shit about in two months, and judging by reviews it's not even great at that compared to its competitors (if you want to play a game where you sneak around in cover and occasionally blast guys away you might as well just play Conviction).

What's really frustrating for me is that the resources thrown at this entry are fuck knows how many times greater than for previous ones and the fidelity is on a completely new level. Absopootion is utterly amazing visually and aurally so it's even more agonising to imagine what could have been with a halfway competent design team.